What's new

Discussions of aftershaves (buying recommendations)

hi everyone

the first thread that i open - i was looking for some general discussion on aftershaves,
and couldn't find anything in the last three pages here, so i opened this one.
(please provide a link or connect if there is some older thread with similar aim)

i was about to order some new aftershaves to try some new scent.
i am looking for lotions only.
since i have some limited offer of lotions in sweden, i looked for
the proven options that i have from spain - myrsol and floid.
while checking the store, that i bought from earlier,
i came across Dr. Harris products.

the aftershave choice (arlington (preshave also), bay rum and windsor)
seemed interesting. more expensive than myrsol and proraso, but still
rather acceptable (around 30-40 euros/dollars).

i would appreciate any comment towards Dr. Harris products I listed.
after some initial enthusiasm, I have no idea how many aftershaves I stocked,
and I feel a bit guilty over it (not soo much for the cash, but I really don't use many of them now).

if by any chance you know something similar to this
Truefitt & Hill Cream, Balm & Cologne Sample Pack - Gents - https://www.gents.se/truefitt-hill-cream-balm-and-cologne-sample-pack
but for lotions, I would greatly appreciate it.
is it common to find testers of aftershave lotions from where you buy?

Never used Dr Harris but I can highly recommend Truefitt and Hill both their aftershave splashes and balms are excellent and beautifully scented same goes for Taylor of old bond street just ordered Mr Taylor shave cream and aftershave after I tried a sample brilliant stuff at least for me it is

I usually get my shave gear online at a Belgian site another great online store is gifts & care based in Spain they have a huge variety and ship fast at reasonable rates

Never used Dr Harris but I can highly recommend Truefitt and Hill both their aftershave splashes and balms are excellent and beautifully scented same goes for Taylor of old bond street just ordered Mr Taylor shave cream and aftershave after I tried a sample brilliant stuff at least for me it is

I usually get my shave gear online at a Belgian site another great online store is gifts & care based in Spain they have a huge variety and ship fast at reasonable rates
is it just me, i haven't seen any aftershave lotion from truefitt?
i checked both my provider and their official site

Shaving Products | Traditional Razors, Soaps, Balms & Creams - https://www.truefittandhill.co.uk/collections/shaving/aftershave-balms

i see many balms, but not a single lotion.

thanks for the "gifts & care" suggestion, they seem to have plenty of choice

Not sure truefitt and hill aftershave balm sits in between splash and balm more like a lightweight liquid balm, but definitely have a look at the TOBS options if you are looking for a nice scented aftershave splash

Last edited:
Arlington

scent: heavy citrus, fern
glycerin: yes
menthol: yes
antiseptic: cetrimonium chloride

Windsor

scent: citrus, wood, suede, vetiver (most complex of the three)
glycerin: no
menthol: no
antiseptic: no

Bay Rum

scent: bay rum essential oil, eugenol (main constituent in clove oil)

Personally, my favourite DRH aftershaves (owned them all) are the Windsor and Skin Tonic (doubles as a/s).
I don't think the menthol compliments the scent profile (heavy citrus) of Arlington, but you may feel otherwise.
The Bay Rum is too clove-forward for my taste.

Arlington

scent: heavy citrus, fern
glycerin: yes
menthol: yes

Windsor

scent: citrus, wood, suede, vetiver (most complex of the three)
antiseptic: no

Bay Rum

scent: bay rum essential oil, eugenol (main constituent in clove oil)

Personally, my favourite DRH aftershaves (owned them all) are the Windsor and Skin Tonic (doubles as a/s).
I don't think the menthol compliments the scent profile (heavy citrus) of Arlington, but you may feel otherwise.
The Bay Rum is too clove-forward for my taste.
thanks for the detailed review.
Windsor had good reviews and description on the sites that I checked also.
I ordered that one now - I will post my experience with it soon.

I've never smelled the DRH Sandalwood but hear good things about it. I have two TOBS aftershaves, Sandalwood and Bay Rum. The Sandalwood is a nice unique scent, as most know who use their Sandalwood cream. The Bay Rum is nice, but their are many other Bay Rums just as nice. I got into Bay Rums and have a lifetime supply so I have oithers to compare it to. Nice, but not outstanding Bay Rum.

I've never smelled the DRH Sandalwood but hear good things about it. I have two TOBS aftershaves, Sandalwood and Bay Rum. The Sandalwood is a nice unique scent, as most know who use their Sandalwood cream. The Bay Rum is nice, but their are many other Bay Rums just as nice. I got into Bay Rums and have a lifetime supply so I have oithers to compare it to. Nice, but not outstanding Bay Rum.
i got windsor based on the previous suggestion.
gettin' some bay rum is next on my list.

I’ve come to appreciate Proraso green and red. Less alcohol, scent dissipate quickly not interfering with cologne and have shea oil to moisturise the skin. Their slashes are very underrated IMO.

Also fancy Pinaud Clubman, very good.

Wish I could help, but I am an AS ‘splash’ guy.

Perhaps, you could talk LOTH into some travel (with a few AS picked up along the way). :thumbup: :thumbup:

Wish I could help, but I am an AS ‘splash’ guy.

Perhaps, you could talk LOTH into some travel (with a few AS picked up along the way). :thumbup: :thumbup:
I didn't quite understand this post :)
I assume as "AS" you refer to aftershave. I was particularly looking for splash/lotion/liquid instead of balms.
What is the point with LOTH? Only guess is sth related to Truefit Hill? Am I close here haha

Top Bottom