What's new

Do form fitting underwear trap the heat? And other questions

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have always worn Bonds cotton briefs. I tried boxers a while ago but I didn’t like the “feeling free” feeling. Funny what you get used to.

@ajkel64 I started wearing boxers regularly again after wanting to provide more circulation (of air) there.

Boxers do feel weird at first, but with time, they'll feel like second nature.

Hear me now and listen to me later-Ex Officio is the way to go for performance boxer briefs. 20 ish per and worth every penny. 10 days/100+ miles/3 pair for 2014 Philmont Hiking Trip. No chafing at all. Life was good.

I had a pair,(years ago,) but sent them back, because I could feel the raised waffle iron stitching/pattern on my skin, an found that to be an uncomfortable feeling...

Have things changed since then?

Thanks in advance,

Duggo

That was my issue with ex-officio and Duluth. As the fabric wore, the weave seemd pronounced and irritated clammy skin. Legs seldom fit if the waist does on must brands, for me, or the pouch is insufficient, or the elastic fails too early. Legs rise, waist droops. This is why i switched to fundoshis. They are infinitely adjustable, keep you drier, and to my surprise, reduce any stink from a sweaty day’s work incredibly, and no more chafing. The cotton gauze and hemp ones are excellent at wicking and evaporating moisture away.

I switched years ago to Duluth Bucknaked and never looked back. Briefs for me.

This is what I did as well. I originally bought a pair and grumbled about the price....wore them the first time to work and immediately went and bought several more pairs and never looked back....I have 12 pairs now and buy more every couple months when I see them on sale.

That was my issue with ex-officio and Duluth. As the fabric wore, the weave seemd pronounced and irritated clammy skin. Legs seldom fit if the waist does on must brands, for me, or the pouch is insufficient, or the elastic fails too early. Legs rise, waist droops. This is why i switched to fundoshis. They are infinitely adjustable, keep you drier, and to my surprise, reduce any stink from a sweaty day’s work incredibly, and no more chafing. The cotton gauze and hemp ones are excellent at wicking and evaporating moisture away.

With duluth you really need to follow the care instructions. They clean and dry easily so delicate cycle in the washer and low heat in the dyer and mine hold up just fine....don't use fabric softener either as its not necessary in my opinion/experience. I wash my socks and underwear together separate from my pants and shirts.

With duluth you really need to follow the care instructions. They clean and dry easily so delicate cycle in the washer and low heat in the dyer and mine hold up just fine....don't use fabric softener either as its not necessary in my opinion/experience. I wash my socks and underwear together separate from my pants and shirts.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll change the way I launder the couple pair I have left to that method, and see how they hold up. That could sure do it ai suppose.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Thanks for the tip. I’ll change the way I launder the couple pair I have left to that method, and see how they hold up. That could sure do it ai suppose.
My wife washes them like normal underwear, an I have not seen any deterioration or else, they are holding very, very well!! Much better than the cotton undies I used to wear in the past.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Lots of good info here! Yet another highly personalized topic ...

Was given a pair of bamboo Cariloa? Something like that. Great but $$. Still looking for BBs as good for less.

AA

Champion Boxer Briefs from Costco at 3 for $18 I think. So much heat and uncormfortable weather in a ktichen. I try to take care of what I can. I have thicker thighs that rub and the material between my thighs is getting thin but holding out after a couple of years of wear. Other than that they look new. Elastic, other material etc.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Yes, it's a great deal more about sort of fabric and a little more about design than it is about the amount of fabric.

I switched to ExOfficio boxers and briefs a few years ago and have never looked back. They are very comfortable, very cool, and hold up very well. I still have all the original pairs that I bought in 2016, and only some of them are showing some wear (mostly in the elastic), but all still work just fine.

Boxer briefs don't do it for me at all. I have relatively large thighs, so the legs always bunch and ride up, and that doesn't fly. Typically, I wear briefs with long pants and boxers with shorts, but that also depends a bit on how closely the pants fit in the groin area (the closer the fit, the more likely I am to wear briefs). Other than how they interact with my pants, I really don't feel any difference between boxers and briefs.

Hear me now and listen to me later-Ex Officio is the way to go for performance boxer briefs. 20 ish per and worth every penny. 10 days/100+ miles/3 pair for 2014 Philmont Hiking Trip. No chafing at all. Life was good.

I went with ~$20 compression shorts for my Philmont trips. They stayed in place and kept everything else in place, as well--no bunching or chafing at all.

I can not wear boxers. Much too much of the boys banging around with each other.
I need a boxer brief. The "trapping" has to do with the material much more so than the design of the garment.
I wear WOOL boxer briefs and even in the summer they keep me cooler than anything cotton that I wear. It breathes and it keeps the heat trap away. Natural cooling if you will.

I also wear merino wool polo shirts in the summer for the same reason, especially when traveling. Bonus, you can air dry it by hanging it overnight and can wear for multiple days in a row. Wool is magic. Cotton is a death trap for heat and wetness. Polyester - NEVER.

Here is my favorite, and it's on Sale so I am grabbing a couple today.

Last edited:
I switched years ago to Duluth Bucknaked and never looked back. Briefs for me.

:thumbup: While I sleep in tighty-whiteys, I prefer wearing Duluth Buck Naked boxer-briefs most days. Been a fan of Duluth products for a very long time, especially their longtail, pocket tee's. Some of my Duluth pocket tee's must be 15-20 years old by now.

Last edited:
I can not wear boxers. Much too much of the boys banging around with each other.
I need a boxer brief. The "trapping" has to do with the material much more so than the design of the garment.
I wear WOOL boxer briefs and even in the summer they keep me cooler than anything cotton that I wear. It breathes and it keeps the heat trap away. Natural cooling if you will.

I also wear merino wool polo shirts in the summer for the same reason, especially when traveling. Bonus, you can air dry it by hanging it overnight and can wear for multiple days in a row. Wool is magic. Cotton is a death trap for heat and wetness. Polyester - NEVER.

Here is my favorite, and it's on Sale so I am grabbing a couple today.
How do you get along without the fly? Isn’t it a pain with dockers or dress pants?

How do you get along without the fly? Isn’t it a pain with dockers or dress pants?
This is surely TMI I, but I do not use the fly on any pair of underwear when hitting the head. I have always done a full undoing of the belt and pants, never thru the fly!

Top Bottom