What's new

Do any of you own stationary bikes?

I am looking to purchase one, but am not sure where to start. Any advice would be appreciated :001_smile

For the sake of this thread, let us assume that riding a "real" bike, running, joining a gym that has bikes, etc. are not options.

EDIT: It should be recumbent.

Last edited:
Are you looking for a spin bike? A recumbent? Budget? Your biking experience?

More information will help us narrow down choices.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
SWMBO and I go riding about once a fortnight, so mine just stays in the garage most of the time. Does that qualify as "stationary"?

Are you looking for a spin bike? A recumbent? Budget? Your biking experience?

More information will help us narrow down choices.

Good point. It should be recumbent. I edited that into my original post. I would like to keep this below $1,000. I do not need anything fancy, just something that does the job, monitors some basics, such as calories burned and heart rate, and is built well. I do not needs fans, MP3 player options, etc. I am not an avid biker- just someone looking to work some cardio into his routine.

SWMBO and I go riding about once a fortnight, so mine just stays in the garage most of the time. Does that qualify as "stationary"?

:lol: Maybe :biggrin:

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I use a Schwinn 213 recumbent exercise bike that I picked up several years ago. Though this model has been discontinued, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Schwinn. It has worked well for me and does what I want it to. I use it 3 to 6 days a week while I watch TV. It keeps me from using a lot of excuses to myself, i.e. ... too hot, cold, humid, snowy, rainy, icy.... :001_rolle

$Exercise Room.jpg

It looks like there are still some available at overstock.com but I wouldn't spend that much for a discontinued model. You can get the new 270 model for the same price at Amazon with free shipping. :blink:

Here are some recumbent exercise bike reviews for you.

http://www.bestfitnessadvisor.com/recumbent-bike-reviews/

http://www.comparing.guru/pages/nsearch?seedid=11&origin=google&gclid=CMv_5ZuZ678CFQ5gMgodCTgAzg

I use a Schwinn 213 recumbent exercise bike that I picked up several years ago. Though this model has been discontinued, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Schwinn. It has worked well for me and does what I want it to. I use it 3 to 6 days a week while I watch TV. It keeps me from using a lot of excuses to myself, i.e. ... too hot, cold, humid, snowy, rainy, icy.... :001_rolle

It looks like there are still some available at overstock.com but I wouldn't spend that much for a discontinued model. You can get the new 270 model for the same price at Amazon with free shipping. :blink:

http://www.comparing.guru/pages/nsearch?seedid=11&origin=google&gclid=CMv_5ZuZ678CFQ5gMgodCTgAzg

Ohhh, nice. Which bench is that?

I am looking to purchase one, but am not sure where to start. Any advice would be appreciated :001_smile

For the sake of this thread, let us assume that riding a "real" bike, running, joining a gym that has bikes, etc. are not options.

EDIT: It should be recumbent.

Such a shame, because Charlotte has some really nice single track too.

View attachment 477966

I've had my 213 for almost 7 years now. Gets used fairly regularly, still looks and works great.

I personally love my Nautilus R514 (also discontinued apparently) but my best advice is to actually go into place that has some bikes setup that you can actually try. I know I wanted something that was easy to change the position of the seat (both my husband and I use it and he is a few inches taller than me) but remained stable. I wanted something that could be moved easily as we have a small living room and I prefer to be able to move the bike (which I do with one arm).

So in truth you need to figure out what price range you want to stay within, what options are most important to you. Are you going to be the only one using it (if sharing then how easy is it to change the seat location)? Are you going to be moving the bike around like I do? What options do you want (like heart rate monitoring)? Do you want a bike computer with a bunch of pre-set programs? Does it matter how easy the bike computer is to use?

I did a lot of research before I stepped foot in the store but when I actually sat in the bike I thought I wanted I realized it just wasn't comfy enough and was a bit of an issue to get in and out of that I was able to figure out what model I actually wanted.

Yep, I own a cheaper (not too cheap) upright stationary bike I got from sears some 5 years ago I think. I can attribute it to about half of the 30lbs I have lost this year, as it kick started my healthier lifestyle I've now fully adopted. I've used it every year, however, to get ready for spring cycling, and it always worked for that.

I also own REAL bicycles, and of course, prefer them. 30 minutes on the exercise bike is about all I can take, but I can ride 2-3 hours no problem on a real bike (with a 5 min break on occasion). Once I get my own house, I think I will invest in a decent, used, spin bike. Had I some foresight years ago, I would have gotten a spin bike from the start...

Top Bottom