What's new

DMT vs Atoma

I purchased a couple of stones and now all I need to do to get started is lap them flat. Been looking into lapping plates. Here in Canada for the most part the DMT 325 and Atoma 400 are not priced that far apart (roughly $30-40). I was set on the DMT but wondering if it is better to get an Atoma. Also I heard the Atoma plates cut a lot faster than the DMT, and that the grit is coarser than equivalent DMT plates. For lapping 4k+ stones am I better getting an Atoma 400 or 1200? or DMT 325 or 600?

Also just an aside, I purchased a Norton 220 grit for some knife sharpening, how do I lap a stone with that low of a grit? I can't seem to find wet/dry sandpaper under 400 grit anywhere, would that work?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I use my Atoma 400 for lapping everything over 1K. I've had a DMT-325 and found the stones stuck to it too much, not so with the Atoma. Home Hardware or the Homey Depot should have 50-120 grit sandpaper for your Norton-220.

I got an Atoma 600 off Amazon for a real good price and is great for me. I don't have any experience with the others. Wet dry from auto store or hardware store work great too. You can go real high with wet dry like 3K if you want not needed though.

i had a dmt325 and noticed the same issue as mentioned above, stones really stuck alot to it when lapping, and the dmt 325 felt noticeably coarser than the atoma 400.

the biggest reason i prefer the atoma 400 over the dmt though is that it lasts WAY longer, with the dmt it was dead after 1 really hard jnat, literally no diamonds. ive lapped plenty of hard stones on my atoma 400 and its still going strong. its noticeably slower yes but it doesnt make noticeable scratches anymore in a naniwa 12k.

loved the atoma 400 so much i bought a second fresh one for setting bevels/fixing razors with major issues. just like its twin, it doesnt shed diamonds noticeably like the dmt and after a few months using it only for razors(not crazy hard stones) its just as fast as the day i got it. to me DMT's arent even in the same hemisphere. i could tell you YMMV, but id rather give it to you straight.

I purchased an Atoma 400 then purchased the 1200 replacement plate and stuck it to the opposite side so basically have two lapping plates, I have been very happy with the Atoma for lapping my Shaptons as well as JNATS

Appreciate all the feedback, looks like Atoma is the way to go. Anyone else feel free to chime in with their experiences with these 2 plates.

I use my Atoma 400 for lapping everything over 1K. I've had a DMT-325 and found the stones stuck to it too much, not so with the Atoma. Home Hardware or the Homey Depot should have 50-120 grit sandpaper for your Norton-220.

Does it need to be wet/dry? Or just regular sandpaper is fine?

I use the Atomas for lapping everything, regardless of grit including my 180x Nubatama. To me - they're tools. They will wear. That's part of life.
I use the 140x for heavy work, 400x for finer work. Also have the 1200x.

I used DMTs for a long while, the duo-fine plates mostly - the interrupted surface eliminates that stone-stuck-to-plate syndrome. They're good plates, they work well and the 10x4 size is really nice. But the Atomas seem, to me, to be longer lasting and more efficient.

Top Bottom