What's new

Do I need a more aggressive razor

I'd say technique is more important, and that includes: good prep, a nice slick lather, using proper blade angle, no pressure on the razor, beard properly hydrated, etc ...

But if you want to try something more efficient, I agree that the NEW is an excellent choice. It's not aggressive, actually it feels quite mild, but it is very efficient.

+1.

Have you tried some of the advanced techniques such as blade buffing, J-hooking, and the Gillette slide? Mantic59 has a YouTube video on them that you may want to check out. They really helped with the trouble spots along my jaw line and the hollows of my throat.

Skin stretching might also help. It's not so much really pulling your skin to stretch it so much as to move the skin on a curvy part of your face to where the underlying structure is a bit flatter.

I would really dig into technique before getting a more agressive razor. If you have issues with your technique a more agressive razor will just draw blood faster...

I'd still buy the more agressive razor(s), I'd just try the technique stuff first.

I'll add another vote for technique. That razor will get you a close shave with no irritation if you use it right. Try some sharper blades. They will remove more whiskers faster. Make sure you're not using pressure, and watch that angle. You'll get there.

But yes, you should get more razors too. :)

I also have a coarse beard made from steel.

I think it's a great idea to explore your options, but before jumping onto a new razor, the only thing I would recommend is doing some extra prep before the shave.

While in the shower I sometimes use hair conditioner to soften my beard a bit. You could also use some Pre Shave Oil or some Coconut Oil will work just fine and just apply your lather on top.

I also don't like the Feather blades as it causes me irritation. I found the Red Persona blades to be sharp and give me excellent shaves every time.

Hope this helps.

Hi Shupey,

It sounds like you have a tungsten beard, as do I.

I have been working on this problem for some years now, through 40 DEs and a dozen different blade brands, 6 SEs and, since I went over to the dark side, 20 straight razors.

Preparation is very important. Hot shower before, hot flannel on the face before every pass, and making sure your brush technique is massaging a slick lather right into the beard.

Before I left DEs I had drawn the conclusion that blade sharpness is a key factor for tungsten beards. Derbys and Astras are fine for softer beards but I found 7 O'clock Yellow, Polsilver and Gillette Silver Blues were good, and also Personna Red and Blue Lab, but none of them get close to a Feather. As for razors, a Tech will give a great shave with a Feather, with enough passes, but is more suited to softer beards. I would agree with Garrett's suggestion of a R41 head only and use it with DE89 handle.

After some time exclusively on straights I have firmed in my conviction that a sharp blade is for efficiency and closeness, and technique is for the comfort aspect. My technique with straights has improved to where I now agree with the old statement that "nothing shaves as close as a straight" but with the proviso that it is a sharp straight. A blade that is not super sharp will not give a satisfactory shave on a tungsten beard, no matter how good a technique is employed.

My suggestion would be an R41 head with a Feather blade, more attention to preparation and perserverence with working on technique. Nothing worth having is easy, so hang in there, and some day I may see you over on the dark side.

Cheers, George

I tried the Feather blades a couple months ago and found they really irritated my face after one pass. I find the Silver Blues to be almost as sharp but very forgiving. My technique has improved a bit since then so maybe I should give the feathers another chance. I'll have a look at the razoRock and New. Thanks guys!

Yeah,, Feathers do that to me too,, i don't feel they are either as sharp or as smooth as the GSB's.. my opinion. I also think the DE89 is more than enough equipment for you to get the job done. I've got at least 8 other types i enjoy but the DE can do it, no doubt. No one has mentioned understanding the growth direction patterns of your beard and how to work them during the shave so i'll toss it in, but you've gotten great advice here.

All excellent suggestions. Thanks much! I'm in Canada-anyone know where i can get a RazoRock/Cadet Jaws? Can't seem to find them online. Where do you buy your vintage Gillettes? I see a few on eBay but are there any reputable dealers outside eBay? I do have access to the other razors suggested.

RazorsDirect has recently added some Cadet razors to it's line under the name Shave Classic. It appears that they have some other razors under that name, so I would recommend shooting them an email beforehand.

Top Bottom