What's new

Do beard waxes or oils actually work?

I don't know if they have enhanced my beard's growth at all but they have definitely softened it, as well as eliminated both itching and flaking.

They work. They will soften your beard, help to keep your skin from drying out and getting, "beard flakes" and help to style your beard, to a point.
Basically, its just beeswax that contains beard oil and fragrance.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Beard oil does help soften your beard, while keeping you face from itching and keeps the dreaded beard-draft at bay.
Beard wax is for control of the stray hairs, it does not work well for holding mine for shaping plus I don't like the feel of it in my beard.

I've started to mix my own with good results. I can put in what I want, tweak the amount of each oil for what works for me.

I would suggest getting some and seeing for yourself.

For the first two weeks my red beard is itchy itchy so I use a beard wash with argan oil, and use 2 or 3 drops of beard oil every morning and night after shower. Takes the itch away 5 min later. If it wasn't for beard oil I would have never grown my beard.

For the first two weeks my red beard is itchy itchy so I use a beard wash with argan oil, and use 2 or 3 drops of beard oil every morning and night after shower. Takes the itch away 5 min later. If it wasn't for beard oil I would have never grown my beard.
IMO, thats what keeps most who want to grow a beard from sticking it out. After about a week the itch starts and people just shave it off. The beard oil helps with that.

Beard oil does help soften your beard, while keeping you face from itching and keeps the dreaded beard-draft at bay.
Beard wax is for control of the stray hairs, it does not work well for holding mine for shaping plus I don't like the feel of it in my beard.

I've started to mix my own with good results. I can put in what I want, tweak the amount of each oil for what works for me.

I would suggest getting some and seeing for yourself.
Have you tried Honest Amish Heavy Duty? Ive never tried it but Ive read/heard that its a bit thicker than the regular stuff and gives bit more hold.
If you dont like regular beard balm, you may not like it though because Id bet it has an even heavier feel than the regular stuff does. Personally, I use Grave Before Shave balm and find it gives me good enough hold without feeling like it weighs my beard down. They have so very good scents too. I like their vanilla cigar scent.

Have you tried Honest Amish Heavy Duty? Ive never tried it but Ive read/heard that its a bit thicker than the regular stuff and gives bit more hold.
If you dont like regular beard balm, you may not like it though because Id bet it has an even heavier feel than the regular stuff does. Personally, I use Grave Before Shave balm and find it gives me good enough hold without feeling like it weighs my beard down. They have so very good scents too. I like their vanilla cigar scent.

I've tried the HA Heavy Duty--it was a little too much for me. Love GBS stuff--their beard butter is good too.

I've been alternating between RazoRock's XXX beard oil and Pinaud Clubman 2 in 1 beard conditioner. I work both in with my hand and then take the RR beard brush to it. The jury is still out on which one I prefer.

The oil seems to go a long way as only a few drops are required. It does take away any itching. Gives the beard a bit of a shine too. It stays slick to the touch however. What I really like is that the scent matches RazoRock XXX soap and aftershave.

The conditioner is not oily at all. I really penetrates well and leaves no residue. Pleasing, mild scent. I like to stroke my beard and unlike the oil, the conditioner doesn't get on my hand.

I don't think either would enhance control of my somewhat unruly whiskers. The brush does help though. Have to do it every day. Probably a balm or wax would do the trick. Just don't want to gunk up my beard.

I'm about 3 weeks in this year (see today's pic) and after 6 weeks it gets pretty full. I let it grow out most years. Come Spring, it's gone.

beard stuff.JPG
3 weeks.JPG
6 weeks.JPG

Yes, they work. I've been using beard oil for a long time now.

I recently started using beard balm. It does help tame the beard, but you need quite a bit.

You can also add more bee’s wax to the balm you haveand it should take less product. Some extra included essential oils may be needed to help to keep the wax more fluid.

Try using a beard wax if you want more control. It will really help.
hmmm, i might try it.

I've been watching a few vids on youtube, and i noticed a lot of guys have started using a beard specifc straightener. So i gave in and bought one on amazon. It works, the beard gets tamed, and it sits straight down. Then i finish with the balm to hold it in place.

But i don't do that all the time, because i don't know if prolonged use of that heat on the beard will damage it. According to the beard guys it doesn't, but i don't wanna take chances.

So i will probably buy the beard wax.

@MrLara I don't have any experience with beard straightener so I can't help you out there. But I'd def. recommend a wax. I'm assuming your beard is fairly long if you are straightening it. I'd put the balm or beard oil on first, then finish with a wax. It helps me if the beard is still a little damp when applying the wax. Seems to work much better. I use Honest Amish products, but there are a million other brands to choose from.

@MrLara I don't have any experience with beard straightener so I can't help you out there. But I'd def. recommend a wax. I'm assuming your beard is fairly long if you are straightening it. I'd put the balm or beard oil on first, then finish with a wax. It helps me if the beard is still a little damp when applying the wax. Seems to work much better. I use Honest Amish products, but there are a million other brands to choose from.
Thank you, i will buy it on amazon if they have it.

hmmm, i might try it.

I've been watching a few vids on youtube, and i noticed a lot of guys have started using a beard specifc straightener. So i gave in and bought one on amazon. It works, the beard gets tamed, and it sits straight down. Then i finish with the balm to hold it in place.

But i don't do that all the time, because i don't know if prolonged use of that heat on the beard will damage it. According to the beard guys it doesn't, but i don't wanna take chances.

So i will probably buy the beard wax.
Thank you, i will buy it on amazon if they have it.

Good luck! I'm sure you will be a fan. If you don't find honest amish on amazon (you should but sometimes they might not carry everything), go direct to honest amish's website. Actually a little cheaper and free shipping the majority of the time!

Top Bottom