What's new

Do I need to lap my hones?

New to straight shaving, also new to honing. I sent one razor off to be honed, and am having another shipped to me that is also shave ready from a hobbyist here. The second while shave ready is going to be for all purposes my test dummy for learning how to hone. But before I get there I want to make sure I've got the proper set up and that I have prepared correctly.
I have a set of naniwa stones here that have only been used twice. (By me I got impatient and shouldn't have) I have a 1k, 3k, 8k, and a 12k. They were taken directly out of the box and used to "hone" one razor with two attempts. I guess my two main questions would be. First do I need to lap them to make sure they are even? I figured not since they were synthetic, but I suppose as a razor can come from the factory not shave ready a hone could come not hone ready... And secondly do I need anything other than the stones I already have to give a proper honing, other than experience?

Soak them for a bit, then pencil grid and lap.. rinse repeat.. dont let the stonevslurry erase the lines, so wash frequently.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Always lap, unless it is a DMT or similar diamond hone. Use finer sandpaper if you think the stone is already flat. If it is, a few laps should remove the grid, and you are done. If the, stone is visibly not flat, start with coarser paper, and when the grid is nearly gone, start progressing the grit upwards.

Use lapping film and you never have to lap another stone.

Take a pencil and scribble a grid (think graphing paper ) on the surface of the hone being lapped and lap it with dmt or sandpaper until the pencil grid is gone... Repeat one more time and your hone is lapped properly

take a pencil and draw a few equidistant lines in each direction on the surface of the hone, so that it resembles drafting paper. It's used to ensure that the entire surface of the hone is contacting the lapping surface.

Top Bottom