What's new

Do I need another brush?

Of course you ‘need’ another brush!! Exploring various options is TONS of fun!! :a29:

(Consider yourself enabled.)

I mean I take a chunk of soap from my Sterling sample and push it into the bottom of my bowl. Then lather.

I have found Stirling to be my soap/AS/cologne spot. Right now I think I have 8 soap/AS and 6 colognes from them. I actually had my 2nd shipment from them yesterday. Now I wish I would have popped on a brush. In reality I may wait on the brush until I dwindle down the supplies a little bit.

I can see this same fate for me. I actually for see this happening to a point. The better half has said already I am in to deep for just taking whiskers off my face. I am putting another shelf in a cabinet in the bathroom for more "stuff"

@BigD & @Timeclo and everyone else that responded. Thank you.

The next purchase I will make in regards to shaving will be a brush as I am not in need of soap, aftershave, razors or blades for a while. There will be a bit of time to research but I am guessing I will try a Stirling boar brush. Then talk myself out of this black synthetic brush on WCS. Then just go full blown out of control to try catch up to you guys.

:)

KM
Get the Stirling Tuxedo. The black synthetic with the white tips.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

If you are asking, "Do I need another brush?," I suggest at least three more.

If you state, "I really don't need another brush", then buy just two!

Alternatively, "I absolutely don't need another brush" is just code to buy one.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I think @BigJ will back me up on this, but when it comes to shaving gear, "just one more" is ALWAYS an accurate statement.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Enablers... Your all enablers.

Yea, that's why I filled the space that used to hold medicine, bandages, etc with so many brushes I almost considered the old brush stands for the windowsill .. but still made an offer on one just today. I've given them to me sons, fraternity brothers, put one particularly bad example to use to dust the workbench .. and have tried to sell some off.

1. I see people with many brushes in a rotation. Is this needed, preferred or is this their way of trying new things and keeping it "fresh"?
Of course it's not needed.

But wait ... I need a synthetic for travel because it dries quickly.

And ... this handle is gorgeous - I need that one too.

And ... a lot of people like boar brushes. I should get one to see what the fuss is about, and besides, they're not expensive.

Ooh, maybe a stubby handle is easier to hold.

And so it goes.

Right now, my favourite brush is a 24 mm "SynBad" (synthetic badger) in a "Blue Lagoon" handle, from APShaveCo.

That didn't stop me from ordering a Stirling with (another) Tuxedo knot a few nights ago, because I really like how the handle looks.
proxy.php

I can be superficial that way. ;)

4. Yes I have been thinking synthetic as I "think" that is what mine is and I really don't know how to break in these "real hair" brushes.
- If it's the black-handle Barburys brush, it's probably a synthetic.
- Don't worry about breaking a natural brush in. It will break itself in with regular use, so there's no missed opportunity or anything.
How to identify a synthetic bristle brush:
Well, the color of some is a dead giveaway, like the "Tuxedo" knots, so named because they're black and white.
In addition, all of the synthetic knots I've seen up close have two features unique to synthetics.
Click on this until it zooms in to full size (2257x2257 pixels)...
proxy.php

1. All along the length of the individual hairs there's a manufactured permanent waviness, which is fairly regular and even. I think that this is intended to create a bit of very narrow air space between otherwise tightly packed hairs, which water can soak into by capillary action. If, by comparison, you inspect the synthetic hairs on a "kabuki" makeup brush, they are straighter, because they are meant to be used with dry powder.
  2. The very tips of each hair, like the last millimeter or so, is tapered and typically has a bit of a bend to it. The bend encourages it to slip sideways on you skin or curl up a bit, making it feel softer, or at least less "scritchy" than perfectly straight tips. These tips do not split like broken-in badger or boar.
Oh. Speaking of wavy black and white hair - now I want a brush that looks like Elsa Lanchester's head in "Bride of Frankenstein":
proxy.php

I don't need one, but I'd totally buy one like that, just to display it on the shelf. :o16:

I'd have to wait until the end of September though. - September 2019 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

This post alone confirms to me that I have found the place for me.

For multiple reasons too.

I am gonna end up with 5 brushes before Christmas.

Thanks guys.

KM

Synthetic brushes do not absorb water into the fibers. Thus, they dry fairly quickly. There is little disadvantage of using a synthetic brush as your only brush as long as that brush works well with all of your soaps.

If you are using a natural fiber brush, using a minimum of two brushes in rotation will insure that your brush dries completely between uses. However, I am sure many men got by with a single brush. However, the brush might not last as long.

Of course if you like using a variety of soaps and creams from very soft soaps to very hard pucks, you might want multiple brushes to optimize your lathering. I find that some soaps work better with certain brushes.

Synthetic brushes do not absorb water into the fibers. Thus, they dry fairly quickly. There is little disadvantage of using a synthetic brush as your only brush as long as that brush works well with all of your soaps.

If you are using a natural fiber brush, using a minimum of two brushes in rotation will insure that your brush dries completely between uses. However, I am sure many men got by with a single brush. However, the brush might not last as long.

Of course if you like using a variety of soaps and creams from very soft soaps to very hard pucks, you might want multiple brushes to optimize your lathering. I find that some soaps work better with certain brushes.

+1 I totally agree with this.

Synthetic brushes do not absorb water into the fibers. Thus, they dry fairly quickly.

I do not have a synthetic brush as yet, and decided to take the plunge since I have a Wolf Whiskers spot.
It will be stuffed with a Mühle STF XL 25mm knot. The original brushes put out by Mühle have a really tall
and floppy 62mm loft, so I'm going for something in the 54-55mm range. I have high hopes for this brush...
let's see.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it impossible to buy just one boar brush?

Isn't it a bottomless pit with Edgar Allen Poe smiling behind a curtain......

Top Bottom