What's new

Dissappearing Proraso!

Noob here. I just got my first tube of Proraso and all was good for my first few shaves where I used a tupperware bowl to lather. Then I got a ceramic mug and started warming my mug and brush with very hot water. When I go to lather the Proraso it just doesnt lather well regardless of the amount of water i use. Has anyone else had the problem of proraso not lathering in a hot ceramic mug? or is there something I might be doing wrong?
When I do the same thing but use KMF it lathers fine. Any ideas?

juice

Works well for me with a hot ceramic mug (just as hot as a regular tap can get it). Maybe just keep experimenting, maybe the ratios are different with warmer water. All I can suggest is that you don't need too much cream (about the same amount as toothpaste I guess), and use the min amount of water - adding just a little water at a time.

Let us know how it goes, welcome to B&B

In general, making lather with very hot (around 212F) water is next to impossible. This is also true if you try using a very hot bowl/scuttle to make your lather. For some unknown (at least to me) reason, the lather just deflates almost immediately. The good news: it's an easy fix -- just use a less warm bowl and you should be good to go!

Proraso lathers very well not matter what I do with it. If my scuttle is burning hot, sometimes it dries out fast, but other than that the stuff is usually bulletproof.

I am more and more convinced that warm, not hot, water is the key to shaving in general. It is better for prep, for lather making, for initial rinsing, etc. Then cold for final rinse. My lathers are better with warm. I agree that too hot just makes for a dry lather.

I am more and more convinced that warm, not hot, water is the key to shaving in general. It is better for prep, for lather making, for initial rinsing, etc. Then cold for final rinse. My lathers are better with warm. I agree that too hot just makes for a dry lather.

Agree 100%. Hot water irritates the skin, too.

In general, making lather with very hot (around 212F) water is next to impossible. This is also true if you try using a very hot bowl/scuttle to make your lather. For some unknown (at least to me) reason, the lather just deflates almost immediately. The good news: it's an easy fix -- just use a less warm bowl and you should be good to go!

If I may insert my two cents, I've never really seen the point of "warming" my bowl. I use warm, not hot, water and Proraso lathers like a champ. To be clear, I don't use a mug with handles, I use a small ceramic tea cup from Japan that I inherited from my grandfather, perhaps the heat from my hands while lathering warms the container a bit but not sure about that.

Top Bottom