What's new

Do after shaves expire?

2½ years ago in college, I bought a tube of Pacific Shaving Company's Caffeinated after shave. I didn't care for it at the time because I prefer splash ons and didn't like the loitiony feel of balms like this, but the scent was amazing.

This is my first week of DE Shaving and the burn from Aqua Velva was intense - especially after the first shave. Normally I get a warm tingle which is somewhat pleasant. But especially the first day the Aqua Velva made me feel like I shoved my face under a slap chop.

So I used the PSC's after shave which had a cooking effect.

But it's 2½ yrs old. Do I need to toss it and buy new?

Sounds like a rough shave. Skin seems tender.

I would say no to the aftershave expiring as I have some that are decades old and don't cause what you're experiencing, at least not to me. The only exception I would add is if it was a balm, they do seem to expire but, depending on the brand, may do so only after a long time. Had a balm that was my father's and it took decades to go off. Other's may not last so long.

Aqua Velva is alcohol based so it would probably be good for decades. If you get irritation from an alcohol based aftershave then it's most likely a bad shave - too close and too much skin removed.

Hope that helps.

Chris

It should be fine! Perhaps you could try a balm since you’re just getting into DE shaving? It will be better for your tender face. I would recommend Nivea. It’s widely available at big box stores and won’t break the bank. As your shaves improve you could jump back to the AV and see if it’s less of a jolt!

It should be fine! Perhaps you could try a balm since you’re just getting into DE shaving? It will be better for your tender face. I would recommend Nivea. It’s widely available at big box stores and won’t break the bank. As your shaves improve you could jump back to the AV and see if it’s less of a jolt!
Funny I never considered my face tender!

My last razor was the bamboo wooden handle with give blades.

Before that I used the Bic Hybrid Comfort 3 Razor and blades.

Earlier still I used the Gillette Fusion Power vibrating razor.

It was only when I first started shaving and when I first started DE Shaving that Aqua Velva caused a sting.

The reason I started with a DE Is because I'm in the Navy and will soon be asea for 6½ months. On my last deployment someone swiped my stash of Bic Hybrid razors, and for about 6 or 7 weeks I had to use the Gillette Good News disposables available from the ship's store until I went ashore in England and picked up the bulldog razor and enough blades to make it home.

What I wanted was a cheap razor and blades that would be more or less theft proof and would shave close enough not to catch crap when my 5:00 shadow became noticable by some CPO who never met a regulation he didn't turn into some sort of weird fetish

And I think I found it though it takes two passes and doesn't get me as close as over from the Bulldog, and isn't as comfortable.

Shaving for me is a necessity, not a hobby, and, if I could, I'd go back to wearing a beard and timing it once a week with my Gillette Pro 3-in-1n styler.

2½ years ago in college, I bought a tube of Pacific Shaving Company's Caffeinated after shave. I didn't care for it at the time because I prefer splash ons and didn't like the loitiony feel of balms like this, but the scent was amazing.

This is my first week of DE Shaving and the burn from Aqua Velva was intense - especially after the first shave. Normally I get a warm tingle which is somewhat pleasant. But especially the first day the Aqua Velva made me feel like I shoved my face under a slap chop.

That's 'cause you did, sad to say.

So I used the PSC's after shave which had a cooking effect.

But it's 2½ yrs old. Do I need to toss it and buy new?

I doubt it will kill you but I tend to toss things like that left unrefrigerated that long, especially as it has relatively few stabilizers or preservatives and it has no alcohol. The main ingredient is also aloe, which does eventually spoil. I do tend to keep stuff like that in the fridge if I'm not regularly using it, though.

I'd recommend something like Afta. It will burn if you have a rough shave, but it's more moisturizing and it holds up well to storage. I've even used alcohol-based balms that are decades old and they are still good to go.

Some guys seem to hit it off love at first light with a DE, others don't. I was a DE washout in the past, I ended up using a Gillette Guard or Bic disposable for years... and would bring out the Sensor only when I needed an especially close shave. The good thing is there's plenty of other ways to shave. If you are in the military, that's an especially demanding environment for shaving, since in this beard-friendly age it's one of the few environments left where stubble is a no-no.

I was gifted an aftershave which had expired in 2013. Still smells strong, now I don't know how it smelled before its expiration but I doubt it could be any better than it is today :)

All my aftershaves are vintage from the 1970s and 1980s, such as Avon Wild Country, Avon Spicy, English Leather, and Old Spice. All from the original manufacturers. They're all great and have their classic scents. You'll be fine.

