What's new

DMT DuoSharp/DiaSharp?

I see some Duosharp hones for sale in B/S/T. Can they be used for straight razor honing also?

Yes. Of course there are a number of grit available, some of which are too coarse for razors.

Can you post a link to the sale?

Last edited:
I have the interrupted one in the 1200 grit, and continuous for the 8k. For me it was an economy choice, but I am happy with the results. I don't feel like I am compromising quality for the cost.

Haha. Your the one selling them. Thanks for the info. I didn't know if the straight would get hung up on the interrupted suface or not.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=151206

I figured, but Chris was also selling sold a duosharp recently. The one he was selling was a 325/600, which unless you're lapping hones or removing chips from ebay specials isn't terribly useful.

The 80th anniversay set comes with a 600, 1.2k, and 8k. You can set bevels with the 1.2k and then jump right to the 8k to finish. The 8k cuts fast enough to make such a big leap. I only used the 600 once to remove some chips from a blade.

Ok, your saying I could set the bevel with the 1200, polish with the 8000 and then strop with the TM CrOx strop? All this for 75.00? I want to get into honing and this sounds like a great way to do it. Would you say this is a good beginner set?

You'd need a plain leather (unpasted) strop as well.

Otherwise, yeah it'd be a nice beginner set for someone looking to buy some vintage razors and hone them himself.

I have a SRD red Latigo strop I use for my stropping right now. Seems like a good deal. I had thought about going the Norton 4k/8k route but i'll have to give this some consideration.

This is pretty much my setup without the 600 grit. I would jump on this in a heartbeat if I didn't already have it. I have been very happy with my DMT's. It's a bit funny that there aren't more people using them considering how easy they are. You never have to lap them. No soaking, you use a little water on them and you're ready to go. They are fast, and in the end (especially this set) fairly cheap.

I have to admit that I also have a barber hone that I do about ten passes on before I hit the CrOx, but next time I hone I think I'll try going straight to the CrOx and see how it feels.

The one he was selling was a 325/600, which unless you're lapping hones or removing chips from ebay specials isn't terribly useful.

I beg to differ. It is an excellent bevel setter. A few laps on this hone are way better than many laps on a finer hone when setting bevel.

I beg to differ. It is an excellent bevel setter. A few laps on this hone are way better than many laps on a finer hone when setting bevel.

Fair enough :thumbup1: What I was really attempting to say is the 325/600 is pretty coarse, so you will need something finer if you plan to shave with the blade.

I've not actually used the DuoSharps for the straights, but I'd be quite concerned with spike point razors and those holes.

I'm sure with a round point they're entirely fine, just much less popular than the DiaSharps.

Top Bottom