What's new

DIY strop canvas material?

Dear All,

i am trying to knock up a homemade strop, i have a strip of cowhide already, i would live to add a canvas component to it.

trying to find the correct material is difficult, what weight etc should i be looking for? Not all canvas/cotton/linen/hemp is the same, they come in all different designs and weights.

would layered jeans be just as effective?

i had TM Heirloom once, i liked the rough draw on the linen, what would i be looking for to replicate that?

advice much appreciated,

Danny

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
A few months ago, I cut a 5" wide piece of denim from the leg of an old pair of jeans; drew a center line; ironed on low heat to build in a crease; and loosely stitched it together.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thats great,Do you still go on to the leather after?How do you feel the jeans compare to shop bought strop canvas?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
My leather strop died (for the last time:tongue_sm) in January. I go back and forth between the denim and a homemade suede paddle strop. For me, it's an either/or stropping; I don't use them as a progression.

I also have a pasted cotton strop, but it doesn't get any use at all. The paddle and the denim both do a well enough job, but eventually I will get a normal strop once again.

My leather strop died (for the last time:tongue_sm) in January. I go back and forth between the denim and a homemade suede paddle strop. For me, it's an either/or stropping; I don't use them as a progression.

I also have a pasted cotton strop, but it doesn't get any use at all. The paddle and the denim both do a well enough job, but eventually I will get a normal strop once again.

That's very interesting that you get similiar results from jeans only!
maybe thats all we need?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Well, I'm an idiot and seem to be doing very satisfied my my subpar edges. I advise people (at work too!) not to try to emulate me. :lol:

Thats great,Do you still go on to the leather after?How do you feel the jeans compare to shop bought strop canvas?
I made a denim strop very similar to rockviper's when I started using a straight. I also made a linen strop using fabric store linen and the same technique (left) and a hemp strop (right). I PIFed the linen to a newbie and the hemp has been my go to fabric strop for over a year. The hemp webbing is 2.5" and came from Hemp Basics. It was unusable as supplied IMO but after conditioning it is a very good and effective strop. I'll try to find a link to the thread describing my conditioning treatment. I still have the denim but I felt it was pretty ineffective in comparison to both the linen and hemp. It would be fine for paste as are cheap boy scout type belts . I always use leather or shell in conjunction with my fabric strops.
$DSCN0712.jpg

Last edited:
Dear All,

i am trying to knock up a homemade strop, i have a strip of cowhide already, i would live to add a canvas component to it.

trying to find the correct material is difficult, what weight etc should i be looking for? Not all canvas/cotton/linen/hemp is the same, they come in all different designs and weights.

would layered jeans be just as effective?

i had TM Heirloom once, i liked the rough draw on the linen, what would i be looking for to replicate that?

advice much appreciated,

Danny
I just got a piece of old firehose on Ebay sold by the foot

So to piggy back on the OP a little bit:

I'm just getting ready to take a swing at using a straight and having a local razor maker hone up a vintage novelty for me.

I've got a large(ish) piece of hide from another project. What prevents me from just getting a can of 3M spray adhesive and glueing it down to a board or strip of granite? Do I need the padding under it or is a thickish piece of leather sufficient?

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…

I'm just getting ready to take a swing at using a straight and having a local razor maker hone up a vintage novelty for me.

I've got a large(ish) piece of hide from another project. What prevents me from just getting a can of 3M spray adhesive and glueing it down to a board or strip of granite? Do I need the padding under it or is a thickish piece of leather sufficient?

I would glue it down just as it is. Firm and flat are what you want. Too much give can tend to convex an edge. In the knife world though many guys prefer a convex and will ;purposely sharpen on a softer substrate.

FYI, you you don't know, tony miller is QUITE knowledgeable about strops. Considering that he makes strops that are extremely well regarded, i would say you got quite a great Responder!

I'm mount it on wood. No stone it may chip your blade just be careful

Top Bottom