What's new

Ditching the badger

I just wanted to throw this out and see what you guys think. I was caught up with silvertip badger brushes for quite some time until I decided to purchase a boar brush for more ease with hard soaps. I was blown away with how much I enjoyed it. Don't get me wrong, silvertip is oh so soft and retains heat great but there is something about boar that just screams "wet shaving". I now own 11 boar brushes, Semogue and Omega, mostly Semogue, and I have yet to pull out a badger brush since.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've used my Silvertip and boar each once since switching to a synthetic.

If you want ease of loading with hard soaps, try a synthetic. My well broken in Omega boar takes me 200 trips around a tin of PdP 63 to load. My synthetic takes ~50.

I agree with you on that as I do have several synthetics as well. They are awesome but for some reason, I really enjoy the break-in process of boar brushes. I love how they start out and then see them develop as the shaves go by. It's the little things in life. LOL

I have all four types, boar, horse, badger, and synthetic.
Mostly use boar and horse, badger when I am in a hurry, and the synthetic only for travel (quick drying).

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
hey are awesome but for some reason, I really enjoy the break-in process of boar brushes. I love how they start out and then see them develop as the shaves go by. It's the little things in life. LOL

I hear you. My Omega boar changed a lot in its first 6 months. It took 6 solid months of every other day shaving before the tips started turning pure white when soaked.

IMG_2347.jpg IMG_2344.jpg

Those tips are as soft as my Silvertip and synthetic. It does have a little scritch compared to my synthetic and far more backbone than I like now.

2A17F58E-569E-44ED-AC41-E46E54FD38ED.jpeg
14 shaves since Friday(out the box) no complaints...yet
I just wanted to throw this out and see what you guys think. I was caught up with silvertip badger brushes for quite some time until I decided to purchase a boar brush for more ease with hard soaps. I was blown away with how much I enjoyed it. Don't get me wrong, silvertip is oh so soft and retains heat great but there is something about boar that just screams "wet shaving". I now own 11 boar brushes, Semogue and Omega, mostly Semogue, and I have yet to pull out a badger brush since.

Nice! I do like the scritch. The beauty is, once you get a couple of good silvertips, boar and synthetic are so affordable that it makes experimenting and enjoying all aspects of shave brushes much easier.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Nice! I do like the scritch. The beauty is, once you get a couple of good silvertips, boar and synthetic are so affordable that it makes experimenting and enjoying all aspects of shave brushes much easier.

Thats what its all about!

I always try to recommend to new shavers to buy a boar and synthetic, and if they like the synthetic more, then buy a badger. It can save tons of money if, like me, your actually prefer the boar. I don't care for BAD, GRRR! :)

Granted my badger and synthetic are both cheaper mofels, but I was BLOWN AWAY when I used my Omega 49 Boar for the first time the other day.

I told my wife, who got it for me for Valentine's, "this just feels like what I imagine a brush is supposed to feel like".

I'm pretty sure it's the backbone for me.

Can't wait to see how it changes slightly over the next few months.

Boars are my favorites and I use them like a renewable resource. I have a good supply of badger and synthetics, no horses.

..I was caught up with silvertip badger brushes for quite some time...
After a long period of time using badgers only, the boars are a novelty. That's all. I too go back and forth between them and find them unique every time a new one hits the rotation.

Ditching the badger
That would be a mistake, in my opinion.

...I have yet to pull out a badger brush since...
They will come back when the time is right. And you will find them remarkable again.

Enjoy the boars!

They will come back when the time is right. And you will find them remarkable again.
I know you are right. I would never get rid of them, I'm just having a lot of fun with boar at the moment. I still have several synthetics I haven't used yet and I'm sure I'll really get into them when I do. This is the beauty of a hobby like wet shaving. There is so much to enjoy. Thanks for all the replies. I do appreciate a little interaction at times.

I'm at this point right now, I was really enjoying my boar brushes, then picked up a badger again and remembered how great it felt. Both have their uniqueness and both should be enjoyed!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom