What's new

Do I need another brush?

First I will address my questions...

1. I see people with many brushes in a rotation. Is this needed, preferred or is this their way of trying new things and keeping it "fresh"?

2. The one brush I have is from Sally's Beauty. Should I just buy another one of those or find a different synthetic? If you are a member of this board and responding I seriously doubt you will suggest buying another of something.

3. Do I just find a simple synthetic brush from WCS or another online "place" and be done with it as long as it has some decent reviews.

4. Yes I have been thinking synthetic as I "think" that is what mine is and I really don't know how to break in these "real hair" brushes. It appears I am creating good lather and have come up with a process in the morning that is most likely overkill but it is working, I think.

So if anyone wants to work through 1 or all of those question that is smarter then me I would appreciate it.

I have been at this for a little over 6 months now and am the owner of multiple soaps, AS, balms, 4 razors. I have narrowed down the razor I am on now and have been working it for the last 4 months or so. I am getting to liking it quite a bit.

But a brush... thats something I haven't purchased more then one of.

Thanks.

KM

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Who made your brush? I got one from Sally, it was a Marvy. Boar, I believe. Shed's like a Golden Retriever.

These are my answers for my personal thought process. This doesn't mean I am the guru. It just shows how I think. Please take all things in consideration and find your own way.

1. I see people with many brushes in a rotation. Is this needed, preferred or is this their way of trying new things and keeping it "fresh"?
A little of preferred, trying new things, and keeping it fresh. Nothing is ever needed. My badgers are for creams, my boars for soaps, my horse is for fun, and my synthetics are for travel.

2. The one brush I have is from Sally's Beauty. Should I just buy another one of those or find a different synthetic? If you are a member of this board and responding I seriously doubt you will suggest buying another of something.
I try to buy a quality product that will more than likely last a life time. Cheap products may seem appealing, but will they last? Try looking at products made by reputable companies. The Omega 10049 is a great product that is not costly at all for boar. A good badger will more than likely cost. A good synthetic is reasonably priced.

3. Do I just find a simple synthetic brush from WCS or another online "place" and be done with it as long as it has some decent reviews.
You could, but you may always wonder what if. Find your zen.

4. Yes I have been thinking synthetic as I "think" that is what mine is and I really don't know how to break in these "real hair" brushes. It appears I am creating good lather and have come up with a process in the morning that is most likely overkill but it is working, I think.
Breaking in a new natural hair brush isn't hard. There are plenty of great tips on this forum that can help you out. Do not be afraid.

So if anyone wants to work through 1 or all of those question that is smarter then me I would appreciate it.
What you are looking for is wisdom. Smarts has nothing to do with it. Do not sell yourself short.

I hope this helps.

In my limited experience in this I believe it is performing well. I can't say I have seen a ton of shedding.

Before I get in the shower I set in a small cup of hot water. Once out of the shower I put a shot of soap in the lather bowl. Grab the brush, give it one shake and start lathering. I notice I a few drops of water 3 times or so.

I feel like I get good protection when I don't hurry and when I don't go over 3 shaves on a blade.

I knew there would be a "of course you need another" comment and would be disappointed if there weren't a few more mixed in.

KM

I used Yaqi synthetics for quite a while. They all performed similarly - soft face feel, excellent lather, no need to soak, quick drying, no animal products. What's not to like. I was pretty secure in this point of view and couldn't understand anyone having more than three or four brushes. That was until........

......That was until my first boar brush. I was blown away, loved the face feel, got really nerdy about breaking the things in, just became totally absorbed in boar brushes. I ended up with 10 of them within weeks, part PIFs and part bought.

This leaves badger. When I discovered boars I thought "who needs badgers...". Then I bought a Yaqi Violet handle 2-band fan. It's a great brush. Where I go from here I don't know but I'm creeping up to 20 brushes. I never saw this day coming.

Ok.

Let's say I venture down this rabbit hole of badger brushes. They are all over the place. Types and prices in particular.

Differences in like pure versus silver tip? Some of these badger brushes are pretty inexpensive. Like under 15.00. how does that compare to a 40.00 synthetic?

I buy some stuff from Sterling. They vary from 10 for a boar to 34 for a badger on their site. Any experience with Sterling brushes? If the break in is not a huge deal I would consider natural hair over synthetic.

Also, these are some great responses. Thanks guys.

KM

My take on the questions.

1. I see people with many brushes in a rotation. Is this needed, preferred or is this their way of trying new things and keeping it "fresh"? - It is not needed but it is preferred as it keeps each shave fresh and interesting. It's like any hobby you get into. Variety brings a bit of spice into your life.

2. The one brush I have is from Sally's Beauty. Should I just buy another one of those or find a different synthetic? If you are a member of this board and responding I seriously doubt you will suggest buying another of something. - I would suggest you to buy a different synthetic or a natural bristle. I'd suggest you look at boar brushes as they are cheap but excellent in performance. A bit rougher in the start but they break into a soft and lovely brush. Some examples are Stirling boar brush, Semogue 1250, and Omega 10066.

