What's new

Disposing of used blades

This is my set-up for blade disposal.
It is an empty tin can of Milk about 6 inches high.

I'm new to wet shaving, so I don't know how long it will take to fill this can, but I'm guessing more than 2 years atleast.

I cut a long hole with my safety knife saw and then put Araldite sealant to eliminate any sharp edges.

This is kept in the lower drawer of almirah and everyone in my home knows that it contains discarded blades.

It'll be given to the junk yard/ recycling shop for free of cost where he will melt it to reuse.
Blade Disposal.jpeg

Most everyone has had a small container from an Alum bar that they've finished... Just cut a slot in the end and when its full tape it up, label it, and recycle it... I think I've been using this one for almost 3yrs now. These pics were taken almost 2yrs ago so it should be sometime this year to fill it completely.
Blade bank 1.jpg
Blade bank 2.jpg

Finished? Mine looks like it will last 20 years. That is unless I drop it.
I've been through like 4 of them since 2016!! I will add that I was never using them correctly and 1 broke in half on me. My current one has been going for well over a year now and should last till late in the year this year I'm assuming. I used to put it back in the case wet and that seems to have degraded the bar considerably. I now use only 1 side after a hot water rinse and I pat the bar dry and flip it in the box for the next shave. I also have a vegetable rubber band around it to keep it from slipping in my fingers and possible dropping...

I've been through like 4 of them since 2016!! I will add that I was never using them correctly and 1 broke in half on me. My current one has been going for well over a year now and should last till late in the year this year I'm assuming. I used to put it back in the case wet and that seems to have degraded the bar considerably. I now use only 1 side after a hot water rinse and I pat the bar dry and flip it in the box for the next shave. I also have a vegetable rubber band around it to keep it from slipping in my fingers and possible dropping...
I bet the hot water rinse is washing a lot away. I rinse mine in cold water and put it back in the open plastic case to dry. My first alum block had a bad spot inside. Once it wore down so that spot was showing through i pitched it. That took about 8 months. This new block looks pristine through and through. I imagine it will last a long time.

I bet the hot water rinse is washing a lot away. I rinse mine in cold water and put it back in the open plastic case to dry. My first alum block had a bad spot inside. Once it wore down so that spot was showing through i pitched it. That took about 8 months. This new block looks pristine through and through. I imagine it will last a long time.
I don't wet the bar before using it. I take the dry bar to my rinsed face first and then rinse the bar in cold water and pat it dry before going back in the container.

I place my used blades in a jar that I repurposed for the job. I'll occasionally empty the blades in a can that's ready for the trash.

Parker blades tuck have a slit at the bottom for the old blades and a slit at the top to take out the new blade. When tuck is done, throw out the package containing the 5 used blades.

Performance of the blades is outstanding as well. Bought 100 for $12, about 30 blades in and have had great success.

I also use a sharps container. I bought it over ten years ago, and its less than 20% full. At that rate it will likely outlast me.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
DD9DEE79-B089-4CD4-B5F0-5230478053E8.jpeg

Another vote for a tin money box. I don’t thank that I will ever fill this one up. As to recycling it depends on your local council.

I also use a sharps container. I bought it over ten years ago, and its less than 20% full. At that rate it will likely outlast me.

I had one but tossed it when we moved 6 years ago. It had plenty of blades in it, but there was room for the razors my wife uses too.

I use the broth can method. Chicken broth can, palm a knife through the lid to make a slice. Drain and rinse. $0.89.

I have kids and years ago my older son got into some blades and cut his hand pretty bad. I guess I had taken for granted the thought that he wouldn't open the drawer in the bathroom.
Great idea. Thanks!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I use any type of small container. Fill it from my feather blade tin when that gets full. Tape it up and toss it. I think the issue with these blades isn’t toxic waste but safety for anyone handling the trash.

1 thread a month about blade disposal xD

Use whatever you wan't just be careful that container doesn't open easily and that kids can't get to it

I use empty candy tin, Cavendish and Harvey (product placement :p) I don't have kids so I don't really worry about storage

Top Bottom