What's new

DIY aftershaves - experiences and links?

Greetings Gentlemen..!

I am consider venturing into the fine art of creating my own aftershaves. I got inspired by reading about the Stirling company.
I wonder what sort of inspiration and help one might be able to get here at BB.
Anyone out there with experiences -- recommendations -- links to good recipes, vendors of good ingredients? And, is there already a forum here at BB dedicated specifically to this topic?
Cheers

I like to mix up my own stuff just for fun. Just my experience from playing with mixtures and reading things online. i.e. no guarantees :)

I make alcohol based aftershaves. No experience with any aqueous versions. I also like to add menthol, but that's just my preference.

My Kit Consists of: Everclear, Witch Hazel (alcohol based version), glycerol, Vitamin E, Euclapytus Oil, Menthol Crystals, Essential Oils (starter kits cheaply available on amazon), small plastic 100ml containers (from amazon), and a small kitchen scale.

I mix Everclear:Witch Hazel at about 4:1, and then add in smaller amounts of the other ingredients (oils, humectants) as desired. I like a menthol kick, so I usually add that in at about 1-2% by weight. Shake it up and give the menthol a couple of hours to fully incorporate.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don’t think what I do and what the OP is looking to do is the same thing…. :)
I think this is correct. I want to try mixing aftershaves from scratch using basic ingredients. As far as I can tell from the link above, you are making new concoctions by mixing different commercially available aftershaves. Interesting project, but not the one I have in mind.

As a starting point, I'd look at the ingredient lists for some of the better aftershaves out there and see if you can come close.

Speick Men
Proraso Green
Myrsol

Here's an interesting table showing ingredients (INCI) for the Myrsol aftershave line, in order of their percentage in the product:

1679353201931.png

That chart appeared on the website thepleasureofshaving.com.

As a starting point, I'd look at the ingredient lists for some of the better aftershaves out there
Good idea! That's exactly what I have been doing. In fact, I just studied that Myrsol chart carefully very recently before I ordered some Myrsols. But the experience of being mostly underwhelmed once I received the products, and having paid a hefty price, just reminded me that it's time to take matters more in my own hands. I want to pay less, and have more of a say in what's in my aftershaves. At least I hope to achieve a better understanding of aftershave contents and effects, if nothing else this project should help me do that. The interesting thing I have read about Stirling is, they highlight "few" ingredients as a quality. Like the saying goes, "less is more". So I'm thinking, how hard can it be to brew up some good aftershaves .... And if you screw it up, just brew another one. Way cheaper than relying exclusively on ready made ones.

Last edited:
You'll notice a pattern for the alcohol based aftershaves. Alcohol and water make up the majority of the ingredients. Supplemental ingredients are there mainly for moisturizing and fragrance. Some aftershave have an astringent component, as well.

For moisturizing (humectant ingredients), most use glycerin (aka glycerol). Some use sugar alcohols such as sorbitol. You may see things like polysorbate instead.

For fragrance, essential oils are common. Many aftershaves use synthetic fragrances, too.

I've made a decent aftershave using about 60% ethyl alcohol, distilled water, Dickenson's witch hazel and vegetable glycerin. For fragrance, I added a small amount of Alvarez Gomez Agua de Colonia Concentrada.

Speaking of the Myrsols though, I found the "Metisol" to be a very pleasant surprise. It contains alum, has a nice astringent effect, I can't recall having tried an aftershave splash with alum in it before. Very nice, and super simple to add yourself. The Metisol also contains menthol, and herbs, very nice scent with notes of thyme, rosemary and lavender (again, very simple to make yourself). Of all the Myrsols I tried, that's the one I would recommend.

Last edited:
You'll notice a pattern for the alcohol based aftershaves. Alcohol and water make up the majority of the ingredients. Supplemental ingredients are there mainly for moisturizing and fragrance. Some aftershave have an astringent component, as well.

A main challenge I foresee, is figuring proportions out.
Unlike the ingredients themselves ("which"), proportions ("how much") are hardly ever listed on commercial aftershaves (other than ranked in order of most to least).
Do you have any experience or advice in this regard (or links to recipes)?

Just found this timely thread.
I've been thinking about trying to make a splash to pair with MdC Original.
Everclear, witch hazel, glycerine, menthol
and then essential oils of: Mint, Lavender, Rosemary; and maybe just a touch of Citrus

There are some commercially available splashes out there that probably fit well with Original,
but they all have a Thyme component, too - which I know I wouldnt be too fond of.
(Myrsol Balsamic is a common pairing cited here)

Been using Speick splash with Original - and it compliments well and in the right way for me (springtime, herbal, fresh),
but making my own does intrigue me...

So, thanks for starting this thread, and I'll be watching for more guidance if it appears...

Top Bottom