What's new

Do I need a blade bank?

I think the added safety is a worthwhile and generally very small expense. I got this one in a trade from @Graydog. It looks great sitting amongst my assortment of shaving items.
$IMG_1096.jpg

$IMG_1087.jpg
I personally use a skull shaped coin bank that I can empty out once full if I so choose to.
View attachment 694236

That's awesome Dave!

I use an old prescription bottle that I have from Target...clear red....I retrofitted the lid with a flip top from a bottle of Tums, so it is a great solution - also like that it is clear to see the accumulation of blades!

-Buy a can of chicken broth for less than $1.
-Cut a slot in the top & punch a small hole in the bottom.
-Drain and rinse.

--Good to go for 10 years.

I did the soup can version. Even after a coat of Krylon it left rust stains on the shelf. Finally ordered a commercial version, it should hold many year's worth of blades, looks nice and cost $1.50

No. I keep the paper box the blades come in and put the blades in it as I use them.

I do this too, although I have been known to keep the active one inside a empty Altoids tin.

I also have this I can use:

It's shaped like a recycling can, and was a promo piggy bank from Iron Mountain. I haven't started using it yet.

There are some really nice designs of blade bank but most are not recyclable. The point of the soup can idea is that, when full, it can be dumped in the metal recycling bin with no danger of anyone cutting themselves. Also they cost nothing. Putting the blades back in the paper wrapper is, I believe, not a good idea.

I've repurposed a pharmacy pill bottle. It's diameter is large enough that the blades lie flat in the bottle.
A child proof cap keeps them safe.

Been using it over a year now, and it's maybe 1/4 full.

When it does fill up, I'll tape the cap closed and dispose safely.

"...the more people I meet,
the more I like my dog......"

I use an empty (and cleaned out) baked beans can... hammered a slit in the lid with a screw driver... voila... blade bank

initially i used the space on the bottom of the plastic blade tucks, but i did not always find that convenient. i had several brands that did not have the a wast slot because they came in cardboard boxes. it seems i always had to keep empty containers of SE, DE and injectors to hold any blade that i might be done with.

so in the end i got a piggy bank from a local credit union.
$20161009_191618.jpg

i then covered up the advertising with something more appropriate.
$20161009_191630.jpg
this will last for years, and excepts any kind of blade that i use.

It's a bad idea to throw loose blades away, although the blade is dulled, it can still give you a nasty cut when you're changing the trash bags !!
A trick I learned in hospital last year was to carefully put my used blades into an empty 500ml plastic water bottle - the neck was just wide enough

At home I use a tips tin that cost me €1 in a Chinese shop
It's got nearly 2 inches of used blades in it after 18 months, the good thing is that it can only be opened with a can opener, so when the time comes I'll seal the slot with tape and put it into the recycling bin
proxy.php

The €500 design is just wishful thinking :lol:

:thumbup:

That is the one I use... except it's a €20 design:laugh:....and it cost me €0.65...:001_rolle

I already have a couple sharps containers for lancets and injector needles so that's what I use.

proxy.php

Once filled, any pharmacy here will take it and give you a new one.

I find it comforting to know that they will be properly handled once I hand the bottle back in so no one will be cut unknowingly when handling my garbage. They recycle here very fervently and we have to home sort our waste or they don't pick it up. You are allowed one small garbage bag for "actual" garbage, but they're so crazy here they actually have people go through that too. I wouldn't be comfortable with someone "rooting" through my garbage knowing there are razor blades anywhere in there....

Last edited:
Please don't throw them in the trash. Your are correct that someone can get hurt. As others have said, you can make your own blade bank for nothing with existing stuff you have lying around. An Altoids or any metal mint tin. Even a prescription pill container can serve the purpose, which is what I am using currently. Just take a knife and put a slit in the cap and you're all done. Far safer.

There is a great way to do it. Juice can, condensed milk, tomato soup can or whatever. When you use the contents, just pour it out through a blade size slot you cut in the can lid with a tiny vent hole in the bottom. Peel off the paper and clean it out by sloshing soap and water in it a few times. Let it dry, and boom! Perfectly safe used blade holder. Toss it when it's full, or recycle the whole thing. Hell if your crafty, decorate it with leather or paint it. It holds a large number of blades.hope that helps you!

This is exactly what I did several years ago, and I still have several years of room left.

Same as a previous poster, I reuse the plastic blade containers from my Personna blade packs. You can easily fit 25-30 blades (with no wrapper of course) before they get full.

Have a blade bank, we have too many folks dumpster diving in the alley. They are less fortunate and I do not want to any make their life any more complicated with my used sharp blades.

Top Bottom