Do beard waxes or oils actually work?

Discussion in 'Beards & Moustaches' started by Quest4WS, Jul 22, 2019.

Or are they another marketing gimmick? Do they soften or change the texture of the beard's growth?

1. I don't know if they have enhanced my beard's growth at all but they have definitely softened it, as well as eliminated both itching and flaking.

2. They give your beard beauty, shine, and manageability.

3. They work. They will soften your beard, help to keep your skin from drying out and getting, "beard flakes" and help to style your beard, to a point.
    Basically, its just beeswax that contains beard oil and fragrance.

4. cleanshaved

cleanshaved Moderator

Beard oil does help soften your beard, while keeping you face from itching and keeps the dreaded beard-draft at bay.
    Beard wax is for control of the stray hairs, it does not work well for holding mine for shaping plus I don't like the feel of it in my beard.

I've started to mix my own with good results. I can put in what I want, tweak the amount of each oil for what works for me.

I would suggest getting some and seeing for yourself.

5. For the first two weeks my red beard is itchy itchy so I use a beard wash with argan oil, and use 2 or 3 drops of beard oil every morning and night after shower. Takes the itch away 5 min later. If it wasn't for beard oil I would have never grown my beard.

6. IMO, thats what keeps most who want to grow a beard from sticking it out. After about a week the itch starts and people just shave it off. The beard oil helps with that.

7. Have you tried Honest Amish Heavy Duty? Ive never tried it but Ive read/heard that its a bit thicker than the regular stuff and gives bit more hold.
    If you dont like regular beard balm, you may not like it though because Id bet it has an even heavier feel than the regular stuff does. Personally, I use Grave Before Shave balm and find it gives me good enough hold without feeling like it weighs my beard down. They have so very good scents too. I like their vanilla cigar scent.