What's new

Do as I say, not as I do

Hot grease is very much no joke. Since others are sharing, I'll add in my story...

When I was 17, I was enrolled in vocational classes for half my school day, and I was taking professional baking. Early in October I slipped on the floor next to the fryer we used for donuts. As I fell, I instinctively grabbed onto the arm mechanism that holds the apparatus that turns donut dough into donuts as it drops them into the hot grease. Sadly, my weight and momentum combined with the leverage on the extended arm off the fryer won, and I tipped the entire fryer over onto myself as I fell, resulting in about 200 pounds of about 275-325 degree grease splashing and spilling all over me. 4 weeks in the hospital burn unit, and another 8-10 weeks of various medical outpatient care was not the most fun time I've had in my life, for sure.

Play it extra safe and careful in the kitchen, all. lol

Dustin i can't begin to imagine what you must have gone through.

Glad you're around to tell the tale.

dave

Dustin i can't begin to imagine what you must have gone through.

Glad you're around to tell the tale.

dave
Thanks. I'm glad to still be here for sure as well. Even small burns are something I'd not ever wish upon anyone. They rank way up high on the scale of "painful injuries". Tho, as a side note, I've realized over the many years since that my own pain tolerance level is abnormally high now. Not always the benefit some would think, since you tend to ignore some things that could put others onto the ground, cause they are pretty serious issues that shouldn't be ignored. Several years back now, I had diabetic ketoacidosis and ignored the symptoms for like 3 or possibly 4 days. Which is another thing that is no joke, and easily leads to no longer being topside on the planet.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Hot grease is very much no joke. Since others are sharing, I'll add in my story...

When I was 17, I was enrolled in vocational classes for half my school day, and I was taking professional baking. Early in October I slipped on the floor next to the fryer we used for donuts. As I fell, I instinctively grabbed onto the arm mechanism that holds the apparatus that turns donut dough into donuts as it drops them into the hot grease. Sadly, my weight and momentum combined with the leverage on the extended arm off the fryer won, and I tipped the entire fryer over onto myself as I fell, resulting in about 200 pounds of about 275-325 degree grease splashing and spilling all over me. 4 weeks in the hospital burn unit, and another 8-10 weeks of various medical outpatient care was not the most fun time I've had in my life, for sure.

Damn

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

^^^ What he said.

Damn...I've seen 5 year old kids crispy crittered in house fires into a totally black, burnt body.

That musta hurt bad there, Dustin. At least you're still alive...thankfully.

My cousin is a nurse and I do not want to work at a burn unit at a hospital. At all.

How's your burn coming along, nate? Aloe on it quite a bit? That's some good stuff.

Glad you are still looking down at the dirt. My arm burn sucks but nothing compared to what you went through.

Thanks all. Just really wanted to emphasize the point of being super careful and aware when cooking. Not all accidents are as minor as we would wish. :)

Top Bottom