What's new

Distilled water makes all the difference

I live in an area with very hard water. Even Brita filters start getting lime and calcium deposits after a few weeks. I didn't realize how much of a problem this was for me in terms of generating lather and inhibiting its maximum potential for efficacy. Don't get me wrong. I made it work. Creams are no problem with lathering, though you have to be careful lathering creams in hard water as the lather can easily get too airy. Soaps is where I could run into some trouble. Tabac / Irisch Moos, Mama Bear, and DR Harris lather just fine. But, SCS, QED, and MWF were terribly difficult to lather.

Well, just yesterday I picked up some distilled water from CVS and used it to soak my brush (Semogue OC) in a mug just laying around. I poured just the tiniest amount, maybe 1 tblsp onto a pick of MWF just to get it wet and soft during the time I'd be in the shower. Well, let me tell you fellas something...BAM. The difference was noticed the moment the brush hit the soap. Immediately lather began forming on the brush and the brush only required about 20 seconds on the puck, not a full minute like with my hard water. The lather built quicker on my face too! Here is the part that really surprised me. The lather was much slicker and my razor glided over my face with such ease. No matter how great my lather was with my sink water, I always felt like I needed a bit more pressure on the razor to keep it from the occasional skips. This time, my blade went ice skating all over my face. The shave was much cleaner and I got a near BBS with 2 passes. A third pass would have definitely given me a complete BBS shave. I would have needed 4-5 passes with the water from my sink.

Best part is, it's not that difficult to use bottled water. I just bought three 1 gallon jugs and I keep one under my sink. When I want to shave with a more sensitive soap like MWF or QED, I pour enough water in a coffee mug to soak my brush and put about 1 tblsp on the soap during the shower. You can dip your razor in the mug to clean the blade during use, and use some of it to splash on your face before taking the brush to your face. I won't use the distilled every time because some soaps / creams are more resilient than others and I have not had problems with these products despite my hard water.

This experiment was / is very cheap and not a hassle at all like I've seen some people mention. The benefit exceeds the cost several fold. And for those of you who will say "distilled water does not occur in nature," well...neither does shaving. In nature, beards grow, and they'll continue to grow until a man-made tool removes the hair from the face. Razors don't grow on trees either. Metal is extracted from ore, refined, and then shaped by a craftsman. Soap / cream doesn't rain from the sky, but is made through a deliberate, man-made process. Last I checked, water streaming from your faucet doesn't fit the purist bill either. My point is that using distilled water does not take away from the authenticity of the experience, and those living in areas with extremely hard water like myself should give it a try.

Excellent tip...I live in Phoenix and you can stack water droplets on top of eachother.

I'm going to try this and report back!

I have had some difficulty lathering up my Tabac soap and J.M. Fraser's mosswood cream. I think i'll give them another chance with distilled water in the near future.

Glad you discovered this! My grandfather told me years ago that hard water was the cause of 90% of all lathering issues. He used rain water to shave with.

We have soft water where I live and a bar of soap last for 3 months in the shower.

Glad you discovered this! My grandfather told me years ago that hard water was the cause of 90% of all lathering issues. He used rain water to shave with.
And rain water basically IS distilled water! (It condenses out of water vapor and has little or no mineral content...at least until it hits the ground or your roof!)

And rain water basically IS distilled water! (It condenses out of water vapor and has little or no mineral content...at least until it hits the ground or your roof!)

Well, yeah, except for the pollutants, soil, plant parts, insect parts, bacteria, algae, and sometimes radioactive materials that the rain has washed out of the air. But other than that, it's EXACTLY like distilled water. :tongue_sm

Good idea to use it for just certain soaps. To warm it up you can put the mug into a sink full of hot water. I might have to try that out.

I laughed at a few of these posts :thumbup: Good stuff.

There are two important points I forgot to make:

I neglected to mention something in the description of my process which I think is really important. I'm a cold water or room temp shaver. Ohhh that feels good. I've been holding that in for a while. :tongue_sm It feels more refreshing and it leaves me with zero irritation. Some of you might find that using distilled water for some soaps is a hassle because you'll want to warm it up before beginning your shave. I suppose it shouldn't be too much trouble if you use it for certain soaps on an occasional basis. For those of us that shave with cold water or room temp water, using distilled water is no inconvenience. I keep the water underneath the sink.

Purified and distilled water are different. Purified water is filtered water with select minerals added back into it for taste. Distilled water is vaporized, leaving the heavy minerals behind, and recollected in its liquid form. Make sure to pick up the distilled. It was hard to find it in a grocery store for some reason but drug stores carry them for 1 buck per gallon.

You guys should have seen the look on my girlfriends face when she came over and saw three gallons of water in the bathroom :lol:

I've been inspired to dig out my water distiller. (Using it in the winter is OK since the generated heat isn't wasted. I better stock up for summer!:idea:) Did a test lathering and it certainly worked well. Next shave will be a proper test.

Since moving here in 1998, I've used bottled "Culligan" type Water for EVERYTHING except laundry and showers. I've always lathered with the bottled water, and keep an 18oz & 22oz mug under the sink, recycling the unused portion through the week.

Although I CW shave, I build a warm lather, hydrating my face with very cold sink water. After the lather is first created, I don't find the hard sink water negatively affects my re-lathers.

I have No trouble with any Tallow, Clay Bentonite Clay, glycerin or Shea Butter based Soaps, Creams are VERY easy, especially AOS Lavender, my Summer Cream.

Top Bottom