What's new

Do any of you use a lubricant on your hinge pin for your straight razor for corrosion resistance?

I’ve been using Corrosion block oil on my hinge pins for all my straight razors for added protection against corrosion in blade hole meets the scales in case water corrosion. I make sure that my blades are completely dry bur sometimes I’m not sure I got everything. I get a little leery on using a hairdryer Due to some of my skills are buffalo horn.Do any of you use anything different? I used tough glide years ago but I didn’t like the residue that it put on some of my scales.

Sexy beast,

I don't specifically lubricate the hinge pin. I put 2 drops of baby oil on the blade and wipe it over the blade and tang length with my finger. Some may work its way in to the pin, but I don't specifically try. I store them out of the bathroom in a closed wooden box. While shaving I wipe the blade on toilet paper so the blade is never deliberately wet. I live in Sydney where humidity is an issue, If I get slack and don't oil I will get rust spots.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I think it will depend a lot on the environment it which you keep your SR's. I live on a small tropical island. I have always kept my SR's oiled or petroleum jellied between used but never actually oiled the hinge pin area. After over a year, all is still good.

That being said, I recently ordered a 30 litre automatic Andbon dry box (USD 85) from a camera store in Manila in which to store my SR's (I blame @Tomo for this). Hopefully this will arrive within a week or so. I don't have expensive SR's (USD 20 to 200 each) but I do have over 40.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I use an air blower (usually used for cameras) to blow out the water droplets in the details of the razor.

And after the end of the rotation, a little bit of silicone oil is added to avoid the accumulation of scale.

Air blower
Universal-Rubber-Air-Blower-Pump-Dust-Cleaner-Dust-Blower-Cleaning-for-Camera-Lens-Hot-Selling.jpg

I use an air blower (usually used for cameras) to blow out the water droplets in the details of the razor.

And after the end of the rotation, a little bit of silicone oil is added to avoid the accumulation of scale.

Air blower
View attachment 1214144
Where can I find these?
having restored a handful of razors now........yes I oil pins after each use.

I have seen and fixed the effects of long term corrosion in that area. its horrible even on some you would have thought to been okay.

camo
Yes, I mostly have stainless razors.Even on stainless steel I’ve seen the pinch pin where it starts accrued and create a negative affect on the blade and also the hinge itself.I just included three carbon steel razors in my collection that are Damascus and one that’s a piece that’s almost 2 centuries old. I don’t wanna take any chances on letting that corrosion buildup in those hinge points.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I cant say I’ve given much attention in this area. I clean and dry the razor to the best of my ability using a soft hand towel after every use.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Yes, bicycle chain wax. Make sure to get a wax product. It lubricates and repels water. But if you’re getting water in the pivot while shaving, you’re doing it wrong.

Well, maybe it’s just me and a few others. I don’t see how it’s an unavoidable thing, being the fact you’re wet shaving and if hone your own razors and never get water in the pivot pin. Yeah, I never had those super powers. 😏

I think it will depend a lot on the environment it which you keep your SR's. I live on a small tropical island. I have always kept my SR's oiled or petroleum jellied between used but never actually oiled the hinge pin area. After over a year, all is still good.

That being said, I recently ordered a 30 litre automatic Andbon dry box (USD 85) from a camera store in Manila in which to store my SR's (I blame @Tomo for this). Hopefully this will arrive within a week or so. I don't have expensive SR's (USD 20 to 200 each) but I do have over 40.

I live on coast of Florida and will be traveling to Belize this summer for possible residency. So I try to be conscientious about making sure that I protect the most Susceptible placed in the razor that collects moisture. I’ve seen even stainless straights razors have this issues over time.

Last edited:
I don't get to crazy with this but I have oiled pivots during reassembly after a restoration.
I have had a razor or two develop rust in the pivot areas during post restoration use. Nobody died, I just re-restored them.
It's a bathroom, water exists. Sometimes wet shaving gets wetter than expected. Being proactive following a mishap might be advisable but at the same time I don't like to fuss too much.

I never thought about this, but I do get water in the pivot area when shaving (I dry after shaving by running a wedge of tissue paper through the area). I talked to my brother and he says he NEVER gets any water near that area when shaving. I'm going to have to pay attention and see why I'm getting that part of the razor wet.

I never thought about this, but I do get water in the pivot area when shaving (I dry after shaving by running a wedge of tissue paper through the area). I talked to my brother and he says he NEVER gets any water near that area when shaving. I'm going to have to pay attention and see why I'm getting that part of the razor wet.
As man approaching the half century mark and straight razor shaving since I was 17 year old. I’m embarrassed to say the same. For most part I’ve use stainless straight razors. My first razor was a Dovo mother of pearl stainless straight razor I bought from a guys in Miami. Wish I still had that razor. Now I purchased some pretty rare carbon blades and plan on using them. Thanks gentlemen for your input. Even an old dog can learn some new tricks. 🙂

Top Bottom