What's new

Do electric shavers really need cleaning stations or is it just hype?

I agree with @Flyboybob. post #8. I too have used an electric razor since 1969. As he said, back then they had no cleaning station and they were not washable. My razors worked just fine for years and all I did was brush out the hairs and tap the head on a hard surface. The blades lasted for years also.
I used to clean my older Braun, and Norelco shaving heads in rubbing alcohol when I would do my weekly shaver cleaning. When everything was dry and reassembled each head got a shot of Remington Shaversaver with the shaver running.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

I used to clean my older Braun, and Norelco shaving heads in rubbing alcohol when I would do my weekly shaver cleaning. When everything was dry and reassembled each head got a shot of Remington Shaversaver with the shaver running.

Clayton

You built a manual cleaning station which required nothing more than a bottle of isopropyl alcohol and a can of Shaversaver. How long did that routine require weekly? 😁

You built a manual cleaning station which required nothing more than a bottle of isopropyl alcohol and a can of Shaversaver. How long did that routine require weekly? [emoji16]
Hello Bob, counting drying time I would guess an hour or so. I used the Remington Shaversaver can cap to soak the shaver heads in. Rubbing alcohol is cheap and it evaporates fast. I used a soft toothbrush if I had to lightly scrub anything.

Clayton

Hello Bob, counting drying time I would guess an hour or so. I used the Remington Shaversaver can cap to soak the shaver heads in. Rubbing alcohol is cheap and it evaporates fast. I used a soft toothbrush if I had to lightly scrub anything.

Clayton

A Braun series 7 or 9 cassette might fit in the Shaversaver cap, but a small bowl would substitute. if you want cleaning station clean, then this is the economical way to go. I’m just not that concerned with my shaver being sanitized as long as the clippings are emptied.

Lots of recipes online, but probably a suitable alternative for a Braun would be enough 70% isopropyl in a dish deep enough to submerge the shaver head, with a drop or two of light mineral oil and maybe a drop of lemon oil, then run the shaver a few times with the head submerged. Cheaper than a station and cartridge, likely as effective, and could be reused if you used a sealable dish. Would just take care not to get isopropyl in the innards (not sure how alcohol-proof the internal components are). And remember you're working with a flammable liquid in an open container, now vaporized. Or just run the head in a container of water with a drop or two of dish soap - not sanitizing but probably effective at cleaning. Having said that, I'm not recommending any of the above, in case a lawyer asks. :001_smile

Lots of recipes online, but probably a suitable alternative for a Braun would be enough 70% isopropyl in a dish deep enough to submerge the shaver head, with a drop or two of light mineral oil and maybe a drop of lemon oil, then run the shaver a few times with the head submerged. Cheaper than a station and cartridge, likely as effective, and could be reused if you used a sealable dish. Would just take care not to get isopropyl in the innards (not sure how alcohol-proof the internal components are). And remember you're working with a flammable liquid in an open container, now vaporized. Or just run the head in a container of water with a drop or two of dish soap - not sanitizing but probably effective at cleaning. Having said that, I'm not recommending any of the above, in case a lawyer asks. :001_smile

There is am aftermarket solution called shaver shebang (not kidding) that is a lubricant and scented oil all in one and you mix with a bottle of 70% iso. You can add it to an empty rinsed out Braun cleaning cartridge or (like mentioned above) you can put it its own container and dip the shaver or soak the head. It is significantly cheaper then buying Braun cleaning cartridges and it does work somewhat as advertised but, through extensive testing and comparison, I can confidently tell you it does not work anywhere near as well as the braun formula.

When using it in a refilled cartridge you will run through it noticably quicker:
In my series 3 & 7 stations a new cartridge will last up to 5 weeks of daily use, and 3-4 weeks in my series 9 (due to the stupid fan). In the same conditions as above, a refilled cartridge with shaver shebang would last me about 3 weeks with the 3 & 7 and about 2 weeks with the 9.

I also noticed it doesn't dry nearly as well. With the Braun solution my 3 & 7 would be dry to the touch in about 3-4 hours where as the shaver shebang solution would leave the heads dripping wet after 4 hours. On my series 9 (with the fan) the head would be bone dry after the 45 min fan cycle with Braun solution and still slightly damp with shaver shebang.

The 'lubrication' in the shaver shebang is very sticky once it dries and I can definitely hear weaker motor models (like my 3) give off a slightly audible 'hesitation' when starting.

I tried forgoing the cleaning station a together and simply dipping the running shaver into a plastic cup of the shaver shebang solution. This would be an affordable alternative or great if someone got a model that is wet/dry but didn't come with a cleaning station and wants to tread those waters without getting a new shaver. Unfortunately, the shaver shebang solution still had the above pitfalls.

Another thing worth noting: I've owned atleast 5 different Braun shavers made in the last decade and the only one that ever developed a crack in the plastic housing is the only one I ever exclusively cleaned with the shaver shebang solution and never the Braun solution. Not saying the aftermarket solution caused it but that is an interesting coincidence none the less

So to sum it up, if you like/want to try a process cleaning of your shaver or want to attempt to save a few bucks.. try an aftermarket solution.

