What's new

DIY Shave Oil Recipes?

So I have been using straight olive oil to shave when i straight razor shave my head and face and it does work very well but i wonder what other oils and essential oils are best to mix together? I know i can find recipes on google but i am curious to see what other people here are using as a diy shave oil? What are the best oils and essential oils to use for shave oil?

Before I retired I had to get to work early in the morning and I shaved with just oil practically every day for several years. It's a great time saver. I got a much more comfortable shave with oil and a DE razor than the cartridge razor and canned foam I used previously. Since retirement, I usually enjoy taking my time with various different soaps or creams.

Here is the recipe I've perfected over the years. You can, of course, adjust the amounts proportionally to make the volume desired. I use 5 or 6 drops applied to a wet face. And keep the skin wet with water while shaving. No need to reapply oil.

2 tablespoons jojoba oil
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon olive oil
2 tablespoons castor oil
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil

I use
1. Grape seed oil this is the base carrying oil.
2. Argan oil.
3. Jojoba oil
4. Argan oil.
5. Avocado oil

Castor oil is too thick for me. I like a thinner mix. Olive oil can kill a lather. I have heard some women shave with just olive oil.
I would like to also try Tea tree oil in the mix.

I tried a 50-50 mix with olive oil and castor oil and then added some peppermint EO to give it a bit of a scent. Used it for awhile but didn't like the mess it left on the razor or in the sink so now just use whatever bar soap I'm using that day. Unscented Dove or 100% glycerin soap works just as well without the mess for me.

I would like to also try Tea tree oil in the mix.
Use it sparingly. That stuff burns me more than anything else. I love the medicinal scent and the anti-fungal properties, though. A drop or two is all I can handle mixed in with carrier oils.

I tried a 50-50 mix with olive oil and castor oil and then added some peppermint EO to give it a bit of a scent. Used it for awhile but didn't like the mess it left on the razor or in the sink so now just use whatever bar soap I'm using that day. Unscented Dove or 100% glycerin soap works just as well without the mess for me.
Yeah I was going to try a 50-50 mix of olive oil and castor oil, peppermint and eucalyptus and also some vitamin e oil because apparently vitamin e is very good for skin. I think eventually i will buy a bunch of other oil types and will make even better shave oils and maybe even my own beard oils too.

I know next to nothing about the oils folks use or make, but I find the DIY discussions very interesting.

I use a preshave oil, and judging by comments made in other threads, the major problem people have using oils is that they use too much. A few drops, is all you need, with lots of water, hot towel, etc... That won't gunk up anything.

I find it interesting that no one adds glycerin, though, like I said I know nothing about shave oils.

If you are trying to lather after applying the preshave oil, I found that olive oil is a lather killer. Some other oils might work better. Other posts have already suggested some suitable alternatives.

As for adding essential oils, lavender is good as it is pleasant and calming. Tea tree oil is an antiseptic, so it is useful for that purpose, but the aroma is strong so use it with discretion.

Shaving with Coconut Oil is a great experience, but you need to rinse your razor in hot water to avoid clogging. Great 'cushioning.' Leaves the skin afterwards well and truly hydrated

Last edited:
So I've never used preshave oils and use oils for my beard so was wondering if there's any oils I could use for a DIY preshave oil? Thought could use something i might already have laying around the house

If you are trying to lather after applying the preshave oil, I found that olive oil is a lather killer. Some other oils might work better. Other posts have already suggested some suitable alternatives.

As for adding essential oils, lavender is good as it is pleasant and calming. Tea tree oil is an antiseptic, so it is useful for that purpose, but the aroma is strong so use it with discretion.
Do NOT apply pure tea tree oil to your face. It will burn the skin badly. It must be diluted significantly in a carrier oil. Don’t even put pure tea tree oil into witch hazel as an aftershave. Again, dilute it first. A quick online search will reveal some horrific stories of people applying it full strength.

sunflower oil, grapeseed oil are both light oils. Caster oil is kind of a neutral older oil and is thicker. Olive oil is very good. Jojoba oil. Would not add essential oils. Shave enthusiasts use so many soaps a neutral oil you can use every day is preferred.

I played around a lot with PSO recipes when I used them on a daily basis.
My favorite was:

- Grapeseed oil 50%
- Abyssinian oil 25%
- Jojoba oil 25%
- Add EO for scent as per your liking.

Here’s my secret recipe….

10ml castor oil
10ml argan oil
10ml jojoba oil
Few drops of vitamin e
Few drops of lanolin

Heat main oils in double boiler for 20 mins stirring with disposable chopstick (or other semi-sterile item). Add drops of additional oils as the mixture cools. Continue stirring until warm. Pour into glass 30ml eye dropper bottle.

Apply dime sized amount of product to the palm of one hand. Rub between hands thoroughly to heat and thin. Massage into face an beard. Use remaining product in hair or general moisturizer.

I don’t add a fragrance to this product. I don’t want it conflicting with other product scents or causing irritation during a sensitive operation.

2 tablespoons jojoba oil
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon olive oil
2 tablespoons castor oil
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
I don’t make my own really, but if I had to it would be like this. Probably would use 1/2 the olive oil and potentially outright replace it with squalene (derived from olive oil). But this is a solid place to start.

As for essential oils, I’d start light with a few drops total and see how your skin manages. You only really need to be extra cautious of citrus, mint, tea tree and eucalyptus oils as too much will burn quite badly

Top Bottom