What's new

Disposing Used Blades

Some people buy blade banks, fill them up, then toss them out - kinda wasteful to buy one when you can use a disposable container instead.
I buy nuts & berries in disposable plastic cartons. i throw them out anyway, so why not fill them up first? They snap together tightly, but a piece of packing tape can be added as needed.
20220618_223954.jpg

My house was built in the 1950s and there's a slot in the back of the medicine cabinet of our master bathroom. I just drop them through the slot and let them fall behind the wall. I imagine my blades are rusting away with those the WW2 Navy vet who lived here for decades before us probably dropped there as well.

I have a small gap between my vanity cabinet and the top. I push my blades through the gap and they fall into the gap between the wall and cabinet. The space is 3"w x 34"h x 20"d. I do not see myself fill the space up.

Nice. The best would be if you had to flex the blade slightly to get it in. That way it could never come out.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I use the plastic containers that the tucks come in and slip the used blades back into the bottom. When they get full, I go crazy with tape, taping them up thickly in every direction...and then I toss it.

Since my children are dead, and I have no intention of having any around, they go in the trash. Steel completely decomposes, so I am not worried about plastic.

God made this world. It survived long before my arrival and will remain long after my departure. I won't entertain the delusion that my existence in the world will really make any difference. This is why I refuse to worry about it.

Last edited:
I try to recycle everything I can. California won’t take a lot of small stuff in their regular household recycling program. I save small pieces of metal (all the way down to nails, screws and even staples!) in metal containers. When they are full, and I take my scrape metal in for recycling I include these sealed cans.

I took a heavy weight plastic pint jar, and with a Dremel cut a slot in the lid. And since there are grandkids around occasionally, I glued the lid.
I most likely will be exiting stage left, long before it's filled. :bored:

I changed my mind. I rescued an 8-oz plastic Yuban container from the recycling bin and began using it as an Expired/Expended Blade receptacle.

After it is full, it would go into the recycling bin. (What they do with it will be entirely up to them).

I have an old mason jar full of water that I drop my used blades in. When it gets about half full I put the lid on, let them sit for a month or so until they are just a mound of rusty mush. Then I dry it out and grind them into a fine powder that I mix into a chocolate chip cookie dough. Then I bake them into cookies, put them in my lunch bag and take them to work. There, I toss my bag into the fridge and let the guy who steals my lunch deal with them.

Right now I just have a empty pop can that I opened the mouth up on and put tape all around it so it’s not sharp but I would like a better blade bank.

Is it just me or is blade banks something this hobby has sparse options of? There are a couple cheaper metal ones that are small and don’t look the best. And a couple of the higher end ones you have to toss after full which I find ridiculous.

Someone needs to come out with a basic blade bank that’s got normal bathroom designs on it like a rectangle ceramic box with slot in the top and simple design on the sides in multiple colors to match your room and with the optional “Used Blades” on the sides. Or something similar?

If I ever get around to remodeling I may do the wall bank. But right now my bathroom sink is against an outside wall where insulation fills the voids and makes that a bad idea.

I use a Feather blade bank. It can be opened and the contents transferred to something else and then reused, but that's not what I do. I normally just put some tape over the top and toss it. I use a fresh blade daily.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Right now I just have a empty pop can that I opened the mouth up on and put tape all around it so it’s not sharp but I would like a better blade bank.

Is it just me or is blade banks something this hobby has sparse options of? There are a couple cheaper metal ones that are small and don’t look the best. And a couple of the higher end ones you have to toss after full which I find ridiculous.

Someone needs to come out with a basic blade bank that’s got normal bathroom designs on it like a rectangle ceramic box with slot in the top and simple design on the sides in multiple colors to match your room and with the optional “Used Blades” on the sides. Or something similar?

If I ever get around to remodeling I may do the wall bank. But right now my bathroom sink is against an outside wall where insulation fills the voids and makes that a bad idea.
Seems like you are a tad frustrated @WVShaver . I have no idea if this will help. Blade banks to me seem like shaving bowls. In my mind they are the easiest acquisition for one's shaving den. In the instance of a bowl you can stroll into your kitchen and grab pretty much anything and make use if it. One could also spend a pretty penny on something vintage, handmade, or otherwise specific to their whims and desires.

I think the same could be said for a blade bank. Stroll down to the kitchen and empty a can of broth through a slit cut in the top, viola. Next step up order a disposable blade bank or utilize an antique container to your liking, bingo. Above and beyond would be something along these lines-

After that one is only limited by their imagination. Piggy banks come in a billion different styles and flavors, I can't imagine not being able to find something to suit one's tastes.

My two pennies. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Top Bottom