For me, the Braun solution works so well, last so long, and is very affordable when buying 3 or 6pks online that it's not worth the hassle to me.

Last edited:
The cleaning solution for the Braun shaver is not that expensive. It's not messy and it's so easy to use.

I would suggest cleaning the shaver in station once a week. The other times just run it under water.

The other suggestion is to always put the plastic tab back on the cleaning container when not in use so it wont evaporate.

I use a cleaning station exclusively with all my electrics (with the exception of the Prestige which didn't come with one, and I actually swap heads with my 9000 Series to clean). Fast, efficient and keeps the shavers in perfect working order. I like shaving with a clean, pleasant-scented shaver every morning, and fiddling with a manual method 1) takes too much time, 2) is too messy, and 3) potentially voids my warranty and potentially shortens the life of my shaver. The "gimmick" of a cleaning station, probably well understood by manufacturers who saw consumers buying increased convenience, works remarkably well as a design. My car has a navigation system, a costly feature that obviates the need for paper maps - it seems to be selling pretty well also, I suspect because many consumers prefer it over a perfectly good, inexpensive piece of paper. But I do understand the search for economy. The station(s) cost the equivalent of a Starbucks every month, worth it to me.

The cleaning solution for the Braun shaver is not that expensive. It's not messy and it's so easy to use.

I would suggest cleaning the shaver in station once a week. The other times just run it under water.

The other suggestion is to always put the plastic tab back on the cleaning container when not in use so it wont evaporate.
I use a cleaning station exclusively with all my electrics (with the exception of the Prestige which didn't come with one, and I actually swap heads with my 9000 Series to clean). Fast, efficient and keeps the shavers in perfect working order. I like shaving with a clean, pleasant-scented shaver every morning, and fiddling with a manual method 1) takes too much time, 2) is too messy, and 3) potentially voids my warranty and potentially shortens the life of my shaver. The "gimmick" of a cleaning station, probably well understood by manufacturers who saw consumers buying increased convenience, works remarkably well as a design. My car has a navigation system, a costly feature that obviates the need for paper maps - it seems to be selling pretty well also, I suspect because many consumers prefer it over a perfectly good, inexpensive piece of paper. But I do understand the search for economy. The station(s) cost the equivalent of a Starbucks every month, worth it to me.

I agree with everything above. I know @Flyboybob doesn't use them, and that's totally fine, but I personally prefer them. Great part is, just like DE shaving, we have a ton of options catering to many tastes! As I type this you can get a 6pk of Braun cleaning solution cartridges on Amazon for $25, that's $4.16 per cartridge and they last me about month a piece (average across the board). The 32s replacement head is also $25. Let's say I get 1 month per cleaning solution and 12 months per blade cassette... That's $75 per year of daily near bbs shaves in just a few minutes per shave.

I spend $75 on new drum heads every quarter. I spend $75 every two weeks on lunch (I'm a sales rep on the road). That's pennies to me for the annual speed, convenience and comfort. The total cumulative time it takes me to shave my head and face daily every week equals what most DE guys spend per shave.

I agree with everything above. I know @Flyboybob doesn't use them, and that's totally fine, but I personally prefer them. Great part is, just like DE shaving, we have a ton of options catering to many tastes! As I type this you can get a 6pk of Braun cleaning solution cartridges on Amazon for $25, that's $4.16 per cartridge and they last me about month a piece (average across the board). The 32s replacement head is also $25. Let's say I get 1 month per cleaning solution and 12 months per blade cassette... That's $75 per year of daily near bbs shaves in just a few minutes per shave.

I spend $75 on new drum heads every quarter. I spend $75 every two weeks on lunch (I'm a sales rep on the road). That's pennies to me for the annual speed, convenience and comfort. The total cumulative time it takes me to shave my head and face daily every week equals what most DE guys spend per shave.

Obviously, it’s not so much the continuing cost verses just rinsing or brushing out the clippings. In the end a cleaning station is just another gadget. I have an iPhone which is a gadget I could live without by getting a free dumb phone from my carrier. If it makes you happy then it’s worth the cost and the counter space.

And if you shave dry, as many do, the savings from not buying artisan soaps, creams, brushes and "stuff" likely saves enough to buy a new shaver every year! In my case, the savings is just not purchasing blades and the next best DE razor every month! :biggrin1:

I have a 35 € Xiami Mijami electric shaver , I use it once in a while. I use it mostly for wet shaving. I think useing it wet cleans it sufficently. I rinse it after using, I believe it is suffcent for cleaning. Cleaning station is definetly a gimmick.

I just bought a Braun Series 6. It came without a cleaning station. The instructions state that All Braun shavers can be cleaned using hot running water. You can also use the supplied brush. If using hot water a little liquid soap can be useful.

It sounds like to me that not using a cleaning station will not harm your razor nor will it improve the cleaning.
Maybe it is a gimmick.
l

Would be interesting to know if it makes any difference in shaving time/quality (but the user should be blinded).
And another thing: do the foils/heads last any longer w cleaner.....

