What's new

Discussion Thread For Trumper Eucris Shave Soap

Good evening chaps. This morning I shaved with the new Trumper Eucris for the first time. While I am certainly not ready to pass any kind of judgment on this lather yet, I can say the initial outing was promising though with a few caveats.

As some of you know, I have a rather tenuous relationship with Trumper shave soap. I have tried mightily to lather my old version of almond with varying degrees of aggravation. To put it bluntly, it is not a good soap. At least not with my water. That may be heresy but it is my experience. This newer version of their veg soap is a bit different. Even to the other veg soaps currently in their lineup. It contains cocoa butter which I find to be an excellent skin conditioner and even something of a lather stabilizer since it is saturated fat and these always seem to help shave soaps. At least it does here. I think.

As noted in the other thread about this soap, my take on the scent is that it edges a bit more toward the department store scent but if you just sniff at it instead of inhaling it, the black currant notes come through. I like it though I don't know if I will ever love it. I love Eucris edt. So yes, a bit different.

The lather itself took a bit of getting used to. Frankly, Trumper could use a bit of reworking of their soaps. This one most certainly lathered up better than the old version I have but it still took a goodly amount of work. I loaded the LE 2009 brush and went to work face lathering. It started to break down within seconds so I went back to the cake and loaded some more. This did not result in thicker lather so I resorted to one of my old tricks with a cranky lather. I added a good tablespoon of hot water, lathered it aggressively, and then set it down on the counter, loft up mind you, and let it rest for a minute. This helped a good deal. It allowed the soap to absorb more of the water. This made working up a richer lather much easier. After what seemed like five minutes of fiddling with this, I got a stable lather going. My beard was well scrubbed by this and it was time to go to work with the Feather DEs.

The shave itself was marvelous. I mean that. All my initial grump about Trumper and their ruddy hard soaps disappeared. This soap provided a quality of shave not seen from my almond. I was very encouraged. The whiskers fairly flew to the blade and the after shave feel was very smooth, nourished, no tightness, and honestly felt as if I needed no aftershave splash. So I didn't. I used my old friend QED DaVince Water to clean up and tone the shaved area (okay, who am I kidding? I splashed my entire face with it) and that was all. My skin felt great and to me that is saying something. Most cologne scented shave soaps have some irritation to them from the fragrance but not so this Eucris.

I suspect I will get better at lathering it and then we shall have a good idea of its overall performance. So for you guys who bought blind, keep a few things in mind. My issue with the lather is the same with MWF. It takes a tonne of work to lather properly and it shouldn't. I am convinced this is more to do with water quality. MWF likes soft water and so too I suspect do the Trumper soaps. If you have it well loaded and can't get it stabilised, give it the water and wait trick. It cannot hurt. I would really like to hear from any chaps who are using this or other Trumper soaps with softened or naturally soft water. I will keep you posted on the progress of this report and if I do put up a review this week, I will link it back here for discussion. For any of you other chaps who post up in the review section earlier than I do, feel free to link back here for the discussion. I am quite interested in the overall response to this soap.

Regards, Todd

Great write up, Todd. I won't be picking this soap up, but am enjoying all of the reading the hubbub about it.

Todd,

A great review on your part for a great soap on Trumpers. I used mine for a week straight just to make sure I was not premature in either praise or condemnation. I can now say without reservation Trumpers has scored a home run.
Love the lather, love the fragrance, love the lather, love the fragrance, love the lather, love the fragrance!
Sound like a broken record? This is just a wonderful product. One of the more fun things at B&B is that there will always be the whiners complaining about price or vegetable or some other affectation they presume to flaunt, but bottom line, for approximatley $30 I have a new locker king, a new morning wakeup, and another great Trumpers product.
I am going to give the soap a rest for a week or so and then start cycling my brushes thru it for the delightful fragrance. :tongue_sm

