What's new

DIY Deck Repair or Rebuild

You guys were on board for my DIY vinyl flooring install and now it’s time to consider the deck. We’ve got an older painted, yes painted, deck. the paint is peeling and I’ll be damned if I’m going to touch up that paint!

The deck is only 14’x18’ish and does have a railing. My options would be to strip the paint and stain (which sounds horrible), replace with wood planks, or go composite. The only reason I’m looking DIY is cost. I don’t want to lose the deck for more than a few weeks. My DIY experience consists of replacing light fixtures, thermostats, a vanity, and my recent DIY vinyl flooring project.

Should I bring in a contractor or have at it?!

Personally, since you are concerned with cost & time, I would give it a good power wash to take off loose paint and grime, dry a couple days and hit it with a fresh coating of good deck/porch paint, especially if it is in otherwise good shape.

If there is a fair amount of rot, then I would look at replacement options.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The deck is only 14’x18’ish and does have a railing. My options would be to strip the paint and stain (which sounds horrible), replace with wood planks, or go composite. The only reason I’m looking DIY is cost. I don’t want to lose the deck for more than a few weeks. My DIY experience consists of replacing light fixtures, thermostats, a vanity, and my recent DIY vinyl flooring project.

Do yourself a favor and buy a decent electric power washer. I bought a SunJoe SPX3000 1800psi last summer for the very purpose of doing a deck and wooden railings.

That can be done very quickly and you'll be left with brand new looking wood. Once finished washing it, let it dry for a day and give it a coat of stain and you'll have a brand new deck.

Inspect it after washing and reinforce any weak spots or corner posts with 3" deck screws. I think the only time a deck needs replacing is when its become rotten and too soft to repair.

Wow @bberg100 and @Esox that power washer video was an eye opener, I can definitely borrow one of those for free. That’s gotta be my starting point since it’s easily the best price point. I’ve got one or two split boards and few to screw down, but its largely in fine shape.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Clean it, inspect it, repair as needed and stain. Theres no reason for a new deck if you dont need one.

Power washing a deck like that I also find to be a strangely satisfying job. Its more fun than it is work.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'll try to find some before and after pictures of my lovely War Department power washing our deck that hadn't been cleaned since we built it in 2007.

Original build was with fasteners from underneath. After she put the water proofing on it, it looks more like a hard wood floor.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'll try to find some before and after pictures of my lovely War Department power washing our deck that hadn't been cleaned since we built it in 2007.

Original build was with fasteners from underneath. After she put the water proofing on it, it looks more like a hard wood floor.
IMG_20191019_155946345.jpg
IMG_20191019_155937286.jpg

Clean it, inspect it, repair as needed and stain. Theres no reason for a new deck if you dont need one.

Power washing a deck like that I also find to be a strangely satisfying job. Its more fun than it is work.

Boards are largely in good shape. Here I was thinking I’d have to primarily use a belt sander. I’m not sure how many layers of paint this deck has.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Boards are largely in good shape. Here I was thinking I’d have to primarily use a belt sander. I’m not sure how many layers of paint this deck has.

Nails come out easier than 10 year old screws, trust me lol.

Pressure washers, even the small 1800psi one I have, will tear wood apart if you get too close. The Sun Joe I mentioned above is an impressive machine. Well worth what I paid for it.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
As already said a water blaster should take the paint off if the paint is old. Don't get too close or it will rip the wood up.
A paint scrapper may be useful if there are some hard to get off spots. But as the paint is peeling you should be ok.

Don't forget the before and after photos. :pipe:

My deck out the back door is probably 4x4 with 4 steps & railings going down each side. Last spring my daughter's boyfriend replaced the whole thing with cheap lumber from Lowes. With him having a compound miter saw, he did it in 2 days without any help. He didn't want any money over the lumber cost, but since he told me that labor was usually 2x lumber cost, I paid him going rate. I cut up the old wood and composite steps and disposed of it in my trash over the past year. I haven't stained the deck & steps yet. Until COVID-19, I had hoped our house would be for sale by now and it would be the buyers problem.

Well the boards were in worse shape than expected so we went Trex and the project is nearly finished! I did the demo myself over a few days and the wife and I installed the Trex over two days. All that’s left is fascia and stairs.
FC80E1B5-95D4-4816-B6D1-128E21406DA7.jpegC04D2F26-CA33-4DE3-9868-2411EC43C642.jpeg

Top Bottom