What's new

Do I need a blade bank?

Right now I throw my old de blades in the trash. I am thinking that might not be the best idea from a safety stand point. Do you guys use a blade bank for disposal? Is there a better option?

There is a great way to do it. Juice can, condensed milk, tomato soup can or whatever. When you use the contents, just pour it out through a blade size slot you cut in the can lid with a tiny vent hole in the bottom. Peel off the paper and clean it out by sloshing soap and water in it a few times. Let it dry, and boom! Perfectly safe used blade holder. Toss it when it's full, or recycle the whole thing. Hell if your crafty, decorate it with leather or paint it. It holds a large number of blades.hope that helps you!

Last edited:
I purchased a blade bank mostly so that I wouldn't be throwing sharp blades in the trash.
It was approximately $2 four-or-so years ago. And I'm still using it to this day. I find it kind of cool to see that 4+ years of wet shaving can be fit in small blade bank. Especially when I compared it to the volume of trash the equivalent in cartridges would have caused.
A more economical version is to repurpose a coffee tin, by just cutting a slit in the top cover After you use up the coffee, of course.

I just use some of those plastic containers some blades come in. But I don't use just the back...I use the front too where the new blades were they hold quite a bit of blades and are free. I have been thinking of doing the soup can trick though.

in all the examples above they're reinforcing your interest in not seeing someone (perhaps yourself) getting cut badly and being responsible for a preventable injury.

Seriously, common sense isn't all that common. Good on ya for pausing to think about it!

I use a tin of mints like Altoids or Extra mints. I like the hinged opening and not worrying about a loose blade in the garbage.

In my town they're deemed to be "Hazardous waste", so they never go in the garbage loose.
I started using a large white pill bottle on which I put red PVC tape in a barber pole spiral pattern.
I didn't cut a slot in the cap and seal it or anything.
Periodically I will dump the contents into my son's sharps container (for his insulin needles and lancets), and those get swapped out for free empty ones at the pharmacy.

If you ever have kids in the house though, you must have a child-proof or permanently sealed container.

Last edited:
I use an empty OTC medicine bottle. Holds a bunch of blades and not needing to worry about a young one opening the cap. Then again, sometimes I think a child-proof cap us also adult proof.

I use one.

Given how cheap they are, it kind of seemed like a no-brainer to me to use one. I like the one from West Coast Shaving since they look nice (better looking than an old soup can or something) and are only $1.50 each. I bought six of them since they were so cheap and I haven't even filled the first one yet after almost two years.

It's a bad idea to throw loose blades away, although the blade is dulled, it can still give you a nasty cut when you're changing the trash bags !!
A trick I learned in hospital last year was to carefully put my used blades into an empty 500ml plastic water bottle - the neck was just wide enough

At home I use a tips tin that cost me €1 in a Chinese shop
It's got nearly 2 inches of used blades in it after 18 months, the good thing is that it can only be opened with a can opener, so when the time comes I'll seal the slot with tape and put it into the recycling bin
proxy.php

The €500 design is just wishful thinking :lol:

I bought one of the little white ones that are shaped like a bread loaf when I started. I could use a soup can or other container but I really don't have tools to cut metal safely (read: without cutting my self first)... for $1.50 it was money well spent.

I would never ever put an unwrapped blade in the trash...that's just asking for a bad cut and a trip to the emergency room and a severe bawling-out from SWMBO... three very bad events in order of ascending severity. :w00t:

I can't help but find a blade bank or two every time I go into an antique market, so I guess I got no excuses. Even the Williams Talc I bought yesterday, says on the side "When empty, use as a blade bank".

Never owned a proper blade bank but, like many others have , I made my own. Had an old tin that a watch would have come in and I put a slit in the top with a dremel cutting disc. Be creative, find something you like to look at and transform it into a blade bank!

There many options for blade banks. Most can be found in your home already. Empty soup can, water bottle, spice bottle, medicine bottle, and so on
I personally use a skull shaped coin bank that I can empty out once full if I so choose to.
$tmp_9494-20151018_065618-1826679616.jpg

I use a coin collecting tin with the lid glued in place. It's smaller than most soup tins and has been in use about three years now. It's not full, but once it is I'll put the whole thing in the recycling. Cost about £2 (maybe $3 at that time).

I've ordered one from IB, it was smt like 1,50$. Now I always use the wrapping paper of the new Blade to put in the old blade. Or the plastic container from my feather blades, has on the back side a blade bank for exactly 10 blades, as in the container are. I never threw a blade just like this into the garbage, if i had nothing to put it in, i used a lot of toilet paper so no one will be injured!

I just use some of those plastic containers some blades come in. But I don't use just the back...I use the front too where the new blades were they hold quite a bit of blades and are free. I have been thinking of doing the soup can trick though.

I've been doing the same thing. There's probably 20 blades in a 5 tuck pack so far. I have a Rx medication bottle on standby when the tuck fills up.

Top Bottom