Id say its just hype but it is convenient to just pop your razor into the cleaning station and have it both cleaned and charged after each shave.

Would be interesting to know if it makes any difference in shaving time/quality (but the user should be blinded).
And another thing: do the foils/heads last any longer w cleaner.....

Makes a difference to me, because I want a clean, lubricated shaver every time I shave. You get that by 1) cleaning and lubricating it manually, post-shave, or 2) dropping it in a cleaning station. Regardless of the arguments for effectiveness or necessity, those are your only two options for my desired outcome - a clean, lubricated shaver. The shaver very apparently won't clean itself or lubricate itself. You can argue that it's not necessary for a quality shave (maybe not, depending on your definition of quality). You could argue that manual cleaning and lubrication is just as effective (for a cassette, likely not, for separate cutters and blade, perhaps). You could argue that manual cleaning is cheaper (likely, depending on the value of your time). You couldn't argue - successfully - that manual cleaning is more convenient, or faster. So for rationale, see sentence #1.

As for the second question, I don't know that any true double-blind studies have been done on shaver heads, except perhaps by the manufacturers. But you can infer, from thousands of technical studies that have been done regarding moving metal parts in intimate contact, that they will last longer (i.e., change less structurally and chemically) the less friction, wear and heat that is generated by that contact. Which, also by thousands of studies, cleaning and lubrication accomplishes. So there's that.

The question then becomes, would they last long enough without the above interventions. Maybe shaver heads would cut effectively for a year without doing anything. Or two years. The lifespan of a modern electric shaver is dependent on its batteries, probably on the order of 3 or 4 years, so you might need to change the head only once in the life of the shaver anyway. Or not. All valid considerations, maybe worthy of peer-review. But rounding back, for rationale, see sentence #1.

Makes a difference to me, because I want a clean, lubricated shaver every time I shave. You get that by 1) cleaning and lubricating it manually, post-shave, or 2) dropping it in a cleaning station. Regardless of the arguments for effectiveness or necessity, those are your only two options for my desired outcome - a clean, lubricated shaver. The shaver very apparently won't clean itself or lubricate itself. You can argue that it's not necessary for a quality shave (maybe not, depending on your definition of quality). You could argue that manual cleaning and lubrication is just as effective (for a cassette, likely not, for separate cutters and blade, perhaps). You could argue that manual cleaning is cheaper (likely, depending on the value of your time). You couldn't argue - successfully - that manual cleaning is more convenient, or faster. So for rationale, see sentence #1.

As for the second question, I don't know that any true double-blind studies have been done on shaver heads, except perhaps by the manufacturers. But you can infer, from thousands of technical studies that have been done regarding moving metal parts in intimate contact, that they will last longer (i.e., change less structurally and chemically) the less friction, wear and heat that is generated by that contact. Which, also by thousands of studies, cleaning and lubrication accomplishes. So there's that.

The question then becomes, would they last long enough without the above interventions. Maybe shaver heads would cut effectively for a year without doing anything. Or two years. The lifespan of a modern electric shaver is dependent on its batteries, probably on the order of 3 or 4 years, so you might need to change the head only once in the life of the shaver anyway. Or not. All valid considerations, maybe worthy of peer-review. But rounding back, for rationale, see sentence #1.

On April 27th last year I bought my new Braun 7983s shaver and I haven’t used it wet nor have I rinsed it with water with nearly daily shaves. I tap out the clippings after each shave and I will see if the cutter/screen cassette gives the same quality shave after a year as it did when new and again after 18 months when the replacement cassette warning indicator illuminates. If I get more than 18 months on the cassette, then I will be ahead of the game.

If I have to replace the cassette earlier than 18 months, then we will know if it’s worth lubricaing the shaver. I’m convinced that following Braun’s dry shaving instructions will result in at least the advertised 18 month life of the cassette.

Last edited:
My dad used Norelco and maybe Sunbeam shavers all his life, in those days: corded, dry shaving and just cleaned it once a week.... I remember doing it for him. He gave me one of his and did not like it. Maybe stuff back then lasted longer....as the drying and washing machine: 20+yrs.

My dad used Norelco and maybe Sunbeam shavers all his life, in those days: corded, dry shaving and just cleaned it once a week.... I remember doing it for him. He gave me one of his and did not like it. Maybe stuff back then lasted longer....as the drying and washing machine: 20+yrs.

All the shavers back then were corded without any batteries. The batteries in today’s shavers are the weak link in longevity because shaving wet requires that you can’t shave while charging the batteries. When the battery refuses to take or hold a charge it’s time to replace the shaver. If you open up the shaver and replace the batteries you probably will destroy the waterproofing. There are shavers available with batteries which can be used corded but can’t be used wet. I assume that they will continue to operate after the batteries die.

Those old shavers were powered by AC motors which lasted a very long time. Consider how long a plug in kitchen wall clock lasted while keeping time extremely accurately and lasted a very long time. As with today’s shavers the cutters and screens were easily replaceable and a shaver could last more than ten years by just replacing the cutters and or the screens.

Top Bottom