What's new

Do aftershave balms expire or go bad

I was asking this because I was at a beauty supply store and they had an old bottle of C&E Nomad AS balm. The bottle looked old and it was sticky. The liquid inside didn't look right either. It was still like $32 for the bottle which I didn't buy.

The other reason I'm asking is because my mother saw that I had several bottles of AS Balm and she told me not buy a lot at once because they go bad or expire and could cause an infection or irritate the skin.

Anyone here have an aftershave go bad or change different colors or get irritation?

All feedback welcome.

I have never had one go bad but a couple have separated into 2 layers. After I shook them up them seemed fine. Storage is the key; keep them in a cool dark place. Ideally, you could keep them in your refrigerator.

I too have never had one go bad. I suspect that even separation is the exception as opposed to the rule.

There must be some time limit, but I would assume it is in decades and not just years. Hopefully a shake will reconstitute the balm for you. Also, would depend on conditions under which it was stored with cooler and no direct sunlight would be better.

Ah! That's the word I was looking for. Separation. That's what I saw at the beauty supply store with the C&E Nomad. It was separated and looked weird. But the bottle was very sticky too.

I have many old balms that are just fine. I've also had some go noticeably rancid. They didn't function any worse, necessarily, but they started smelling bad. Usually, those were ones made with natural ingredients and few preservatives. I also have a bottle of old-formula Harris a/s milk that has separated, but shakes up just fine, and is still totally useable. In other words, there is no hard, fast rule. Balms can go bad, but if my experience is any indication, they're the exception, rather than the norm.

In the case of the C&E balm, that stuff is so full of chemicals, I'm surprised it's showing its age. However, retail stores are often quite warm and brightly lit, and usually aren't the best places to store stock long term. If the bottle has been there for a while, it probably is the best candidate for being a balm that has been adversely affected by age.

Thanks jerry good info. The C&E balm is also in a box that doesn't look good either. It's torn a bit and dirty like it's been touched a lot.

I think since the store is more focused on female items, the mens stuff just kind of sits there. I did notice a lot of males buying Pomades there but not balms or shaving gear.

I have decades old balms that are fine. But it all depends on how they were kept.

Regarding what you saw in the store, it's questionable that they should be selling it. All cosmetics have an expiration date, and even though they don't really "expire" like food does, they should still be pulled from the shelf. Definitely check for a date on it.

Top Bottom