What's new

Do all Wholly Kaw soaps smell like baby powder?

I bought a tub of Wholly Kaw Monaco Royale. It's a good soap with an okay scent that I'm not 100% sold on. What I like least about the soap is that there is an underlying smell of baby powder.

A long time ago I had collected many soaps from SCS. I liked the soaps a lot, but found they all had the same baby powder smell mixed in with the scents. The creams did not have that smell. This lead me to believe there was something in the soap base that smelled like baby powder and oils were added afterwards to give it the desired scent profile.

Monaco Royale was my first Wholly Kaw soap. Has anyone else picked up on that powder scent? Is it in all their soaps?

Thanks

Yep, it performs well but it does smell like baby powder. My B&M Seville soap gets some good reviews
on the scent but to me it smells like generic laundry soap. Both soaps give me a great shave but I'm
disappointed in the scents.

@McNutt I have tried probably 8-9 of them. Some indeed are powdery. Others that aren’t, to my nose, are king of Oud, king of bourbon, and Fougere Bouquet. The latter is one of my all time favorite Fougere scents if not one of my favorite scents in all of shaving.

I had a Bare Naked a couple of years ago have that powdery smell. I don’t like that smell first of all but in buying an unscented product I expect it to have no smell at all. Especially when it’s a fragrance type smell and not the smell of just the soap components. I am sensitive to fragrance components. I have unscented Siero that just showed up that is completely void of any scent.

Simple answer is no, not in my opinion. Agree with johnwick . I would go to the WK website and send them an email and seek advice. They provide excellent customer service. I would then order some samples. I agree the performance is excellent. They have also just introduced a new base, Siero, in addition to the current Donkey Milk and Bufala base's Good luck !

@McNutt I have tried probably 8-9 of them. Some indeed are powdery. Others that aren’t, to my nose, are king of Oud, king of bourbon, and Fougere Bouquet. The latter is one of my all time favorite Fougere scents if not one of my favorite scents in all of shaving.

I've noticed this as well, though the only two WK offerings I've tried we're King of Oud and Fougere Bouquet. Neither of them reminded me of baby powder.

Wholly Kaw has a wide variety of scent profiles. I had a sample of Monaco Royale, but never ordered the full tub as I preferred other scents.

The one scent I could not abide was Spice Vitae. Even though the soap was one of the more expensive soaps in my collection and the performance of the Bufala base was wonderful, I added the soap to the PIF table at the Maggard Meet-up.

On the other hand King of Oud is described by many to be a masterpiece scent. I also love the Sandhurst scent.

I have on order a tub of the Fougere Mania scent in the new Siero formula, but as a fougere, it will probably have a powdery scent.

I've never used this specific soap but there are definitely brands that have an unavoidable across the board soap smell. Valobra hard soap has been available in a number of brands and fragrances over the years and there's always that clay smell underneath the scent. I actually kinda like that one so it's no prob for me, but If you didn't I could see sort of ruining those soaps for you.

Top Bottom