Todd,

A great review on your part for a great soap on Trumpers. I used mine for a week straight just to make sure I was not premature in either praise or condemnation. I can now say without reservation Trumpers has scored a home run.
Love the lather, love the fragrance, love the lather, love the fragrance, love the lather, love the fragrance!
Sound like a broken record? This is just a wonderful product. One of the more fun things at B&B is that there will always be the whiners complaining about price or vegetable or some other affectation they presume to flaunt, but bottom line, for approximatley $30 I have a new locker king, a new morning wakeup, and another great Trumpers product.
I am going to give the soap a rest for a week or so and then start cycling my brushes thru it for the delightful fragrance. :tongue_sm

Thank you Ron. A nice compliment indeed. You chaps who are new to the forum would do yourselves well to look up the Latermeister's postings on soaps and brushes. Particularly his French Soap compendium.

About the Eucris. Agreed, Trumper has a winning product here. I have used it with three brushes and it works well with them all. I have not used it with my floppier Vulfix 2236s. I suspect it does not have the backbone to load well. Overall this is superb addition to Trumper's catalogue and proves if effort is put into it, new products fully equal the old.

Excellent review Todd. Maybe after I use up some of my hoarded soap I'll pick up a puck.

Thank you Shawn. Unless you just have an averse opinion of the scent this is a great new soap from Trumper.

Regards, Todd

Thanks for the review. Mine is on its way! Now just looking to cooler weather as I really like Eucris when during the fall/winter season.

I just got mine today from Rasage Poulin (very fast service btw.) and I'm going to use it tomorrow.
I for one, like the scent.
It is strong, but it has a nice spicyness to it.

To put it bluntly, it is not a good soap.

Regards, Todd

Thank goodness someone can be honest. Well said.

Other forums are stuck on this theme that the lather from trumpers soap is good, and if you don't think so something is wrong with your "technique".

Frankly, I suspect those people are shaving with a cartridge and are not trying other products to compare and contrast.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My experience with Trumpers is that their creams are overrated and their soaps are underrated.

For creams, I find their coconut oil to be their best, but for soaps, I lke their rose, lime, and sandalwood. You can bet the mortgage that a puck of Eucris will appear in Chateau Ouch shortly. :thumbup1:

See? That is what makes this forum the best. People here just give straight up answers most times and leave the personality worship alone. I agree that Trumper creams are over rated. It is hilarious to me when I see people hitting AOS cream for being over priced at $22 and then laud Trumper for their $30 a jar cream. It is a good product but not the best by a long mile.

As for the Trumper soaps, again let me reiterate; my poor experience is with an older version of almond. It is the one that lists only two ingredients. Shave soap base and soap base. It may be my water or just that cake but the new Eucris easily bests it. Enjoy chaps. If you give the Eucris a fair shot I think you will be well rewarded.

Regards, Todd

I had my shave today with the Eucris soap.
It is wonderful to use. I made nice thick gobs of lather with little effort.
The scent I find very nice. As I said earlier it is a bit spicy.
Trumper's quality is there and it's a great soap.
I'm still going to say I like the Lime and coconut better, but the Eucris probably will have a permanent spot in my den.

I was never a big soap guy, I've used Dr Harris, Proraso, Conk, MWF and others, but the Trumpers is now my favourite.
It's very easy to get lather from.

Other forums are stuck on this theme that the lather from trumpers soap is good, and if you don't think so something is wrong with your "technique".

Frankly, I suspect those people are shaving with a cartridge and are not trying other products to compare and contrast.

Shockingly, some people can get excellent results from products that may not work for you!

:a47:

Well Ben I have to say I still cannot grade Trumper shave soap all that highly compared to my top soaps. I used Eucris about a month ago and was reminded of two things. First, I still like this scent. Second, Trumper shave soaps are not all that great. This soap still wants a heavy scrubbing while loading and gradual water additions. It is not horrid but for its price range and heritage it should be a LOT better. It always surprises me that people will go on and on about AOS shave soap(which is one of the world's best) as being too pricey at $45 per bowl but will go out and pay $36-40 per bowl for Trumper which isn't a patch on the former. Again, I like this one enough to keep it I just wish Trumper would have their contractor formulate a better shave soap.

Cheers, Todd

Last edited:
Top Bottom