What's new

Discussion Thread for Penhaligon's English Fern

This thread is for discussing this review.

BTW, this cologne is a near smell-alike for Trumpers Wild Fern. I prefer the Penhaligons since I feel it is a bit less sweet than the Trumpers. Both are excellent products, though.

As followers of my cologne sampler posts will recall, I am working my way through all the Penhaligon's samples. English Fern is right up there along with their Hammam Bouquet. I have a few more to go before I am finished but these two are definite purchases. The Fern is just a warm, wonderful, soft and overall excellent scent. I really like it and can see wearing it from spring to fall. Doesn't quite strike me as a cold weather scent. -- Dennis

I like it but not a whole bunch, my fav is opus 1870 :)

I do see it more as a summer scent, especially in FL. I also think it is more unisex, and modern smelling than othes.

I love this stuff. It is very nostalgic for me. When I was a teenager working at a bank in a mall someone from Victoria's secret came down with their deposit. They gave me a small sample of thier version of this classic simply labeled "Fern". The font was even a rip off. Well, I loved it and used it while wooing my very first girlfriend. She loved the smell. I had searched for years trying to find a bottle of this until I came across the Penhaligon's and the Trumper's Wild Fern. Both are excellent and I wear them often. My wife loves the scent as well. And no, she's not the girl I used to date.

Chris

Just an outstanding scent- uniqe, manly , outdoorsy, not cloying, not sweet- smells like being in a garden in the evening- feet up relaxing.
Rest!

You know how you put on cologne in the morning and it is gone by the time you hit the office? THIS IS NOT THAT TYPE OF COLOGNE. BE AFRAID BE VERY AFRAID. Seriously, one spritz is all you need for an all day aroma.

I think it is a little too powerful when applied, but calms down within an hour or so to have an all day piney, woodsy scent with hints of fresh grass. I have received many compliments from the opposite sex. And I can smell it too when I wear it-- unlike most colognes which bcome invisible to your own nose within minutes. I would recommend this as a winter fragrance-- I think it is too powerful for summer wearing.

This stuff is really fantastic. The more I wear it the more I appreciate it. It keeps getting better and better. I think the price is pretty good actually, b/c 1 spray on me and that is more than enough for the day.

Chris

You know how you put on cologne in the morning and it is gone by the time you hit the office? THIS IS NOT THAT TYPE OF COLOGNE. BE AFRAID BE VERY AFRAID. Seriously, one spritz is all you need for an all day aroma.

I think it is a little too powerful when applied, but calms down within an hour or so to have an all day piney, woodsy scent with hints of fresh grass. I have received many compliments from the opposite sex. And I can smell it too when I wear it-- unlike most colognes which bcome invisible to your own nose within minutes. I would recommend this as a winter fragrance-- I think it is too powerful for summer wearing.

?? I found that the majority of Penhaligon's scents fade super -fast on me - the only one that lasts and I happen to like - is Castile.

English Fern fades in about an hour on me.

Unfortunately, English Fern is one of the few Penhaligons scents that I haven't been able to commit to. I do like the smell very much, and it would normally be right up my alley as far as what I like - I love green fragrances, mossy, earthy, etc. But EF has certain qualities that remind me of other things... primarily, a pet food store I used to work in! I swear, I can't smell English Fern without thinking of stocking bags of dog food. I don't know what it was in that store that smelled like fern, but it has kind of ruined my chances with English Fern. :frown:

Maybe I should buy a few bars of English Fern soap and try and reprogram my mind to make me think of a refreshing shower, rather than a pet food store!

I've got samples coming in, and the one I'm most looking forward to trying is English Fern. That said, I really like Castile, and I find it hard to imagine preferring anything else over it.

English Fern is really a great masculine scent. It along with Opus 1870 and Blenheim Bouquet are my favorite Penhaligons fragrances.

Top Bottom