What's new

Do I need a Fat Boy?

I have read many of you don’t particularly love them, but to round out my TTO razors do I want one? I think I do.

Who has a really nice one they’re tired of 😂

What is the allure of these that they are so sought after by the hipsters?

It’s a fine razor. I love mine, but I do have a mustache and most plausible dislikes are based on its large head and difficulty shaving under the nose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Not sure about the hipsters, but some of us older coots recall using one for their first shave .. still a classic and used here often (my travel razor is one)

This is exactly why some of us disparage Fatboy fetishism.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
So the fact that it is held up as an icon is the reason more experienced collectors disparage them?

I have a nice Slim now and have read here that most think it was a better razor.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Yes and no. I have several but when I use them I leave them on the same setting. If you really want one have a look at eBay or put a WTB in the BST. There are lots and lots of them out there.

So the fact that it is held up as an icon is the reason more experienced collectors disparage them?

I have a nice Slim now and have read here that most think it was a better razor.
No.

First nobody needs to own one to be a respectable collector. Many of us collect razors that aren't Fatboys. I have 200 or so which meet that criteria.

Second, I personally don't appreciate encouraging folks to acquire razors they are not going to shave with. I understand there are others who collect for the sake of collecting but I'm not one of those people.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes and no. I have several but when I use them I leave them on the same setting. If you really want one have a look at eBay or put a WTB in the BST. There are lots and lots of them out there.
True but be careful ... they may look great but the TTO or the adjustment dial may not work correctly... buy from a dealer you can trust. I have seen some in antique shops that have been polished up and look great but are not truly operational.

I have a Tech, a Super Speed Red Tip and a Slim. I use them all and they are all in my current razor rotation. The Red Tip and the Slim are my favorites of the three. Do I need a Fat Boy? No... but want one and will have one one day.... :)

Well I have several excellent Super Speeds and Techs including a beautiful Red Tip. The Slim I just purchased here and is also excellent. I would use a FB but probably not as a daily.

Right now my Red Tip is my favorite but I use the Techs more often.

I have read many of you don’t particularly love them, but to round out my TTO razors do I want one? I think I do.

Who has a really nice one they’re tired of 😂

What is the allure of these that they are so sought after by the hipsters?

There has been a somewhat strange fascination about dumping on the 195 the last few years. Some people actually go out of there way to do so.

Anyways, you don’t need one unless they interest you. You only really need one razor. With good technique, all razors will give you a BBS, including that Dollar Store Assured razor. Some require more passes and some yet are smoother but all razors get you there.

I always use the car analogy with the 195. I think owning a 57 Ford TBird Is much cooler than owning a new Ford Fusion. The TBird obviously isn’t better but it is much more awesome getting to your destination.

My experience with the 195 is that it is a very smooth 3 pass BBS shaver. It is tough and built solid. As for the best adjustable and my favorite all time razor, that would be the Super 84 (Short handle brass baseplate Super Adjustable).

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Mine I bought at an antique store, an E4 if I recall correctly.

I'm glad I scratched the itch, but it stays on one setting for me, 5. Lol, I'm so boring!

I like the extra weight and girth of the handle compared to the slim or super Adjustable. The head is a tad taller but not enough for me to notice while shaving. For me, the shave quality is identical between the gillette adjustables. The biggest difference being weight and balance. Which one is best depends on the individual using it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I like the extra weight and girth of the handle compared to the slim or super Adjustable. The head is a tad taller but not enough for me to notice while shaving. For me, the shave quality is identical between the gillette adjustables. The biggest difference being weight and balance. Which one is best depends on the individual using it.
Thank you! I've never tried a Slim, and now I don't need to!

But I'll probably end up trying to get one past my lovely War Department eventually....

As for the best adjustable and my favorite all time razor, that would be the Super 84 (Short handle brass baseplate Super Adjustable).

^This. The Fatboy isn’t even the best vintage Gillette adjustable (despite being the most expensive to acquire). The SA 84 is.

i have a 1960 F4 fatboy. It's a great shaver. Except for under my big nose.
I have a 1962 H1 slim. It's a great shaver. Except for under my big nose.

I've been using the slim for 40+ years. I've been using the fatboy for 3 years since I acquired it. I like the fatboy much better than the slim. It just feels and balances better in my hand. They're both set at 7, and never change.

After my parents passed I found a NEW Type short comb buried in a toolbox. It's a great shaver. Even under my big nose.

I also found a 1977 X2 Black Handle superspeed and a 1979 Z3 Black Handle Super Adjustable in different toolboxes. I tried them and dislike them.

I bought a 1966 L1 Flare Tip Super Speed at a flea market. I tried it and dislike it.

I bought the King C. Gillette at Walgreens when I missed out on the Heritage-Inspired. It's a great shaver. But it just doesn't excite me. Then I was able to grab a Heritage -Inspired. It's a great shaver. But it's even more blasé than the KCG. I use these as travel razors.

My current rotation includes the fatboy, the slim, the NEW SC, and a RazoRock GameChanger.

So I've been rambling about my collection. Why? Cuz you don't know if you'll like a razor until you try it. I say if it interests you, go for it.

I suppose I should think about unloading some of mine that I'll never use again...

Top Bottom