What's new

Do badger brushes "break-in"?

I have seen alot of posts about badger brushes breaking in. I have 6 badgers and apart from de-funking, I've never noticed any sort of a increase in performance after months or even years of use.

I've read alot of badger shaving brush related stickies here at B&B and I don't recall anything about a badger brush performing better after "break-in". Thoughts on this? Thanks.

My brushes are:
Rooney 1/1 in super
TGN finest, ST, Pure
C&E BBB
Acca Kappa pure

My oldest TGN finest (most used brush I own, was my primary/sole brush for many months, and was used aggressively in a rough scuttle) softened up a lot with use. All my brushes seem to lose a little backbone after a few uses (not particularly noticeable) Just from the hairs blooming out fully and the knot opening up a touch more deeply. Most seem to have a faint increase in tip softness after a lot of use, but not really anything like what you see from a boar. I will say that my TGN finest was set at a VERY low loft (41-43mm if memory serves), didn't bloom at all (was actually "pinched" at the base), so it was VERY firm, making the softening up a lot more noticeable. On an average silvertip with a 55mm loft, I expect that the brush could soften up quite a lot without a user noticing.

Last edited:
When the brush blooms out, I would call that break in. Whether it performs better is a matter of preference.

This interests me also.

I was more curious as to if the tips get softer, rather than a reduction in backbone.

Frankly, I have had quite a few, sold some, PIFed others, and never put very many miles on any of them.

The softest tipped brush I have now is one Loric sold me, a Penworks 30mm monster. It's my favorite and the tips are very very soft. I have no idea how many miles he put on it.

I am down to about 8 now, (2 more in the works) so I use one about every week.

I certainly experienced a break-in period with the Simpson Eagle G3 in Best, probably because of its density.

After a month of use it seemed to produce and release lather more easily than when used new.

I haven't noticed anything similar with my other badgers.

My Simpsons Colonel XL2 took about 2 months to fully break in. Initially, I found it a little scritchy for my taste. After a lot of use, the tips softened just a little bit, and they became just right. I would imagine that this is common with Simpsons best hair brushes.

Something of a generalization, but not very much. They may get somewhat softer, perhaps due to mechanical use, or perhaps some reconditioning from shaving soaps. However, I wouldn't expect dramatic change. I have noted that some brushes were a little stiffer than I'd like at first, but became milder with a little use.

The break-in doesn't seem to be as prolonged or pronounced as with boar, which changes dramatically, and over a long period of time (notable transformation can occur for months).

When I first got my 57, the first face lather was a bit prickly and uncomfortable. After a week or so, the tips were far softer.

Yes, my Rooney 1/1 finest and Simpson Classic 2 best were each very stiff for a while. Both are slowly opening up and becoming easier to use. The Classic 2 hardly bloomed at all, at first. I think this is primarily due to the density of hair in each brush.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
When the brush blooms out, I would call that break in. Whether it performs better is a matter of preference.
Roobaix:
+ 1 ...touché. :thumbup:

Christopher
proxy.php

My Simpsons Colonel XL2 took about 2 months to fully break in. Initially, I found it a little scritchy for my taste. After a lot of use, the tips softened just a little bit, and they became just right. I would imagine that this is common with Simpsons best hair brushes.

My replacement Colonel X2L Best(the original was a shedder) is now 3 weeks old and still hasn't fully bloomed, although it does appear to be going that way now. The original shedder bloomed pretty much immediately.

David

My wife bought me a Mason Pearson Best Badger a while ago and it has proved to be a good brush. However, for the first few weeks the hairs were "needle sharp" and it certainly needed a break-in period.

On the other hand, I just got a hand-made silvertip from Elite and it was pretty well perfect from the moment it hit the warm water...

I think the most of the "break-in" is us getting used to it. I also agree that density has a bit to do with it, but mainly that the density will slightly dissipate with the bloom of the knot after use.

Top Bottom