What's new

DIY: Putting Arko Shave Stick Into Twist Up Container.

I don't understand the crying about Arko's scent. I've heard people p*ss and moan about how bad it smells.
It smells like soap.
It is soap.
What should it smell like?

The above is not aimed at any of the above posters in this thread, nor is it intended to be taken as so. It's aimed at those who cry about the smell of Arko as they happily lather with something smelling reminiscent of goat leavings.

Reminds me of Ivory soap. I like it a LOT. I will hopefully always have plenty of Arko soap in my rotation.
The wrapper on my first stick is long gone. i need to get some of the tubes.

Last edited:
I have a first generation white macbook. It's been around the block and make a funny noise in the upper left hand corner.. Non working cd drive. And in 25 days I will be without a charger :mad3:

I foresee a 13" or 15" Pro when I get out of basic military training in November. Backlit keyboard :001_wub:

The backlit keyboard is the one thing I wish I would have sprung for and paid extra.

I found this in the auctions. It's a vintage red flecked black bakelite-lookin shave stick holder. On the lid it is marked, "Holder Top Williams Shaving Stick". There is a second set of threads inside the lid, and an Arko stick screws right in like it was made to. Evidently Williams put out a large stick way back when.

Here it is, modeled by the kitty, who is now skulking in the corner looking violated.
proxy.php

The backlit keyboard is the one thing I wish I would have sprung for and paid extra.

Oh, how I do love the backlit keyboard. It is a great way to use it in the dark with the dark keys. And, you can turn it off if you don't want the keyboard lit at night.

I had my first Arko soap experience this morning. I grated & pressed mine into a ramekin, so I didn't exactly get the experience of using it as a "stick" but I got a fine shave nevertheless. I have no problem with the clean, soapy smell. I pre-soaked it with around a tablespoon of water for a few minutes before loading my brush. It produced a fine lather in my bowl and I got a great 3 pass shave out of it. Plus, I absolutely love the artwork on the foil cover. Very retro. Arko gets a thumbs-up from me!

I detest Arko but love the Palmolive shave sticks. The Palmolive sticks aren't as pliable. I bought some of these containers from Mama Bear as well, got out the trusty cheese grater, grated the Palmolive sticks, now the slivers are very pliable, stuffed and packed it in the container, good to go.

For travel, I keep a Palmolive stick in a vintage Palmolive stick tin container.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Nice one, I didn't remember the stick to be that soft...

It seems to work very very well like this. I like it a lot better than using the stick and it keeps the soap fresh this way as well.

Getting ready to travel with it on vacation. It is really nice to be able to pack up my things and not have to put the shave stick in a plastic baggy. It really has worked out well for me. I really do like the Arko, but I haven't tried any of the other shave sticks yet. I would like to soon.....

Nice write-up! I don't know that it's really necessary to separate it into bits before squishing it all in there, but I can see how it'd help conserver room at least. I just shoved mine in all in one piece.

I have noticed a trend of liking certain scents a lot of people shy away from, and disliking others. Logically this leads me to believe that I will really like the smell of Tabac. Need to get on that now...

Followed your suggestion and put two sticks of Arko in a push-up container.

Yes you are right. Arko is easy to work with.

The result, it is even easier to apply and no mess.:thumbup1:

Thanks!!!

Am I the only person in the world who manages to use shave sticks without making a mess? I just leave a bit of the foil or wrapper around the base and hold it by that when dipping it in the sink and applying to face.

Nope, you're not the only one. I use Arko exactly how you mentioned. However, placing it in a tube would be very convenient for traveling and storage Thanks for the post Medic_Coop!

I'm waiting until my travel plans clear up and then I will be ordering arko and a container and doing this very thing, I think.

First though, there is one thing I don't get. Some people say it smells like Ivory, and some people say it smells like Williams. To my nose, Ivory smells nothing like Williams. I've learned to love (ok, more like not-hate) the citronella goodness of Williams, and I use Ivory daily in the shower, but I'm just not sure I can have the scent of Ivory right under my nose during a shave. Brings back too many memories of accidental suds in the nose. My sinuses burn just thinking about it.

I'm waiting until my travel plans clear up and then I will be ordering arko and a container and doing this very thing, I think.

First though, there is one thing I don't get. Some people say it smells like Ivory, and some people say it smells like Williams. To my nose, Ivory smells nothing like Williams. I've learned to love (ok, more like not-hate) the citronella goodness of Williams, and I use Ivory daily in the shower, but I'm just not sure I can have the scent of Ivory right under my nose during a shave. Brings back too many memories of accidental suds in the nose. My sinuses burn just thinking about it.

It's Williams and lemon pez. maybe some pledge furniture polish too LOL. its bad but the shave is sooooo good

I'll be getting some once I buy something else. I can't justify the purchase alone because the shipping is more than the product.

I thought this thread was worth the bump. I was thinking there must be a way to put Arko in something like a twist-up deodorant tube, and here it is, explained and photographed. And, heck, I haven't even tried Arko yet!

Thanks, Medic_Coop!

Top Bottom