What's new

Discussion Thread for Taylor St. James Review

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I, too, tend to shy away from colgne scented creams, Arlington being an exception that confirms the rule.

Well........ ya twisted my arm.:001_rolle

S

Sam

ouch said:
I, too, tend to shy away from colgne scented creams, Arlington being an exception that confirms the rule.

Well........ ya twisted my arm.:001_rolle

I stay away as well. Traded off a Floris Elite shave soap. I am into linear notes

Sam

damn you scotto! :001_rolle ...and I was going to branch out and try other shave brands..this is the only taylor cream that I haven't tried....now I probably have to go buy a tub..

HELP! I'M GETTING A SEVERE ONSET OF SCAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

This is my favorite of all the Taylors creams, even more than the Avocado. I really don't use creams that much anymore (Harris and T&H soap have won my face), but St. James is the only one I still use -- it gets hauled out mostly on the weekend. The scent is incredible, and the lather and moisturizing qualities are among the best in the Taylor line.

This cream is a good performer. The scent is very good but a bit too ordinary. Nothing unique like the Avocado. Smells a lot like cologne.

This is certainly not in my top 5, but I have no problem using it once in a while.

Excellent cream; first I ever used. Love the smell, it's less than you would expect but strangely addicting. Sometimes, when I'm in the bathroom even if I'm not shaving, I'll open it up and smell it just for kicks. It looks like clouds in the jar, and it's even better with some hot water and badger hair.

this is my favorite cream. i've been using it almost exclusively for about a month now. as much as i'm enjoying as long as it is available i will use it.

Price: cheaper than the other T's but more expensive than SCS or something.

Quality: Every cream from them has worked great, so they have consistency in my eyes.

Scent: Generic clean masculine scent, very youthful. Typical marine cologne smell. If you hated this type of smell it could be annoying

Latherability: Top notch, a little makes huge gobs of super dense, protecting lather.

Efficacy: does everything a cream should do, and does it well.

Moisturizing: This doesn't dry my face out at all, some creams do.

Packaging: Plastic is bad for the environment but they don't needlessly cut down trees for a cardboard box that would just be recycled.

This is pretty good stuff. The smell reminds me a lot of T&H 1805 (my favorite) but at a fraction of the cost. Makes a LOT of lather too.

It's interesting how the same cream can have so many opposite effects on people.

Price: Std TOBS prices, I think its worth it.

Quality: My batch came in a little too soft, I can pour it out of the container, like honey almost.

Scent: The scent stayed on for a long time for me! ? I guess you either love it or hate it. I don't particularly like the cologne scent, and it kick up a little allergic reaction in my throat from breathing it in all day.

Latherability: Being soft (my batch) the brush tends to pick up more than it needs, so very easy to generate lather and the quality of the lather is very good.

Efficacy: This cream provided a very good medium for the shave, I think better than the TOBS Almond that I have. But I do find it get's dry and thickened up a bit on when I am doing the final touch-up shaves.. a little more water to give it some slick.

Moisturizing Properties: This cream tightened my neck so much I can feel my face pull when I turn my head side to side. My skin was tight for about an hours afterwards. Maybe its cold outside (32 F), but it is very drying!

Packaging: same as other TOBS. not big deal.

Sounds like you got an off tub, then you picked up way too much cream with the brush, and that's why it dried your face out. Shave cream is basically soap and a ton of concentrated soap on your face will have a drying or even burning effect no matter what you are using. I've had the same problem with soft soaps if I load too much on the brush.

Sounds like you got an off tub, then you picked up way too much cream with the brush, and that's why it dried your face out. Shave cream is basically soap and a ton of concentrated soap on your face will have a drying or even burning effect no matter what you are using. I've had the same problem with soft soaps if I load too much on the brush.

that is good to know, I'll pay more attention to all the variables.

Nevertheless, I have tried it again, using smaller amount, this cream still drys me up more than the Almond version.

Last edited:
bit of a dig here, but better than starting a new thread...

I tried this from my lot of TOBS samples and was very impressed.
I've mainly been using my full-sized tub of Jermyn Street, and occassionally trying my samples - almond, limes, avocado, rose, QCS vostok, QCS cedarwood/lemongrass, QCS rose...and St James gives THE best lather out of them all.

Initially, like many, I didn't like the scent in the tub and found it a bit too 'soapy'. Once lathered though (did I mention this cream is a LATHER MONSTER?) it settles down to a nice clean, fresh, slightly cologne-smelling scent.

Moisturising qualities aren't great, adequate but certainly not the best of the TOBS range.

I can very easily predict seeing a full-sized tub of this in my cupboard from now on.

Where did you get your sample of this? I really want to try it but every time I look on one of the sites it's out of stock.

It's no secret. I love this cream.
I venerate it and praise it every chance I get.

So, this is just to say: great thread!:thumbup1:

Top Bottom