What's new

DIY Smoker?

Has anybody here ever built a homemade smoker by chance? Im thinking about getting into smoking but figured building one may be a better option than buying one.

Thoughts?

If you Google "Ugly Drum Smoker" you will be rewarded with a massive amount of information, this is a very well tested and easy to make smoker.

Keep us posted!

I looked into this some time ago. Search for making a smoker out of 2 large clay pots. Very easy project & much cheaper than buying a BIG GREEN EGG!
Yes that is my smoker of choice. Just have to justify the $1700.00 price tag.
Make your own for under $100 using the clay pots.

If you have a Weber, you can also set that up as a charcoal smoker. Look up the "Good Eats" episode about smoking for info on it. The thing you will really need is a good digital thermometer.

Alton Brown of "Good Eats" has made 3 smokers with products costing less than $50. I have made 2 of them for use and they work.

I love the alton brown smokers. gotta remember, hundred of years ago they didn't have big green eggs AND smoking/curing was the only way of storing meat.
Kinda makes me want to go build a shed out back and do a really good job of sealing it up inside and use it as a large scale smoker.

I'm buried somewhere in that monster thread from the BBQ-Brethren site. I built 15 of them for co-workers and a couple family members until my source for clean barrels dried up. Each one ran me a little over $100 including the barrel back in 2009.

I am a little surprised ( I'm not sure why, though ) about how many of our members are also on the brethren.

I taught myself to weld making mine mostly from scrap pipe and plate. 550-pounds at the moment but I still have a few ideas...

$tom and BBQ 2 10-21-06.jpg

$Toms BBQ 2010.jpg

You can do it cheaper and your way if you have the time. (I still have a pile of scrap waiting for the time...)

Tom

Last edited:
If you're looking for something garage-storable (size wise), there are plans online for a trash can smoker using a standard galvanized metal garbage can that reportedly meet with great success.

If you're looking for something garage-storable (size wise), there are plans online for a trash can smoker using a standard galvanized metal garbage can that reportedly meet with great success.

Using any metal that is galvanized with a heat source can lead to zinc toxicosis, True smoking at very low temps this would be unlikely, but for BBQ I would be very concerned. This topic has been discussed for years on some of the BBQ forums and can be quite contentious. I personally would not use it.

I've seen it, never used one but at the worst if the big clay pots don't work as a smoker you can always plant flowers in them!

I'm hoping to build a UDS this year, need to get a drum though... my neighbors should be excited when i burn it out!

Top Bottom