What's new

Discussion Thread for Ogallala Bay Rum and Sandalwood Aftershave

Nice review Rik. This is one of my favorite aftershaves, as well. The scent is perfectly balanced, I think (so long as you shake the bottle first -- that's important!). Little burn, solid efficacy/performance. I'll often use this as an AS, followed by Tam Dao.

I'm not crazy about the Sandalwood. It's too sweet, I guess is the only way to describe it. I get a vanilla vibe out of it that I wish wasn't there.

But I like all the other Ogallala varieties, and I can't keep that stuff stocked. I go through a bottle a month, and that's not an exaggeration. :w00t:

I agree, at first I wasn't too sure of the sandalwood variable but it grew on me. I've have an extensive collection of sandalwood products. All of them combined have not produced the comments I receive on this product alone. I do know that the vanilla note adds to the appeal from the ladies in my household. Add the double strength cologne and it becomes a winning combination which seems to fit my personality.

I'm a amazed how much I have grown to love the bay leaf products. In this generation of designer and sophisticated fragrances, bay rum continues to prove itself when produced at the quality level of Ogallala. I am surprised with how many people, within my daily interactions, are unfamiliar with this fragrance.

Last edited:
Time to resurrect this thread.
I received a bottle from Bullgoose last week - just an amazing AS and scent. It stays close to the skin after within an hour too, so it won't overpower or offend anyone nearby.

What a coincidence as I just tried this A/S for the first time this morning. I was leery of how these two scents would mingle. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised! They go together like peas and carrots. On me, the bay rum seems to fade first and the sandalwood lingers much longer.

I'm liking it. A lot. Now I need some good sandalwood soap. :001_smile

Got a free sample of this and find it intoxicating. I, too, feel like it's very well balanced and I look forward greatly to using it. This is actually the first Ogallala product I tried and it inspired picking up one of their samplers. I find I like the Lime & Peppercorn a good bit, too, though I still prefer the Sandalwood. Great stuff!

I ordered the $1 sample of the original bay rum last week and the package arrived today. It came with a sample of the cologne also. I like the scent. It's not as spicy as Penaud's but it's a great bay rum scent. Looking forward to using the after shave tomorrow.

What a coincidence as I just tried this A/S for the first time this morning. I was leery of how these two scents would mingle. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised! They go together like peas and carrots. On me, the bay rum seems to fade first and the sandalwood lingers much longer.

I'm liking it. A lot. Now I need some good sandalwood soap. :001_smile

Ogallala has a Bay Rum and Sandalwood soap. Smells just like the AS and lathers pretty well also.

I received a bottle of this from West Coast last week. My first Ogallala purchase. I'd been using Dominica which I like but thought I'd try something new. I was a little put off by the sandalwood scent when I first opened the bottle. My spouse and daughter liked it immediately. It's grown on me too. It feels less astringent than the Dominica brand. I will try the other Ogallala products.

V

VR6ofpain

Beginning by lathering up with the Bay Rum & Sandalwood shaving soap, then moving into the shower with Bay Rum & Sandalwood bath soap and shampoo. Afterward splashing on the Bay Rum & Sandalwood aftershave followed with the "Double Strength Bay Rum Cologne". If that isn't enough, give the bathroom a spritz of the Bay Rum & Sandalwood air freshener.
If I read this (from the review) correctly, you shave before you shower, then throw on the AS after the shower? This is an interesting order of operations. I usually shave after a shower...or I'll shave at night, with no shower involved.

Top Bottom