What's new

Do Heavier handles improve Cartridge Shaving?

Coming back to carts after 5 years of exclusive DE shaving. I find the original handles for carts comparatively light weight. I have tried a few after martket heavy weight handles, for Atra and Sensor. I find heavier handles seem to smooth out the cartridge and improve the shave.
Does anyone else find that?
What handles have you tried and what did you think?

Yup i like the heavier handles myself also. This allows me to use zero or very little pressure and allow the weight of the razor do the work.

Yup i like the heavier handles myself also. This allows me to use zero or very little pressure and allow the weight of the razor do the work.
I think that is a large part of why I prefer heavy handles, with light ones, you have to figure out how much pressure to apply and that can mean irritaiton for me, or a shave not as close as I like. I think that pressure/weight issue is why like handles 'chatter' more?

I think that is a large part of why I prefer heavy handles, with light ones, you have to figure out how much pressure to apply and that can mean irritaiton for me, or a shave not as close as I like. I think that pressure/weight issue is why like handles 'chatter' more?
100% agree....a very light handle can "chatter" and skip if you go too fast. Thats kinda why a heavy DE razor just mows through long stubble. The weight just plows through. I use a Schick silver plated handle for my Trac II blades and a Reed & Barton sterling silver handle for my Atra blades. Both are heavier than the original handles and i enjoy the weight/balance.

I enjoy using my Personna Core Motion Handle with my Shick Quattro Titanium Cartridge. Just the right amount of weight and the right cartridge to mow down 3 day's worth of stubble. Here's a pic of the handle with a Personna Caliber-5 Cartridge installed. I much prefer the Schick Cartridge.

Clayton
proxy.php

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I think I'm the odd man out in the shave world. I'm happy with the weight of the vendor handles. I don't think they are giving us lighter handles simply due to cost. I'm sure they've tested different weights and went with the best combination of size / weight that did well in focus groups and then figured out how to hit that size and weight as cheaply as they could. I fully admit I like the higher end handles of the better disposables and carts than the entry level, but I like the Bic Flex 5 probably the best of all because it's heavy enough and has the best feel and balance in my hand. My next favorite is the Dorco Pace 7 handle which weighs more than the Bic, but just feels really well made.

Thinking about this, we should have a resource here in the "Modern" section on aftermarket handles and which carts cross-fit other handles.

I could see myself buying a handle, not really for heft, but for a design I like. This is one area Gillette seems ahead of most, i think they sell heads to whomever wants to build handles because there is a giant market of aftermarket handles for Gillette compared to Schick or anything else. I think previously it came out that Bulldog handles fit some Schick carts (same parent company)

I think I'm the odd man out in the shave world. I'm happy with the weight of the vendor handles. I don't think they are giving us lighter handles simply due to cost. I'm sure they've tested different weights and went with the best combination of size / weight that did well in focus groups and then figured out how to hit that size and weight as cheaply as they could. I fully admit I like the higher end handles of the better disposables and carts than the entry level, but I like the Bic Flex 5 probably the best of all because it's heavy enough and has the best feel and balance in my hand. My next favorite is the Dorco Pace 7 handle which weighs more than the Bic, but just feels really well made.

Thinking about this, we should have a resource here in the "Modern" section on aftermarket handles and which carts cross-fit other handles.

I could see myself buying a handle, not really for heft, but for a design I like. This is one area Gillette seems ahead of most, i think they sell heads to whomever wants to build handles because there is a giant market of aftermarket handles for Gillette compared to Schick or anything else. I think previously it came out that Bulldog handles fit some Schick carts (same parent company)
Schick under Warner Lambert had plenty of aftermarket handles, I have a rather tasteless Koh-i-noor Ultra.

I absolutely prefer a heavier handle. I get a much better shave with my solid metal, 1970s-era Trac II handle than I ever could with a lightweight plastic one.

Initially maybe, but with a little time you can adjust your technique so that it doesn’t make any difference. Of course, this principle doesn’t apply to rotators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I generally subscribe to the heavier the better BUT the grip needs to be there. If the handle is slippery and its a heavy handle then it gets tricky.

Nah,it doesn't really matter if you have good technique.
Thinking about it my absolute favourite DE razor is the Fatip picolo and it's light as a feather.
My favourite modern razor that I use when flying is the Bic metal and it is an absolute featherweight but shaves me just as well.

I head shave and for me it’s grip and balance rather than weight which are the important factors.
In this respect I find the original Gillette Contour handles to be perfect.
The original Trac II handles are pretty light but a delight to use also.

I always liked the Bakelite DEs and a lighter handle can definitely be more responsive and manouverable.

I like heavier handle to the point that I now like those vibrating handles just because the weight the battery gives it...

I think I'm the odd man out in the shave world. I'm happy with the weight of the vendor handles. I don't think they are giving us lighter handles simply due to cost. I'm sure they've tested different weights and went with the best combination of size / weight that did well in focus groups and then figured out how to hit that size and weight as cheaply as they could.

Yeah, at least Gillette isn't giving us the handles that they give to Indians in razors like the Vector (basically Atra or Sensor cart handles). Those things feel like hollow plastic and weigh nothing.

Still, I've shaved with them, and they do work. I just prefer a little more weight.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I am usually happy with the weight of the handles that the vendors supply. To me it is meant to be the correct handle to use.

I'm actually finding lightweight handles are better for shaving cross-grain or against-the-grain, as it tends to have better balance.

I use a Mach 3 when traveling and when I found out about brushes and DE's and soaps and creams I bought an Edwin Jagger handle for my Mach 3 carts. I like the extra weight in my hand, but I wouldn't say the shave is any better than it was before. It just feels better in my hand. The result on my face is no different however. I much prefer double edge razors but since I insist on carrying on my luggage, I use carts when traveling and always take my EJ handle.

Top Bottom