What's new

DIY Beard Oil

First Post... I’m a avid wet shaver, what uses a few old GEM SE razors. I also have a Goatee and am trying to grow it out and was recently exposed to the Beard world of oils and Butters. I was tired of buying 20$ bottles of oil so I did a truckload of research and bought some oils and made my own. This is what I used

15 ml Tamanu Oil
15 ml Kukui Oil
30 ml Castor Oil
30 ml Apricot Kernel Oil
30 ml Hemp Seed Oil
30 ml Hazelnut Oil
30 ml Grapeseed Oil
Vitamin E oil tried to measure , too thick to get accurate , I’ll guess 5ml

Made one bottle W/Sandalwood Essential Oil, one bottle W/Lavender Essential Oil, and one W/ Frankencinse Essential Oil

So far I’m real happy. It absorbs quickly, leaves my hair soft and two of the bottles smell great. One of them I used a little too much Essential Oil, damn that stuff goes a long way....but it’s fine after about 15min. Lol Doeant look greasy and leaves a nice shine.

I researched the hell out of the carrier oils. Stayed away from Jojoba and Pecan because those two are used by everyone. All of the oils are great for hair and skin.

I want to make some Beard Butter next, and due to my exposure to the Shave world I am thinking of using Babbasu Oil.

Anyway anybody have any idea experience in shave Oils? Curious as to some opinions on my stuff. Thanks

Nice Job.! I have used a couple different beard oils in the past but, they didn't soften my beard any. It sounds like you have better oil than I have tried in the past.

"Stayed away from Jojoba and Pecan because those two are used by everyone. "

Is that the only reason for suggesting a DIY'er should stay away from these particular oils?

Uh never suggested anything. Just states I stayed away from them because of that reason. I just did this for fun, to guarantee I knew there were quality ingredients, and to match the fragrance with my regular colognes I wear.

The oils I chose all had properties that were excellent for hair and skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might try argan oil as well. It helps both skin and hair.

Essential oils good for hair:
rose, sandalwood , ylang-ylang, lavender, geranium, rosemary, Chamomile, Peppermint, Lemongrass, Tea Tree, Lemon, Cedarwood

A link I found for EO and carriers for different hair problems.
Essential Oils for Hair Benefits

Top Bottom