What's new

DMT 8k as first hone?

Hey all,
Looking at purchasing a hone.
While the traditional standard for a first hone is of course the Norton, I'm intrigued by Joel's review of the DMT in his 8-way comparison.
I can get the DMT shipped to my door for just about 50 bucks even, or I can drive to Lee Valley and pick up the Norton for about 80 (plus another 5 for gas....)

Obviously the DMT is the more attractive choice here, especially since I can use that 30 bucks towards a stone or strop+paste for finer finishing. And it's my understanding that the DMT doesn't require honing, which is also a bonus.

What I'm wondering is if the DMT could work any razor that the Norton could.
That is to say, are there considerations other than the speed that might make the 4k side of the Norton better in some circumstances?

Lee Valley also sells a 4k Japanese stone for 25 bucks that could be another option, the advantages in my mind being that the DMT could be used to lap the 4k.

Anyhow, anybody have experience with these stones?

Hey all,
Looking at purchasing a hone.
While the traditional standard for a first hone is of course the Norton, I'm intrigued by Joel's review of the DMT in his 8-way comparison.
I can get the DMT shipped to my door for just about 50 bucks even, or I can drive to Lee Valley and pick up the Norton for about 80 (plus another 5 for gas....)

Obviously the DMT is the more attractive choice here, especially since I can use that 30 bucks towards a stone or strop+paste for finer finishing. And it's my understanding that the DMT doesn't require honing, which is also a bonus.

What I'm wondering is if the DMT could work any razor that the Norton could.
That is to say, are there considerations other than the speed that might make the 4k side of the Norton better in some circumstances?

Lee Valley also sells a 4k Japanese stone for 25 bucks that could be another option, the advantages in my mind being that the DMT could be used to lap the 4k.

Anyhow, anybody have experience with these stones?

Well - you already know how I feel, so I'll save your eyes some reading, but what I do want to mention is you probably cannot use the Extra Extra Fine DMT 8K (3 micron) for lapping stones. If it weren't for the text on the side of the hone (clueing you as to which side was "up") you probably wouldn't know which side had the abrasive diamond coating, as it is that incredibly fine. With that in mind, using it to lap a stone would probably be a waste of time.

I haven't honed any razors yet but used mine to give a few strokes on my Spyderco UF. It didn't have much effect on the Spyderco but smoothed out the little burs that came on the new DMT. They recommend breaking in your new DMT and to me they need it. Mine is now smooth as glass and ready for honing my razors.

bj

I hadn't thought about an 8k actually being too fine, but I can certainly see the case.
I'm still in the automotive world where 1200 wetsanding paper is ridiculously fine :D
Think I'll pick up the 8k though, and see where to go from there.
Thanks!

Where can you get the DMT 8k shipped to your door for $50? I'm in the market and would jump on that deal.

Top Bottom