What's new

Do I need a Black Beauty?

Yes, you need a Black Beauty.
😄
Todays new listings imply they are made of solid gold!
I will be patient and wait for a good deal. I always move on when I see the black nylon on the bottom plate but from what you have all said it shouldnt scare me away. I am in no rush, though.

I am an exclusively Tech owner as it shaves my perfectly every time. I really have no reason to stray as they are as trouble free as a spoon is as a utensil and the quality is top notch nickel coated brass, tough to beat.

At first I ooked into Tech for my birth year razor (early 70's) but found out Techs had gone to pot by that point in time so I was never inclined to get one of that era. I have to admit, the BB looks very pleasing to my eye, probably the nicest one year wise.

Just for curiosity's sake, does anyone know how it would shave in comparison to a post war Tech? What dial number might the closest comparison?

Thanks all. As i said none of us “need” another razor, lol. But since the BB is an adjustable, minor gap differences dont bother me since I am a mild razor guy. I doubt I will go above 3 on my fatboy, that is, at least the way my fatboy shaves after fixing the guard bars.
I really dont have a preference among long and short handle razors, since both work for me. But a 109 would at least give me variety as opposed to the 84.
I know, I will probably get one eventually. I thought we werent allowed to talk prices, but people seem to be doing so. So my reason for not getting a BB so far is that the prices havent been right. I cant see paying more than I paid for my slim just a few weeks ago. I think I got a fair price for my fatboy last week, certainly more money than the slim, though. Strange that the BB goes for more than the slim right now considering the BB was in production much longer.
Literally every day it seems there are at least 5 new listings each for the fatboy, slim, and BB.
I like to dial up with adjustables, plus I think they are cool. I must admit in general the TTO is kind of a gimmick. A few seconds saved every blade change?
So I need a Schick Krona? I havent researched them as I focused on injectors for Schick, with an e, g, several i and j variants, an l, and an m. The dummies thread was helpful for that.

For whatever this is worth, I managed to find one recently at a very reasonable price on the bay. Placed a low-ball bid, and somehow nobody challenged it. Maybe I got lucky. I think there's a fair amount that slips through the cracks on that site though.

Skip the BB. They abound. Search out the J.A. Cobb. 😉 With a Feather, its absolutely wonderful. I don't generally like "mild" razors, but mine is a keeper. The length is about the same and the handle is hollow, so it is not nearly as heavy as you'd expect.

The BB is nice, but unless it just really suits your personal taste, I wouldn't worry much about it. I've had 3, never kept one.

I am an exclusively Tech owner as it shaves my perfectly every time. I really have no reason to stray as they are as trouble free as a spoon is as a utensil and the quality is top notch nickel coated brass, tough to beat.

At first I ooked into Tech for my birth year razor (early 70's) but found out Techs had gone to pot by that point in time so I was never inclined to get one of that era. I have to admit, the BB looks very pleasing to my eye, probably the nicest one year wise.

Just for curiosity's sake, does anyone know how it would shave in comparison to a post war Tech? What dial number might the closest comparison?
I always look here, though gap isnt the only factor.

Skip the BB. They abound. Search out the J.A. Cobb. 😉 With a Feather, its absolutely wonderful. I don't generally like "mild" razors, but mine is a keeper. The length is about the same and the handle is hollow, so it is not nearly as heavy as you'd expect.

The BB is nice, but unless it just really suits your personal taste, I wouldn't worry much about it. I've had 3, never kept one.
Interesting. I bet they cost a pretty penny. Not adjustable though. How does it compare to a flair tip SS? Red, neutral, or blue tip? I like mild razors too. I am happy with CCS and I dont think I have ever gotten a DFS or BBS.
The whiskers will be back the next day. 😎

Interesting. I bet they cost a pretty penny. Not adjustable though. How does it compare to a flair tip SS? Red, neutral, or blue tip? I like mild razors too. I am happy with CCS and I dont think I have ever gotten a DFS or BBS.
The whiskers will be back the next day. 😎
If you like the longer handles, this one is about 4.25" and slightly thicker than the BB. I believe I paid ~$85 for mine on bay.uk about 2 years ago. I honestly didn't remember the feel, so I pulled it out tonight. I ran it with a thrice used Voskhod, which is my base blade of late.

Blade feel was much like my Brit #15, which I equate to a FB on around 8. Its been 10+ years since I had a flare-tip of any sort. DFS shave, with just a bit of stubble under the chin which is normal for Voskhod and mild-mid razors for me. BBS would be expected with Feather or Kai SS.

No one really NEEDS one if they have a Slim. That being said, I have three. I have an 84, an early production metal 109 and a late production plastic 109. So if you WANT one I say go ahead, at the very least you will not be disappointed. All three are fantastic shavers.

You'll never know until you try. If you don't like it, PIF or sit on it for St. Sue. That's what I'm doing with a bunch of razors.

Shave isn't going to be that much different than Slim. They are just nice 84 nd the tall sister. I do prefer the 84; thing is: if you get one, you will want both......and then there is a gold plated head of the long one.....now this one is pricier.

Shave isn't going to be that much different than Slim. They are just nice 84 nd the tall sister. I do prefer the 84; thing is: if you get one, you will want both......and then there is a gold plated head of the long one.....now this one is pricier.
I dare anyone in a blind shave test who has more than just 10 razors to be able to tell the difference in shaves between 2 or more similar ones.
😄
I dont find that handle length matters to me. I probably wont feel complete unless I have an 84 and a 109! I would like one in great condition though.

5 Super Adjustables and 3 Slims here. The head is not the same. The blade angle is somewhat slightly different on the Slim and the Super Adjustable when you compare same settings. That results in a different shave. For me the Slim is the best shaver out of the three. But yes, you need a Super Adjustable.

5 Super Adjustables and 3 Slims here. The head is not the same. The blade angle is somewhat slightly different on the Slim and the Super Adjustable when you compare same settings. That results in a different shave. For me the Slim is the best shaver out of the three. But yes, you need a Super Adjustable.
Ok. 😄
I wont pay 3 bills for a user grade one though. I guess the big auction site doesnt charge listing fees based on price anymore. I havent sold on there in years.
Dont people do their research? This was in production for over 20 years, right? Looking to get over 10x the going rate is inscrutable.

It is up to you to decide how much you are willing to pay.
To answer your question: Yes Super Adjustables were manufactured for 20 years. From 1968 to 1988. But...
The last 9 or so years production was pretty scarce. In 1980 they changed the knurling on the handle to the so called diamond pattern. And those post-1980 Super Adjustables are not that common compared to the previous handle. Many US users here on the forum say they don't remember Adjustables in their local US stores even in the last 1-2 years of the 70s, so my guess is they made them in the in small quantities in the 80s mostly for the European market. Cartridge razors changed the game completely.

Last edited:
Everyone needs to have had a Black Beauty in their life at some time. I had mine from 1968 to somewhere in the mid 70’s when I succumbed to the force of the dark side and started using a Track II. Last year I was rescued and came back to DE Shaving. My Black Beauty has long since disappeared, but I had the pleasure of its use for at least a short time.

I have a bunch of Fatboys and Slims, plus a few each long and short handle BBs. I use the FBs and Slims more often, but every time I shave with a Black Beauty I wonder why I don't use them more often. They can still be had for a reasonable price if you are patient. I don't think I've paid more than $20 for any of the ones I own. They are very similar to a Slim, but are definitely worth having.

Top Bottom