What's new

Discussion thread for shavemac Large # 177 23mm

M

modern man

That is a sweet brush Jim!

You may have me changing my mind on the SR. and personalized too, how many paychecks do I have to save? :biggrin:

:biggrin: This thread has been hanging around for a month! Leave it up to the doc to fix that!

Fix it??? I'm not going to....:biggrin:

Nice review of an ever nicer brush!!

Although having an arsenal of 107 brushes i keep on grasping again and again for my beloved Shavemacs. Those keep on rising in value in my daily shaving ritual more and more, every day, week and month......

There's absolutely no need for another shaving brush beyond Shavemac/ Savile Row.....:biggrin:

Well I'm going to dust this thread off again because this will be my first silver tip brush that I am going to purchase. Have been looking at this gem for quite sometime.

Regards,

When I was still lurking after first finding this forum. This tread was the one that inspired me to order my first badger brush. I now have three, the brother of the one being discussed, B&B Ebony in finest, and SR Il Bambino. I enjoy all three and rotate them daily but my custom personalized Shavemac that I started with remains my favorite. One of the things that got me back in to DE shaving was the great reviews that you guys posted.
Thanks,

When I was still lurking after first finding this forum. This tread was the one that inspired me to order my first badger brush. I now have three, the brother of the one being discussed, B&B Ebony in finest, and SR Il Bambino. I enjoy all three and rotate them daily but my custom personalized Shavemac that I started with remains my favorite.

Kenny, I think you are just the guy I need to talk to. I've been looking into trying out a Shavemac or Savile Row. I have a B&B Ebony in finest and a B&B horn in standard as my two brushes now (I used to have a pure badger no-name, and a Vulfix #2234 but I passed them both along when I got the B&B brush to try and get a couple friends to join in on the fun).

What exactly is the SR Il Bambino? I think I remember seeing on this forum someone use that name for the Savile Row 3118, but I could be mistaken.

In any event, I'm interested in anything you have to say about the brushes you have, particularly the Shavemac. I've been wanting to add something that has a bit more backbone than the B&B brush and also a more compact feeling. Does the Shavemac 177 fit that description? I'm not necessarily looking for a much smaller brush than the B&B, but something a bit smaller that is scrubbier and has a bit more control would be great.

Thanks for any input!

Hey everybody.

I'd like to chime in with my situation, if I may.

I've been shaving with a straight razor for going on two years now, and I've got close to twenty of them. My main stomping ground is over at Straight Razor Place, but I've been registered here for a while too.

Despite the fact I've been shaving with a straight razor for so long, the one piece of equipment I've yet to invest in is a good shaving brush! (I know, it's ridiculous when I think about it!) What have I been using this whole time, you ask? Some piece of crap Wilkenson Sword brush I got at Wal-Mart for 6 bucks or something. I'm not sure whether the bristles are synthetic or boar (almost certainly synthetic), but it's done the trick until now.

I had commissioned a hippopotamous ivory Super Silvertip brush from a guy who makes them about five months ago, but he seems to have vanished off the face of the earth, so I'm looking to buy a nice brush to tide me over. If he ever returns, I'd still be interested in having that brush completed, though.

Anyway, I really like the look of this brush and from what I've read, the Shavemac brushes have got a good reputation. Also, I think they look more elegant than a lot of the other brushes out there. For example, I don't really like the looks of the Rooney brushes for some reason. I'm sure they do a good job and all, but there's something about their stubby handles I don't care for. Just a design thing, I guess.

So how much is this brush? Isn't it 99 bucks or something? If anyone knows of a cheaper price, I'd be interested in hearing where to find it.

Erick,
In answer to your questions:
The Shavemac IMHO does have more backbone and is more managable than the B&B. I would call it more compact because it does not have as much bloom as the B&B. It has very soft tips and I am not sure it could be called "scrubby" but seems more so than the forum brush.
The SR is the 3118. I bought it as a travel brush but like it so much that I use it in my 3 brush rotation. As Ive said in other post I like the feeling of a smaller brush and the little 18mm is great. Some of the members, who are way more knowledgable than I, think that the Saville Rows are made by Shavemac, I don't know but the look, feel and quality are very much alike. I don't believe you can go wrong with either brand. I had great customer service from both Bernd at Shavemac and Charles at QED for the SR. I really enjoyed using the custom option to pick the color and shape of the Shavemac. Vintage Blades has Shavemac in stock and are also great to deal with should you decide on a model they stock and don't care to go with the personalization option. Hope this answered you questions.

How'd you get your initials added to the handle, goosemeplease?

Is that done for an extra charge or something? If so, how much?

Erick,
In answer to your questions:
The Shavemac IMHO does have more backbone and is more managable than the B&B. I would call it more compact because it does not have as much bloom as the B&B. It has very soft tips and I am not sure it could be called "scrubby" but seems more so than the forum brush.
The SR is the 3118...

Thanks for the response Kenny. Much appreciated:thumbup1:

Top Bottom