What's new

Discussion Thread for Merkur 39C Review

Yeah I have the prototype but I had to have one of the factory Slant hammers to see if it was identical and to have a backup. So I ordered from Lee's Razors as soon as he announced on the shopping forum that he they were on the way. When I got in from work tonight there was a box sitting on the porch. I had a cat to feed before I could open it but I finally got it out of there and it is a beauty.

The fit and finish are impeccable with no tool marks under the plate and the spiral knurling seems a bit deeper then on my proto or my 38C. The razor is identical to mine being no more then a 38C handle with the standard Merkur slant head. For my thoughts on it there is a review here.

Where is the link to the discussion thread on the write up? Aggressiveness is a "9"? What is the standard scale?

I ordered mine the other day and it will be the only DE I own that is not a British made Gillette.

I'm looking forward to the "slant" experience.

Where is the link to the discussion thread on the write up? Aggressiveness is a "9"? What is the standard scale?
This is now the discussion thread for the review. I asked the Mods to change the title to keep it simple. I am new at writing reviews and did not think of it initially. As far as a standard scale for aggressiveness, I think that an early Super Speed would rate a 5 while a Red Tip might rate an 8. The ratings I gave the 39C are my impression only. When others review the razor they may have a completely different conclusion. The old YMMV thing. :smile:

Are you saying it is more aggressive than the regular slant. My standard slant is tricky and aggressive if you are not careful.

Are you saying it is more aggressive than the regular slant. My standard slant is tricky and aggressive if you are not careful.

Well it is heavier and there is more leverage due to the longer handle. Yes I have to use more care and attention or I will nick myself. I pretty much use Feathers in my slants so combine that with the heft and length and it is pretty aggressive. More then a standard Merkur slant in my hand.

They definitely look nice, however since I don't use the Slant because it's too aggressive for me, I don't think I'll order the Slant Hammer. But for the Slant lovers, definitely a very nice instrument.

I got mine yesterday. Ordered from Lee and had it in less than 48 hours coast to coast. Used it for the first time this morning. I didn't notice any real difference between it and my HD Slant. Just in case though, I started with a Dorko blade.

I got mine yesterday. Ordered from Lee and had it in less than 48 hours coast to coast. Used it for the first time this morning. I didn't notice any real difference between it and my HD Slant. Just in case though, I started with a Dorko blade.

:confused:

Really? I just got a regular HD Slant a few weeks ago and am very interested in this version but if there is little difference between the two, I might pass on it.

:confused:

Really? I just got a regular HD Slant a few weeks ago and am very interested in this version but if there is little difference between the two, I might pass on it.

The differences are the weight and the handle length. I grip the handle up near the head so for me the handle length has little effect except for the ATG pass. You still get a great shave with either. This is the same as trading off between a fat boy and a slim or a SS and a tech.:wink:

Mine is on it's way. :smile:

I may hold off shaving tomorrow so I can use it when it arrives.

The rest of you who've received yours, I'm jealous. :tongue_sm

The differences are the weight and the handle length. I grip the handle up near the head so for me the handle length has little effect except for the ATG pass. You still get a great shave with either. This is the same as trading off between a fat boy and a slim or a SS and a tech.:wink:

Thanks Rick. I don't know why I was so worried - I know I'm gonna pick one up regardless :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Top Bottom