What's new

DIY Vinyl Plank Flooring

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It’s happening! The bedroom we started in smelled like smoke, so the carpet got ripped up and floors, walls, and ceiling all got primed. Ceiling and walls were painted and then we laid out chalk line in the hallway and worked off of that. So far so good (other than the soreness).
View attachment 1034080View attachment 1034081
I really appreciate this thread! I'll someday post a pic or two of our someday mudroom.

It’s happening! The bedroom we started in smelled like smoke, so the carpet got ripped up and floors, walls, and ceiling all got primed. Ceiling and walls were painted and then we laid out chalk line in the hallway and worked off of that. So far so good (other than the soreness).

Nice job. We are getting ready to install 16 x 32 vinyl tiles in our bathrooms and laundry room. Unfortunately, my knees no longer allow me to get down in the floor to do the work myself. Unlike your mostly rectangular rooms, bathrooms have a lot of cutouts, making the installation much more difficult.

Nice job. We are getting ready to install 16 x 32 vinyl tiles in our bathrooms and laundry room. Unfortunately, my knees no longer allow me to get down in the floor to do the work myself. Unlike your mostly rectangular rooms, bathrooms have a lot of cutouts, making the installation much more difficult.

Keep me posted on how it goes! One of our two bathrooms has linoleum so I am lobbying to replace that as well.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Nice job and a nice floor.

Its much easier with two people. That way the one laying the floor doesnt have to get up all the time. Nothing like doing 5 or 6 hours of squats to stiffen you up for a few days lol.

FarmerTan

Nice job and a nice floor.

Its much easier with two people. That way the one laying the floor doesnt have to get up all the time. Nothing like doing 5 or 6 hours of squats to stiffen you up for a few days lol.
Man, no kidding! I never would have thought of that.

The question is: me or the lovely War Department doing the floor work? I'm lazy, so I want the easiest job.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Man, no kidding! I never would have thought of that.

The question is: me or the lovely War Department doing the floor work? I'm lazy, so I want the easiest job.

You would have after, believe me lol.

Being the gofer is usually easier, but doing flooring its a toss up. Those boxes get heavy when you have to lift enough of them.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I should have added that vinyl plank flooring is easier that way than laminate or wood flooring. You dont even need to get up to go to the saw, which is usually outside, just to make a simple cut. You can do it right there on the floor with no mess.

You'd be surprised how many trips you need to make to the saw when doing a floor with laminate, not to mention laminate flooring kills saw blades dead, quickly.

FarmerTan

I should have added that vinyl plank flooring is easier that way than laminate or wood flooring. You dont even need to get up to go to the saw, which is usually outside, just to make a simple cut. You can do it right there on the floor with no mess.

You'd be surprised how many trips you need to make to the saw when doing a floor with laminate, not to mention laminate flooring kills saw blades dead, quickly.
So, would you recommend the vinyl plank stuff in residential use? Money is kind of an object, depending upon how long a certain wealthy great Unkle lives, lol.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
So, would you recommend the vinyl plank stuff in residential use? Money is kind of an object, depending upon how long a certain wealthy great Unkle lives, lol.

After using vinyl plank in one of my bathrooms, I recommend it everywhere. The only thing that wears better is concrete and when done properly its 100% waterproof wall to wall.

Its easy to work with. You dont need a saw to cut it, just score with a knife and snap. There are no locks to fight with or damage, it uses glue strips. The grey on the edges.

how-to-install-vinyl-plank-flooring-step-7.jpg

You need a 4" steel roller to set the glue joints and they need to be set firmly or they can relax as the glue cures. Lean on that roller.

It doesnt need under pad, although you can use it, and can be laid over pretty much anything thats flat. It goes down at least twice as quickly as laminate. Its also not as thick as laminate so joints at door ways and such are easier to cover.

Its generally less expensive than laminate too. Buy it on sale and buy enough to do the job plus one extra box for backup if you might make a mistake or two from the same pallet or lot.

Vinyl Plank Flooring - Vinyl Flooring & Resilient Flooring - The Home Depot - https://www.homedepot.com/b/Flooring-Vinyl-Flooring-Resilient-Flooring-Vinyl-Plank-Flooring/N-5yc1vZbzjz

Mine, a Brazilian Walnut, was on sale for $18 and change a box.

IMG_3157.JPG

The white glue line, which is actually blue but shows white from the flash, is the result of not using a roller. The joint was tight when I laid it but as the glue cured, it relaxed and separated slightly. It's not as visible as it appears, the camera flash shows everything, and I'm the only one that notices it but you're better off learning from someones elses mistakes haha.

Its also textured and not slippery, even when wet.

I agree with @Esox if I have the time and funds I would like to continue the vinyl plank throughout the entire house. The biggest benefit of vinyl over laminate is that it is waterproof. Completely waterproof meaning it can be used in bathrooms and kitchens without the risk of laminate. The Mannington Adura Max I am using is click and lock, so no glue needed except in tight areas around the walls and door frames. Price point is a little higher than some of the thinner vinyls.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've seen but not used the click and lock vinyl. I think they're moving away from glue strips because of the issue I had of the joints relaxing.

Some laminates are pretty tough too. I did a friends bedroom a few years ago with some cheap stuff. 8mm Maple for $16 a box, just over 20sq ft per box.

The cut off and scrap pieces were just tossed in a garbage can in his driveway. I was over again the next spring and they were still there, exposed to the weather all winter. I could still lock the pieces together and none were warped. The surface finish had flaked and peeled though.

Top Bottom