What's new

Do I just suck at stropping?

How happy am I not using leather straps but palm strops.
This is all too complicated for me.
It is also nice as a travel strop:)
Do you care to explain why you are only palm stropping. I usually do it during honing and before i go to the hanging strop.
Maybe i should just try it for my self to see how it works.

I actually think that some of the general advice to avoid any deflection in the strop contributes to this. Once I figured out that deflection is fine, as long as it's around the spine, not the edge, I started getting a lot better results stropping.
That was what i was trying to say. You managed to explain it much better:) This have been my experience as well.

I received a lesson from an elder who proved to me that it was possible to obtain a magnificent shave off the stone, without a leather strap.
But how is this possible? I keep reading on the forums that you need a great leather strap, a lot of stropping practice and a lot of leatherwork to have a soft and efficient blade.
He simply replied: Strap stropping is used to mask problems. the more you use it the more it means you need to hide a problem. Perfect your work on the stone and you will no longer need a strap. By the evidence provided, this is the path I have chosen to follow. I voluntarily dropped the strap and used the palm stropping (which he used) to serve as a checkpoint.

It's okay to use strap, paste, ... it's just another way to get the shave that gives you pleasure. That 's the goal.
Just a different path choice.

Reactions: JPO
I mean stropping without a leather strap but on the hand. Between light 5 and 10 round trip.
Pressure management is much easier with palm strop. you feel it very well in your hand.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Under-stropping is more prevalent, either not enough laps or being too scared to use even slight pressure and not getting the blade on the hide well enough.

Geez... here we go again. 6 years into this, and I look at one of Gamma's posts and try what he suggests and I get yet another bump up in sharpness. I thought I had It down. I'm not as clever as I think I am sometimes....

Geez... here we go again. 6 years into this, and I look at one of Gamma's posts and try what he suggests and I get yet another bump up in sharpness. I thought I had It down. I'm not as clever as I think I am sometimes....
Getting good contacts on the strop is important. I have found this difficult on some strops. I have a Kanayama strop that is collecting dust next to my cheap Dovo strop. Most of the time I use full hollow and extra hollow ground blades. These are for me much easier to strop on a slower and narrower strop. I will reach for my Kanayama for heavier blades.
If the blade is just skating on top it is a waste of time in my opinion. On light blades, used on thick leader, I am not able to apply enough pressure on the spine to get the leather to align with the spine and the edge and still have control.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Good info JPO. You would think I would have it all figured by now. I'm slow on the uptake...

Good info JPO. You would think I would have it all figured by now. I'm slow on the uptake...
That's what I like about this side of the hobby though. The learning is continual and it keeps getting better :)

I think my biggest stropping "eureka" moment was when I started stropping with the strop horizontal at waist level, versus having it hanging a lot higher. I wonder if anyone else made that change and thought it was beneficial.

My first personal eureka with the strops was to see the difference in effect on the edge between a stiff leather strop (paddle) and a soft one. Pressure and speed are just the levers to increase the energy involved in the action of the strop.
The second eureka was palm stropping.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I think my biggest stropping "eureka" moment was when I started stropping with the strop horizontal at waist level, versus having it hanging a lot higher. I wonder if anyone else made that change and thought it was beneficial.
I was the same but in the opposite direction. Having always had my strop horizontal at waist level, I was once stuck in a hotel where that wasn't possible. It was then that I appreciated waist level stropping.

Top Bottom