What's new

Disposing of used blades

I'm only a few weeks in on DE Shaving, so I don't want to try to pass myself off as an expert, but I'm wondering if you have to treat used blades like toxic waste.

I'm putting my used blades in an old Icebreakers container and when it gets full, I'll sell it off with packing out duct tape and toss it in the trash.

If you have anklebiters you might want to put your candy box of slicers out of sight and out if reach, say in the top shelf of a medicine cabinet.

I take a multivitamin once a day so when I'm done with my OneADay bottle, that is likely to become my used blades repository.

Or when I finally go through a pack of blades, I'll use that, probably putting it in something as an added buffer.

Here’s a good thread...

I have a little plastic $5 blade disposal thingy that I use. When it’s full, I wrap it in duct tape and throw it in the garbage.

I use the broth can method. Chicken broth can, palm a knife through the lid to make a slice. Drain and rinse. $0.89.

I have kids and years ago my older son got into some blades and cut his hand pretty bad. I guess I had taken for granted the thought that he wouldn't open the drawer in the bathroom.

I have use an inexpensive blade bank that holds a ton of blades. When it is full I will cover the entrance with duct tape, then put it in the recycle bin.

I use a Mount Olive pickle jar. I super glued to the top on and cut a slice in the lid for the blades. Still isn't full after 5 years or more but it will eventually go in the Recycling bin.

This is what I use, very safe & holds a lot of blades.
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

I use the broth can method. Chicken broth can, palm a knife through the lid to make a slice. Drain and rinse. $0.89.

I have kids and years ago my older son got into some blades and cut his hand pretty bad. I guess I had taken for granted the thought that he wouldn't open the drawer in the bathroom.
I do the same. Use some channel locks to pinch it shut, label it "sharps" and toss it in the recycle bin.

I have a tin "Feather" blade bank myself, little buggers seem to take a while to fill up thankfully. I never understood the whole deal with cutting a hole in your wall and dumping your blades in there, buddy at work well before I got into wet shaving told me he knew someone who was fixing up some old house and found a ton of blades in the wall which confused the hell out of me at the time

I know of no law that requires you to treat used blades like "toxic waste" or in any other way prescribes the method of their disposal. I think it's just a matter of common sense.
For many years, medicine cabinets had a slot in the back specifically for blade disposal. Despite the vehement protestations of some here with boundless imaginations, there is absolutely nothing wrong with availing yourself of them. I have for years, and I've no trouble sleeping at night.
Alternatively, modern DE blade dispensers usually have a slot in the rear for the used blades, and these will commonly hold more blades than they originally came with.
Purchase a blade bank or craft one from common household items, the choice is yours. Use something...or nothing!
If you live alone, you may even toss bare blades into the dustbin with impunity...if your conscience permits it.
Much is made of the safety of rubbish handlers and sorters, but these individuals are provided for with adequate safety equipment as it is expected that myriad types of sharp, keen, dangerous, poisonous, and caustic refuse will be coming their way every minute.
Some may entreat you to consider used blades as dangerous biological or medical waste, potentially carrying blood-borne pathogens. The truth of that cannot be denied, and if you were a clinical or medical institution, you may be governed by disposal laws, but as I started out saying, I know of no laws governing blade disposal by private individuals in their own homes.

Thankfully the plastic Feather blade packs have a dispenser built into the back. That’s what I use.

I'm using a small 0.5 liter plastic bottle and it gets the job done. It's nothing fancy, but it's effective and the blades are safely disposed.

Top Bottom