What's new

Do I have to grate my Penhaligon's English Fern (Tallow version)

I've recently acquired a puck of the old formula English Fern.

What I want to do is split some off for a mate and then put the rest into a wooden bowl I have.

Can somebody who has some suggest the best method? I know I can grate and press it in but that seems very harsh on such a lovely soap and I'm afraid of wastage too.

Thanks

I'd slice off a piece from the bottom of the puck. This way you won't notice when it's in your bowl.

Please do let us know what you think of the soap. I've been wanting to try this one so your thoughts would be helpful. Especially if you could compare it to MdC Fougere.

Last edited:
You can also toss it into a food processor or a blender. I have a Ninja, which I have used to grate Parmesan. It worked decently well for grating soap, and was much easier on my hands and arms than a regular grater.

I'd slice off a piece from the bottom of the puck. This way you won't notice when it's in your bowl.

exactly. the soap is soft enough that you can carve it carefully with a sharp knife or a small plane. use circular motion as if peeling an orange, then the soap 'peels' can easily be mashed into a shallow jar of some sort. you will certainly enjoy it and it's nice that you're sharing with another as well.

Please do let us know what you think of the soap. I've been wanting to try this one so your thoughts would be helpful. Especially if you could compare it to MdC Fougere.

exactly. the soap is soft enough that you can carve it carefully with a sharp knife or a small plane. use circular motion as if peeling an orange, then the soap 'peels' can easily be mashed into a shallow jar of some sort. you will certainly enjoy it and it's nice that you're sharing with another as well.

BRILLIANT!!!!

Now why didn't I think of that?

Great idea and saves the potential wastage of the grater or other tool - thanks guys! :)

Top Bottom