What's new

Disparity between blades bought in UK & Asia

Hello this is my first posting,

I'm a British national living in Malaysia and I've bought some Gilette Mach 3 blades with Thai writing on them, made in Thailand. I get that Oriental facial hair is different to everyone else and that may be the reason but the blades are horrendous blunt. I've had the worst shave ever so I find myself here searching for a DE Razor and blades.

I'd like to ask the house if anyone has tried branded offerings in Asia and found a similar quality issue with products made for the Asian market? I remember once drinking Coca Cola from Poland which tasted like Chicken too.

As far as where you go to buy your safety razor and blades, it sounds like it would be to your benefit to purchase online. Once you decide on which razor you want, search for an online source for it, whether thats eBay, Amazon, or this forum's Buy/Sell/Trade area. A good source for blades is razorbladesclub.com.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

Hello this is my first posting,

I'm a British national living in Malaysia and I've bought some Gilette Mach 3 blades with Thai writing on them, made in Thailand. I get that Oriental facial hair is different to everyone else and that may be the reason but the blades are horrendous blunt. I've had the worst shave ever so I find myself here searching for a DE Razor and blades.

I'd like to ask the house if anyone has tried branded offerings in Asia and found a similar quality issue with products made for the Asian market? I remember once drinking Coca Cola from Poland which tasted like Chicken too.

No direct experience but I've seen a number of posts here from people who have tried the SE Asia market Gillette DE blades, and found them wanting also. I agree with the poster who says to import via mail order if you can find someplace where the shipping charges aren't unreasonable.

Also, eBay is another good source for buying razorblades from once you find your "go to" blade. However, razorbladesclub is good to go to for smaller quantities as well.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

I don't know about Malaysia, but in the Philippines you can get Gillette Rubie blades. They're cheap and good for about two or three shaves for me. The Lord Tajam blades are made in Egypt for the SE Asian market. Those I can also get two or three shaves from as well. Dorco can be found, but I have only found the ST300 blades. They're okay, but I wouldn't go past two shaves.

I do believe that some Nacet blades that are made in Thailand are supposed to be pretty good. I don't know how available they are in your area.

There is a major importer of Parker and Taconic shave gear and soaps in Makate Philippines, but I'm pretty sure that may not do you any good.

Keep us informed in your shaving adventures there in Malaysia. I'm interested to see what you find.

I am here in the Philippines and I am able to get Gillette "London Bridge" blades which are made in China but marketed for the Philippine and Indonesian market. They are pretty good blades. I get about a weeks worth of shaving from one blade. Also "Lord Tajam" are ok blades too. Gillette Rubies (China made) are supposed to be decent blades and are sold as premium blades here but I have had problems with quality control on these.

Top Bottom