What's new

Do I need another brush?

First I will address my questions...

1. I see people with many brushes in a rotation. Is this needed, preferred or is this their way of trying new things and keeping it "fresh"?

2. The one brush I have is from Sally's Beauty. Should I just buy another one of those or find a different synthetic? If you are a member of this board and responding I seriously doubt you will suggest buying another of something.

3. Do I just find a simple synthetic brush from WCS or another online "place" and be done with it as long as it has some decent reviews.

4. Yes I have been thinking synthetic as I "think" that is what mine is and I really don't know how to break in these "real hair" brushes. It appears I am creating good lather and have come up with a process in the morning that is most likely overkill but it is working, I think.

So if anyone wants to work through 1 or all of those question that is smarter then me I would appreciate it.

I have been at this for a little over 6 months now and am the owner of multiple soaps, AS, balms, 4 razors. I have narrowed down the razor I am on now and have been working it for the last 4 months or so. I am getting to liking it quite a bit.

But a brush... thats something I haven't purchased more then one of.

Thanks.

KM
1st. Do You think you need another brush?
Thats the main question because if You are happy with what You have then that is what matters.
2nd i would recommend having something as a backup though so you dont have happen to you what happened to me just the other day.. I had a knot( the brush part) fall apart on me and i didnt have a backup ! Fortunately there were several people come to my rescue so now i have a new brush and can purchase another knot to repair the broken one but i dont have to hurry. I can take my time.
3rd Some people want multiple brushes because certain types of soaps work better with certain types of brushes ( diff materials or what not ).. So in the ehd it is good to have a backup but if you sre happy with where you are then thats what matters......

Ok.

Let's say I venture down this rabbit hole of badger brushes. They are all over the place. Types and prices in particular.

Differences in like pure versus silver tip? Some of these badger brushes are pretty inexpensive. Like under 15.00. how does that compare to a 40.00 synthetic?

I buy some stuff from Sterling. They vary from 10 for a boar to 34 for a badger on their site. Any experience with Sterling brushes? If the break in is not a huge deal I would consider natural hair over synthetic.

Also, these are some great responses. Thanks guys.

KM
Just to put this out there silver tip is the top tier of brush knots.

Just to put this out there silver tip is the top tier of brush knots.
I would beg to differ. For me, silvertip and Finest 2-band badgers run toe to toe in terms of performance/feel.

Silvertip is softer while 2-band has more scrub/feel. Also, in terms of looks, I prefer the 2-band a lot more. So for me, i prefer 2-band over silvertip but I know others enjoy the softness of silvertip over the scrub of 2-band. YMMV

Was the soap/AS the one inspired by Azzaro Chrome? If so, please let us know how you like it after you use it.

@boilerphan I have now used this soap/AS 3 times. I personally like it. I already had Azzaro Chrome in my cupboard as it is a scent I like. I am not sure why but I get different shaves from different soaps for Stirling. My worst shaves from their stuff is Barbershop. Not sure why, maybe need to go look at what blades and how long I had on them.

ANYWAYS. Yes, I like the performance, it is as good as any other Stirling soap and aftershave and it makes the cologne very well.

KM

*** UPDATE ***

I have now had a couple uses with the Stirling Boar brush. It lathers differently but hard to explain. Same soap, the synthetic seems to create more lather in the bowl after loading it. The boar seems to keep more in the brush, like to the point I don't need to load it as much. Still learning that little tidbit. The feel is softer after a couple days of use and letting it dry using it every other day.

The feel is pretty good now and I can only imagine it will be getting better in a month or two it will be great. So much so I accidentally ordered more brushes. Thanks to a PM from an enabling member here he gave me some pointers and after reading a convo from him again I just went ahead and pulled the trigger on some a couple days ago. I will update those when they get here.

Thanks again everyone!

KM

@boilerphan I have now used this soap/AS 3 times. I personally like it. I already had Azzaro Chrome in my cupboard as it is a scent I like. I am not sure why but I get different shaves from different soaps for Stirling. My worst shaves from their stuff is Barbershop. Not sure why, maybe need to go look at what blades and how long I had on them.

ANYWAYS. Yes, I like the performance, it is as good as any other Stirling soap and aftershave and it makes the cologne very well.

KM

Thanks for the update!

*** UPDATE ***

I have now had a couple uses with the Stirling Boar brush. It lathers differently but hard to explain. Same soap, the synthetic seems to create more lather in the bowl after loading it. The boar seems to keep more in the brush, like to the point I don't need to load it as much. Still learning that little tidbit. The feel is softer after a couple days of use and letting it dry using it every other day.

The feel is pretty good now and I can only imagine it will be getting better in a month or two it will be great. So much so I accidentally ordered more brushes. Thanks to a PM from an enabling member here he gave me some pointers and after reading a convo from him again I just went ahead and pulled the trigger on some a couple days ago. I will update those when they get here.

Thanks again everyone!

KM
Nice! Continue using the boar and it'll get better and better. Also, what is the next brush on the way? Maybe a badger?

I purchased 5 total...

Omega Boar and some Omega synthetics.

I kinda went overboard.

If anyone asks it was an accident, my finger slipped.

:)

KM

I purchased 5 total...

proxy.php

Top Bottom