What's new

Do I have potential for a walrus beardstache?

Hello all, first time posting here. I’m currently 1 month and almost 2 weeks into growing. I’m attempting a walrus beardstache for the first time and I’m just wondering if it looks like I even have the moustache density to grow a walrus?
Also, can anyone give me tips on how to trim/shape a walrus after I get some more length? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• C382903D-1F51-4429-8362-55552F768CCE.jpeg
    C382903D-1F51-4429-8362-55552F768CCE.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 61
  • 6853FD90-9EDF-46C1-94E5-7870DB655E42.jpeg
    6853FD90-9EDF-46C1-94E5-7870DB655E42.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 60
There is definitely enough hair density for a well filled in moustache and beard.

I do not have styling tips for a walrus. Only a warning after 6 months of my own moustache growing: be prepared to have food in the stache EVERY SINGLE TIME you bring it to your mouth and liquid dripping down on your shirt when sipping a beverage.

There is definitely enough hair density for a well filled in moustache and beard.

I do not have styling tips for a walrus. Only a warning after 6 months of my own moustache growing: be prepared to have food in the stache EVERY SINGLE TIME you bring it to your mouth and liquid dripping down on your shirt when sipping a beverage.
Thank you for the feedback. Do you think I should refrain from trimming it for at least 2 more months? Going for something like this, or maybe Ron Swanson-like - not sure how a blondish one is going to look but worth a try I suppose.

Attachments

• E8DD12F1-EBD1-4354-9301-06FEC82913E1.jpeg
    E8DD12F1-EBD1-4354-9301-06FEC82913E1.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 65
Don’t trim it for at least a few more months. It’s tough to not want to trim your top lip but once you start doing that it loses fullness and you can’t go back easily.
Get a nice comb(Kent 87t is my suggestion), and a good wax and steady training it.

The color will be very nice.

My goal was to grow a "swooping" English style/handlebar moustache, much like the shape of the Mr. Pringles logo. You definitely need wax to train the hair to go to the sides. Not trimming for 6 months means some very long hair, covering both lips down to my chin.

The walrus is a different style, so I do not know what the trimming requirements are. Surely You Tube will have many recommendations. I would guess that one advantage of the walrus would be not requiring wax because it is more natural, and the hair would not be forced to hold in a direction is does not naturally want to go.

Two months sounds like a reasonable time to go before even thinking about trimming.

One YT recommendation I saw, that really works, is if you do trim with scissors along somewhere below the lip line, smile when you do the cutting and cut straight across. When the muscles relax, the bottom line of the stache will look natural and straight.

I highly second the suggestion for the Kent moustache comb.

The color will be very nice.

My goal was to grow a "swooping" English style/handlebar moustache, much like the shape of the Mr. Pringles logo. You definitely need wax to train the hair to go to the sides. Not trimming for 6 months means some very long hair, covering both lips down to my chin.

The walrus is a different style, so I do not know what the trimming requirements are. Surely You Tube will have many recommendations. I would guess that one advantage of the walrus would be not requiring wax because it is more natural, and the hair would not be forced to hold in a direction is does not naturally want to go.

Two months sounds like a reasonable time to go before even thinking about trimming.

One YT recommendation I saw, that really works, is if you do trim with scissors along somewhere below the lip line, smile when you do the cutting and cut straight across. When the muscles relax, the bottom line of the stache will look natural and straight.

I highly second the suggestion for the Kent moustache comb.
Thanks, I hope so. Also hoping it’ll darken a bit over time with more length. The handlebar is awesome. It may be something I’ll try in the future but right now I’m just looking for something low maintenance and hard to screw up lol. I just ordered a Zeus brand fine tooth comb and it looks similar to the Kent so I’m assuming it should suffice. As far as the specifics of trimming it when the time comes, I’ll refer to YouTube. I actually ordered wax with the comb - would you say even though it’s not necessarily, I can still benefit from applying it and combing downwards since I already have it?

The wax certainly will not hurt. The moustache, especially a larger one, becomes the focal point of the face. Anything that keeps the hairs behaving will help you out. A good beard oil overnight might be all you need to keep things looking healthy and proper. Oil and wax do not mix, so do not apply them at the same time. Oil is wax remover (shampoo alone will not get wax out; olive oil is cheaper than beard oil for removal).

You may very well find the hair starts doing unexpected things as it grows out. For me, the hair naturally wants to curl inwards, so I am growing a large crop of parentheses under my nose ((((())))). The wax does well enough swooping the center hairs to the side. The problem for me is the natural growth is asymmetrical. One side naturally swoops into the expected wave, the other side dramatically curls back towards my mouth. No amount of wax has been able to keep it from curling under in 10 seconds. After 6 months I finally admit defeat. I trimmed this week.

The wax certainly will not hurt. The moustache, especially a larger one, becomes the focal point of the face. Anything that keeps the hairs behaving will help you out. A good beard oil overnight might be all you need to keep things looking healthy and proper. Oil and wax do not mix, so do not apply them at the same time. Oil is wax remover (shampoo alone will not get wax out; olive oil is cheaper than beard oil for removal).

You may very well find the hair starts doing unexpected things as it grows out. For me, the hair naturally wants to curl inwards, so I am growing a large crop of parentheses under my nose ((((())))). The wax does well enough swooping the center hairs to the side. The problem for me is the natural growth is asymmetrical. One side naturally swoops into the expected wave, the other side dramatically curls back towards my mouth. No amount of wax has been able to keep it from curling under in 10 seconds. After 6 months I finally admit defeat. I trimmed this week.
Once again, thank you very much for the help. One last thing… do you see how the sides of my mustache extend past the corners and downwards? Should I leave it as is or trim it more. I attached a picture to visualize what I mean. Leave at red or cut at blue?

Attachments

• 793291D3-2854-434D-A037-40E8CE40B9B6.jpeg
    793291D3-2854-434D-A037-40E8CE40B9B6.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
I'm no expert. I have worn a beard most of my life starting in high school, trimming with clippers regularly with a #2 guard. I always dreamed of a large, rich beard, but it always looked too wild when it got longer. I tried the moustache recently hoping to get something epic on a more limited/manageable scale. It was successful, but alas the hair grows the wrong way.

All that to say I have experimented lightly and watched YouTube, but have not pulled anything off successfully.

That said, for the look you are going for, I would use the bottom red line as the cutoff at this point. The hair in the middle will fill in and maybe you can trim it across the mouth at the red line. Having the growth on the sides of the mouth will give more fulness all the way across. If you were going for handlebar, then you would trim below the mouth crease (blue line).

The red line is also consistent with The One Big Rule of Trimming: Take off as little as possible. You can always take more off, but you can't put it back if you trim too far.

ROCK IT.

Top Bottom