3. Do I just find a simple synthetic brush from WCS or another online "place" and be done with it as long as it has some decent reviews. - WCS is decent but there are other good store as well like Maggard's, Stirlings, Yaqi, and etcs. I would say Stirling has some great brush choices that you cannot go wrong with.

4. Yes I have been thinking synthetic as I "think" that is what mine is and I really don't know how to break in these "real hair" brushes. It appears I am creating good lather and have come up with a process in the morning that is most likely overkill but it is working, I think. - You don't know until you get one of these brushes. Synthetics are nice but they feel different than a real hair brush. I love my boars the most because they are a good balance between performance and feel. It's your choice. Stick to synthetics if you like your current setup but if you want the extra adventure, try a boar or even a badger. A word for badger, it tends to be more on the expensive side so I'd say stick to Stirling badger brushes if you want to give it a try.

If you didn't know already, I love Stirling products. I'd say try their soap if you're gonna get a brush from them. They have small samples, to balms, to aftershave. Literally, Stirling provides everything that you need for wet shaving.

I rarely get as excited about a brush as I might over a razor.
After all it exists mainly to get some lather on your face and has
no other bearing on the quality of the shave.

Even my Wiborg white badger, while very good, didn't exactly have
me that enamoured. In fact, once I learned how rare and sought after it was,
I started hesitating to use it thinking I might somehow damage it. I believe I
did the right thing by selling it and realising its market value.

Nowadays I have two badger brushes from Thater...that are absolutely
delightful. I alternate with them and they are plenty. Planning to add a synthetic
one from Wolf Whiskers but a bit confused as to what knot to go with.
Some say Muhle STF is the way to go, but they are up to 6 times the price
of other synthetic knots.

Having said that there's a new craze these days about dense, hand tied knots
and a few artisans doing some good work....while charging hefty prices. Ive tried
Declaration 28mm and haven't figured out what the big deal is...plus the handles look
kinda same-same to me. The Black Eagle is a brush that is rarer than any form of wildlife
currently and I'd love to get one but so do a few hundred men. Very impressed with the looks
and sales pitch of The Varlet....at some point I hope to check out both a black eagle
and a varlet....that will bump my brush count up to five and I see absolutely no need
for me to go over that.

I’m definitely not smarter than you or anyone else for that matter. But you should try some of the different hair types. Boar is awesome and makes loading the harder soaps much easier. A good Silvertip badger can end up being your softest brush. I haven’t tried horse so can’t provide guidance there. Explore what’s out there and available. That’s half the fun of this hobby. And watch how quickly it turns into insanity.

Ok.

Let's say I venture down this rabbit hole of badger brushes. They are all over the place. Types and prices in particular.

Differences in like pure versus silver tip? Some of these badger brushes are pretty inexpensive. Like under 15.00. how does that compare to a 40.00 synthetic?

I buy some stuff from Sterling. They vary from 10 for a boar to 34 for a badger on their site. Any experience with Sterling brushes? If the break in is not a huge deal I would consider natural hair over synthetic.

Also, these are some great responses. Thanks guys.

KM
I have small collection of brushes, mostly synthetic. I have 2 Stirling brushes and very happy with the synthetic one. I also have a badger which was noticeable improvement over Semogue I bought from Amazon. I have 2 Yaqi brushes and very happy with the synthetic Timberwolf knot. If you are in USA I would recommend you buy some from WCS. I also have an expensive brush with beautiful custom handle and Manchurian badger knot. This brush killed my BAD and I will be selling a few brushes i don't completely enjoy. I never tried boar brushes so can't comment on them.

In my limited experience in this I believe it is performing well. I can't say I have seen a ton of shedding.

Before I get in the shower I set in a small cup of hot water. Once out of the shower I put a shot of soap in the lather bowl. Grab the brush, give it one shake and start lathering. I notice I a few drops of water 3 times or so.

I feel like I get good protection when I don't hurry and when I don't go over 3 shaves on a blade.

I knew there would be a "of course you need another" comment and would be disappointed if there weren't a few more mixed in.

KM

What's a shot of soap? Did you mean cream?

I rarely get as excited about a brush as I might over a razor.
After all it exists mainly to get some lather on your face and has
no other bearing on the quality of the shave.

Even my Wiborg white badger, while very good, didn't exactly have
me that enamoured. In fact, once I learned how rare and sought after it was,
I started hesitating to use it thinking I might somehow damage it. I believe I
did the right thing by selling it and realising its market value.

Nowadays I have two badger brushes from Thater...that are absolutely
delightful. I alternate with them and they are plenty. Planning to add a synthetic
one from Wolf Whiskers but a bit confused as to what knot to go with.
Some say Muhle STF is the way to go, but they are up to 6 times the price
of other synthetic knots.

