What's new

Do horsehair brushes ever stop shedding?

My Vie Long Horsehair brush sheds like mad. I've had it for a little over five years and it sheds just as much as when I first got it.

That doesn’t sound right. I have 2 Vie Long horse hair brushes, one from bullgoose shaving and one from a Spanish friend visiting. Both shed a hair or 2 during the first couple of weeks but haven’t lost a hair since. Sounds like your knot was defective from the start?

Unfortunately, many shed quite a bit.

The couple I had never stopped shedding.
I ended up replacing the knots with badger knots.
I might look into that. I really like the handle, so if losing more than a couple hairs every time I lather is too much for me, then I'll change the knot.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
My Vie-long white horse finally stopped shedding 4-6 hairs per shave ....

.... only when I pulled the thing apart and glued in a new badger knot!

full

My Vie-long white horse finally stopped shedding 4-6 hairs per shave ....

.... only when I pulled the thing apart and glued in a new badger knot!

full

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji106] You made my day!

Enviado desde mi Moto E (4) mediante Tapatalk

I think the horse's hair in the brush is somehow psychically linked to the hair that's on that same horse today. Therefore, the brush will not stop shedding until you've found that same exact horse and made it stop shedding. You must shave that horse.

All brushes usually shed a few hairs when new. When a new brush continues to shed you need to contact the seller and ask for a replacement or refund. Vie-Long brushes have a good warranty... I have owned 6 for 12 - 13 years , and only one got sent back for shedding......Horse hair brushes are excellent, and even the finest names in brushes can produce a shedder...

Horse hair is more fragile than badger. The brush will absorb a lot of water if soaked for a couple of minutes and the hair will become a lot more flexible. Still, splaying the brush out to its maximum extent and running it in circles can damage the hairs. You have to adapt to the tool you're using. Very low pressure and a mix of circular and painter strokes will build a good lather with a horsehair brush.

Top Bottom