Should be fine, maybe the scent is weakened a bit. I used some Avon Deep Woods some time ago and it seemed as I remembered it. That stuff was from the 70's.

Should be fine, maybe the scent is weakened a bit. I used some Avon Deep Woods some time ago and it seemed as I remembered it. That stuff was from the 70's.

Sorry about the thread drift. What's the scent of the Avon Deep Woods? I'm looking to add one more vintage AS to my rotation, and this one sounds interesting.

Sorry about the thread drift. What's the scent of the Avon Deep Woods? I'm looking to add one more vintage AS to my rotation, and this one sounds interesting.
By coincidence, I used some Deep Woods today. Avon Deep Woods is one of my vintage faves. A bit green, some patchouli and spice, and some smokiness too. If you are familiar with Quorum cologne, it is in that range, but milder. Go get you some; good stuff. Avon had a mess of great aftershaves decades ago. My favorites are Spicy, Oland, Leather, Deep Woods and Everest. Even the artisans today don't offer much similar to vintage Avon.

By coincidence, I used some Deep Woods today. Avon Deep Woods is one of my vintage faves. A bit green, some patchouli and spice, and some smokiness too. If you are familiar with Quorum cologne, it is in that range, but milder. Go get you some; good stuff. Avon had a mess of great aftershaves decades ago. My favorites are Spicy, Oland, Leather, Deep Woods and Everest. Even the artisans today don't offer much similar to vintage Avon.

Thanks! I'm going to try to score some Deep Woods and Leather at the least. I already use Wild Country and Spicy and like them both.

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Quoted for truth! Deep Woods is among the best.

AA

I am in the ‘should be fine camp.’ That is so long as it smells OK and does not have green stuff growing in the bottle. I have used decades-old AS and enjoyed them!

Water first ingredient? 2+ yr old? mmm - I'd toss it.
Try splashing your face with very cold water right after you shave, maybe a couple few times. It'll take some/alot/most of the sting out of the AV.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Does the packaging indicate how long it's good for use with one of these symbols?

proxy.php

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am in the ‘should be fine camp.’ That is so long as it smells OK and does not have green stuff growing in the bottle. I have used decades-old AS and enjoyed them!
If BigJ says it's ok, it's ok. Lol, I think this young man is long gone out to sea, I hope checks back in when he can!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The truth is this...

All really good aftershaves, splashes, and colognes expire. The time to their expiration date is inversely related to their initial cost. I know that sounds weird because it boils down to meaning the cheaper stuff lasts much longer. For instance, anything costing more than $35 and older than a year is probably on its very last legs. More than $50, and older than nine months, well, don't chance using that stuff.

Remember: You have only one face!

1570726289202.png

Fortunately I offer a free service to all members of B&B. Send me your expired aftershaves, colognes, and splashes. I will dispose of them without charge to you. As you know, there are numerous federal and international obstacles to this disposal. Don't worry. I'm a professional at this and I will take care of all the hassles and paperwork thus freeing you to do important things with your time.

When in doubt about an expiration date send me a photo or two of the label. I'll get back with you with all instructions so you can safely handle the toxic materials as you prepare them for shipping to my free disposal service.

Happy shaves,

Jim

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The truth is this...

All really good aftershaves, splashes, and colognes expire. The time to their expiration date is inversely related to their initial cost. I know that sounds weird because it boils down to meaning the cheaper stuff lasts much longer. For instance, anything costing more than $35 and older than a year is probably on its very last legs. More than $50, and older than nine months, well, don't chance using that stuff.

Remember: You have only one face!

View attachment 1024725

Fortunately I offer a free service to all members of B&B. Send me your expired aftershaves, colognes, and splashes. I will dispose of them without charge to you. As you know, there are numerous federal and international obstacles to this disposal. Don't worry. I'm a professional at this and I will take care of all the hassles and paperwork thus freeing you to do important things with your time.

When in doubt about an expiration date send me a photo or two of the label. I'll get back with you with all instructions so you can safely handle the toxic materials as you prepare them for shipping to my free disposal service.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I always knew you were smart, but selfless as well? Man, you are my hero!!!

I have even used vintage aftershave balms that were alcohol-based. There was no separation despite the fact they dated from the 1980's.

Top Bottom