Having said that there's a new craze these days about dense, hand tied knots
and a few artisans doing some good work....while charging hefty prices. Ive tried
Declaration 28mm and haven't figured out what the big deal is...plus the handles look
kinda same-same to me. The Black Eagle is a brush that is rarer than any form of wildlife
currently and I'd love to get one but so do a few hundred men. Very impressed with the looks
and sales pitch of The Varlet....at some point I hope to check out both a black eagle
and a varlet....that will bump my brush count up to five and I see absolutely no need
for me to go over that.
You don't have to spend a lot for a good synthetic knot from custom brushes makers. I have a CravingShaving brush with Duro knot which is very soft and plenty of backbone. I also have TurnNShave Quatermoon knot on Maggard handle which is also very soft but have way less backbone. Both knots are just over $10

What's a shot of soap? Did you mean cream?

I mean I take a chunk of soap from my Sterling sample and push it into the bottom of my bowl. Then lather.

If you didn't know already, I love Stirling products. I'd say try their soap if you're gonna get a brush from them. They have small samples, to balms, to aftershave. Literally, Stirling provides everything that you need for wet shaving.

I have found Stirling to be my soap/AS/cologne spot. Right now I think I have 8 soap/AS and 6 colognes from them. I actually had my 2nd shipment from them yesterday. Now I wish I would have popped on a brush. In reality I may wait on the brush until I dwindle down the supplies a little bit.

I used Yaqi synthetics for quite a while. They all performed similarly - soft face feel, excellent lather, no need to soak, quick drying, no animal products. What's not to like. I was pretty secure in this point of view and couldn't understand anyone having more than three or four brushes. That was until........

......That was until my first boar brush. I was blown away, loved the face feel, got really nerdy about breaking the things in, just became totally absorbed in boar brushes. I ended up with 10 of them within weeks, part PIFs and part bought.

This leaves badger. When I discovered boars I thought "who needs badgers...". Then I bought a Yaqi Violet handle 2-band fan. It's a great brush. Where I go from here I don't know but I'm creeping up to 20 brushes. I never saw this day coming.

I can see this same fate for me. I actually for see this happening to a point. The better half has said already I am in to deep for just taking whiskers off my face. I am putting another shelf in a cabinet in the bathroom for more "stuff"

@BigD & @Timeclo and everyone else that responded. Thank you.

The next purchase I will make in regards to shaving will be a brush as I am not in need of soap, aftershave, razors or blades for a while. There will be a bit of time to research but I am guessing I will try a Stirling boar brush. Then talk myself out of this black synthetic brush on WCS. Then just go full blown out of control to try catch up to you guys.

:)

KM

I mean I take a chunk of soap from my Sterling sample and push it into the bottom of my bowl. Then lather.

I have found Stirling to be my soap/AS/cologne spot. Right now I think I have 8 soap/AS and 6 colognes from them. I actually had my 2nd shipment from them yesterday. Now I wish I would have popped on a brush. In reality I may wait on the brush until I dwindle down the supplies a little bit.

I can see this same fate for me. I actually for see this happening to a point. The better half has said already I am in to deep for just taking whiskers off my face. I am putting another shelf in a cabinet in the bathroom for more "stuff"

The next purchase I will make in regards to shaving will be a brush as I am not in need of soap, aftershave, razors or blades for a while. There will be a bit of time to research but I am guessing I will try a Stirling boar brush. Then talk myself out of this black synthetic brush on WCS. Then just go full blown out of control to try catch up to you guys.

KM

KM
There's plenty of brushes for you to try so you can find out which one you prefer

Neat. For bowl lathering soft artisan soaps I recommend the Simpson Polo 8 in Best or Super Badger, the Zenith 507 Manchurian, as well as the Omega 10098 Boar brush.

I’m definitely not smarter than you or anyone else for that matter. But you should try some of the different hair types. Boar is awesome and makes loading the harder soaps much easier. A good Silvertip badger can end up being your softest brush. I haven’t tried horse so can’t provide guidance there. Explore what’s out there and available. That’s half the fun of this hobby. And watch how quickly it turns into insanity.
+1.
Try something different. Natural hairs brushes will break in with use, nothing special has to be done. Just give them time before you judge whether you like them or not.

KM
Nice! Stirling boar is my favorite boar of all times but that is after it's been broken in. I'm warning you, the first shaves can be rough but be patient and keep using it. It'll turn out to be a fine brush. As for the black synthetic brush on WCS, it'll probably be a good one. Most synthetics these days share similar characteristics and tend to be a good performer.

+1.
Try something different. Natural hairs brushes will break in with use, nothing special has to be done. Just give them time before you judge whether you like them or not.

Exactly. The only thing I have done with any of my natural hair brushes is to wash them in Dawn dishwashing liquid and hot water. Then I just use them. Any funk is usually gone by the time I've used it for 3 shaves. I think boars are the only ones that need to be broken in because the tips split. Badgers and synths don't need to be broken in. And of course, using them to break them is all the fun.

Top Bottom